The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 12-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #21
sgsvette
Corvette School

Name :
sgsvette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenavitz
Another option for YNKEDAD that would be less expensive if he/she would use their own car is the local chapter of NASA (National Auto Sport Assn.) which is affiliated with the Performance Driving Club (PDC). The web site is drivenasafl.com
I believe the cost for the school is about $250 per day (Sat or Sun). Sebring, Moroso and Homestead are the tracks visited by this club.
In theory it sounds cheaper, but by the time you factor in the cost of replacing a set of street tires ($1300-$1500),proper brake fluid before going on track ($40-$80), a set of brake pads ($200-$400) and wear and tear on your street car, is it worth it? Not to mention that you should have a 5 point harness for the driver as well as the instructor and that could run another $800-$1000.
A very important factor is that you only get 3 to 4 sessions per day with the local club schools. How many of those schools are you going to have to attend to learn proper car control? Who is going to be sitting next to you in the car, another amateur?
Remember the old saying," you get what you pay for".
sgsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #22
bbenavitz

Name :
bbenavitz has disabled reputation

sgsvette, I fully agree that you get what you pay for. However, I believe that for a "first timer" that the local clubs offer a good value. As you know, most beginners don't need a new set of tires, but they do need to ensure their brake fluid is changed and that the pads have a least 50% life. Just the experience to be able to drive your street car on a race track is a thrill the ever gear head needs to try at least once. They get good instruction in a safe and controlled enviroment and most students have a great time and come back or go on to schools like yours.

I think the jury is still out on the safety effectivness of five point harness versus the standard belts and air bags in current vehicles. I do believe that schools like yours are also good value because the instruction is first rate and that the program is built on a professional platform not to mention you provide a great, well prepared car.
bbenavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #23
sgsvette
Corvette School

Name :

I agree that a beginner or anyone else doesn't need a new set of tires to participate in a track day, but they will surely use up a huge portion of the tire life once you track the car. It won't be long before you will need to buy new tires, specially if it's the rainy season.

The problem with using stock brake pads new or used is that after a few laps the brakes will fade and pretty soon the car just won't stop. Stock brake pads can only take so much heat before loosing its braking ability.

I will disagree however on the 5 point harness versus standard belts/air bags. I think that not only do the 5 point harness belts keep you strapped in without moving around in the seat, but also keep you in the seat in case of a side impact. I don't know of too many instructors that will get in a track car without having the proper harness.

As you said "Just the experience to be able to drive your street car on a race track is a thrill the ever gear head needs to try at least once" is exactly what I am trying to promote. I work very closely with clubs like NASA and bring many school graduates to participate in their lapping events.

We are at most track events throughout the year, and invite and welcome all Corvette owners to stop by. We help anyone with a problem and usually have parts in stock to get them back on track.
Unread 12-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #24
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Zo6 vs Ferrari F 430 @ Sebring...

wait a sec...
Unread 12-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #25
bbenavitz

Name :
bbenavitz has disabled reputation

Not to be a pest, but I disagree about the need for a 5 point harness. As you know most driving clubs in the United States who have in car instructors don't require the students to have a safety harness and the instructors are in the cars with the students doing hot laps. I have been doing this for 22 years. Also, as another example this September I was at the Porsche Driving Experience at Barber Motorsports Park in a stock 2006 Porsche Carrera S at speed doing hot laps with David Donohue who as you know is a factory Porsche DP driver. We did not have a safety harness.
bbenavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #26
sgsvette
Corvette School

Name :

bbenavitz

we won't with the harness issue. You keep using the belts you think are safe enough for you, and I'll keep using the 5 or 6 point harness for my students.