The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 07-24-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road
Default For the LEO's: What happens when you make an error writing a ticket?

From Z06Vette.com. Guy got a ticket in Kentucky on the way home from the Z06Fest and the LEO made errors on the ticket.

Thanks guys.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100630

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Depends on the error?

In most courts if the error is not material to the charge, the judge will consider it a scribners error and either ignore it or allow the state (officer) an opportunity to ammend the citation.

IF it's a material error then you have grounds to contest the charge.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
MADN3SS

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Depends on the error?
Just direction of travel and year of the car.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
Unread 07-25-2006, 12:22 AM   #4
Shadow

Name :

After reading the link, I'd say it depends on the court. Some jurisdictions are more strict on thier officers than others. My experience is obviously here in Florida.

I'd make the call to the DA/SAO (?) and ask. Can't hurt. Also check to see if there's reciprosity between Ky & NJ? If not, just don't go back to Ky If there is, then he'll need to do something.

Directions are relative. Did you know that I-4 goes North? Although you may be headed on a compass heading of lets say south, the road for court purposes my actually run east of west. Confused yet?

Anyway, I'd either run it by the prosecutors office up there (remember, they represent the state, not the violator) or a local traffic attorney in the area where he received the citation.

If all else fails, some states attorney's *(DA's) will allow you to plead to a lesser charge, mail in the fine and keep the violation off ther record. There's always traffic school to keep the insurance whores at bay
Unread 07-25-2006, 01:09 AM   #5
MADN3SS

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Directions are relative. Did you know that I-4 goes North? Although you may be headed on a compass heading of lets say south, the road for court purposes my actually run east of west. Confused yet?
Gordon,

I understand that I-4 goes north, but technically speaking it is I-4 East or I-4 West. Whatever the Federal agency is that handles Highways says an even number highway runs east/west and an odd number runs north/south. Couldn't you use that argument?

You know what got me for the longest time until they finally changed the signs? Traveling on I-275 toward Dale Mabry, the signs only read 92 East and 92 West. Um, Dale Mabry runs North/South. I don't know of it ever running east/west. I noticed the signs now read 92 East/West (Northbound or Southbound). Must have confused a lot of people.

Scott

Unread 07-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADN3SS
Gordon,

I understand that I-4 goes north, but technically speaking it is I-4 East or I-4 West. Whatever the Federal agency is that handles Highways says an even number highway runs east/west and an odd number runs north/south. Couldn't you use that argument?

Nope

You know what got me for the longest time until they finally changed the signs? Traveling on I-275 toward Dale Mabry, the signs only read 92 East and 92 West. Um, Dale Mabry runs North/South. I don't know of it ever running east/west. I noticed the signs now read 92 East/West (Northbound or Southbound). Must have confused a lot of people.

Scott
Sure did.
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Hot Pursuit

Name :
Hot Pursuit is on a distinguished road

I'd say the year of the car is no biggie. Errors happen, and alot of cars look similiar from year to year especially if they aren't fanatics about them like us.

The direction thing could be like Shadow said. Another example is northbound and southbound I-275 at the Howard Franklin (Ol' Frankenstein) bridge. The compass would say you are crossing the bay at an east or west direction, but they oficially consider it north or southbound. The reason is that almost all of the road as it goes through Hillsborough into Pinellas and on into Manatee County is north and south. The only exception is the jog over the bay. To change the format used to explain the direction would be VERY confusing.

Ultimately if the officer amends it it would be ok in most jurisdictions. The important info is the drivers name, car tag, and whatever was used to make the clock (ie radar, laser. speedo information). One major no no would be to use the ticket printers in alot of police cars now adays and print out a ticket for the registerd owner of the car when it wasnt the registered owner driving. FHP has the printers, and some other agencys do too.
Hot Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
MADN3SS

Name :

I appreciate your views guys. Thanks.

Unread 07-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Hot Pursuit

Name :
Hot Pursuit is on a distinguished road

Your
Hot Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
Shadow

Name :

Same