The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 06-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default Dive! Dive! Dive!..aka: it's Leaking again!

Ok, a few months ago I had the over at Antivenom replace all the weatherstripping on my 87.

They did a great job and for a while, no leaks

Today, I get in the car and start down the road, raining pretty hard, and I notice by the wet spot on my left knee, that I've developed 2 little leaks, one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.

Looks like they're coming from the top corner of the window then following the rubber down to about 1/4 way where it drops off

Any suggestions?
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Ok, a few months ago I had the over at Antivenom replace all the weatherstripping on my 87.

They did a great job and for a while, no leaks

Today, I get in the car and start down the road, raining pretty hard, and I notice by the wet spot on my left knee, that I've developed 2 little leaks, one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side.

Looks like they're coming from the top corner of the window then following the rubber down to about 1/4 way where it drops off

Any suggestions?
SAWZALL! Make it a permanent roadster and don't drive it in the rain !
Seriously......... major bummer. My wife's Sebring convertable leaks like that, and it's frustrating. Have you tried wiping the weatherstriping with silicon to make it pliable again? Do you think that maybe the window has gone slightly out of adjustment? Next time you're in the AntiVenom area have 'em check it out. In the meantime..............got any empty Dunkin Donuts cups?
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
SAWZALL! Make it a permanent roadster and don't drive it in the rain !
Seriously......... major bummer. My wife's Sebring convertable leaks like that, and it's frustrating. Have you tried wiping the weatherstriping with silicon to make it pliable again? Do you think that maybe the window has gone slightly out of adjustment? Next time you're in the AntiVenom area have 'em check it out. In the meantime..............got any empty Dunkin Donuts cups?
Andy
I'll try the silicone idea, thanks. And no Dunkin Donuts but I think I've got a supply of Krispy Kreme cups around here somewhere
Unread 06-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll try the silicone idea, thanks. And no Dunkin Donuts but I think I've got a supply of Krispy Kreme cups around here somewhere
You need to look at the butter flies on the front corners of the roof,if there bent up just a little the window will leak at the front corner of the door glass!!It's easy to bend them if you remove the top allot,alls it takes is a little bump!!They need to set purdy snug against the A pillar and Top Side rubbers with the window down!! If that looks good you'll need to adjust the front down just a little!!It's not hard but it will take you about 1 1/2 hrs because you have to remove the visors and top windshield inside trim!! Check it out,I just had to ajust my 94 down just a little a while back because it was leaking there during a Heavy rain!! It's purdy fresh in my head if you need help!

Unread 06-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
You need to look at the butter flies on the front corners of the roof,if there bent up just a little the window will leak at the front corner of the door glass!!It's easy to bend them if you remove the top allot,alls it takes is a little bump!!They need to set purdy snug against the A pillar and Top Side rubbers with the window down!! If that looks good you'll need to adjust the front down just a little!!It's not hard but it will take you about 1 1/2 hrs because you have to remove the visors and top windshield inside trim!! Check it out,I just had to ajust my 94 down just a little a while back because it was leaking there during a Heavy rain!! It's purdy fresh in my head if you need help!

Thanks junkSince I lack both tools and technical know how, I'll either get with Greg or head over to Mikes or AutoXTC and see if they can do something with it?
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
gmjunkie

Quote:
Thanks junkSince I lack both tools and technical know how, I'll either get with Greg or head over to Mikes or AutoXTC and see if they can do something with it?
All you need is a 10 mm wrench, Philip's screwdriver and the top wrench!
Unread 06-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Shadow, try AntiVenom first, they installed it so they will probably stand behind their work. It could be a defective piece of weatherstripping. Wiping the w/s down with silicone lube could cure the problem.

On my white vert I had a leak where the top meets the windshield. I used a silicone lube on the weatherstripping on both pieces and BAM, no more leak. I used the spray and did the rest of the rubber.

Silicone is a wonderful thing. (insert mental picture here)

98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
All you need is a 10 mm wrench, Philip's screwdriver and the top wrench!
Now those I have
Unread 06-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Shadow, try AntiVenom first, they installed it so they will probably stand behind their work. It could be a defective piece of weatherstripping. Wiping the w/s down with silicone lube could cure the problem.

On my white vert I had a leak where the top meets the windshield. I used a silicone lube on the weatherstripping on both pieces and BAM, no more leak. I used the spray and did the rest of the rubber.

Silicone is a wonderful thing. (insert mental picture here)

I'll definately talk with Greg. It's just that I hate to impose on him (his crew took a long time doing this the first time and didn't charge me near what they should have)

The other thing is I'm in Pinellas County almost daily and rarely in the Seffner area.

I'll try the silicone today.

And yes....the mental picture HAS been made
Unread 06-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
gmjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
I'm sure it has nothing to do with what Greg or the Guys at AntiVenom done!! New Weatherstrips shrink a little after being in the heat!!Most of the time things just need a little adjustment after about 3-6 months of Heat and flexing down the road!!Ever been to the corvette plant and seen how they twist the crap out of them as they come off the line with the big pipes bolted to the floor staggered?? It's for this exact reason,to make the weatherstrips and suspension bushings settle down and shift to there natural state!! If they didn't do this your New Corvette would be plagued with Water Leaks,Rattles and Squeaks,Not to mention hard to keep an alignment for the first 1-3,000 miles!!If I fix one that has been Damaged to the point that I had to remove major body and suspension parts,the first thing I do is check it for water leaks and do the alignment!! Then I take it out and find the roughest wash boardy road I can find and blast it down it 3-4 times,take it back to the shop check for water leaks,adjust accordingly,and redo the alignment because it will be off!! After that it will be Good to Go!!