The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 11-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough
Default Long tube headers question?????

I was thinking of putiing on some Melrose headers soon. They are jet coated and have a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car. Does anyone have any experience with these headers? Many thanks in advance.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Check with Antivenom before going that route.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

The headers look nice........ But I'd want to hear from someone who has installed them too before buying them..... http://www.melroseheaders.com/
Unread 11-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking DynaTech

No Experience, but I am are installing these on the "Zee" in January.

They are on order.

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...tegory_Code=c5

JIM
Unread 11-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
THOR

Name :

John at AutoXTC is doing the install and has extensive experience in this area. I can't wait to see and hear them. Also placing a insulated Elite Engineering tunnel plate to decrease the console heat and body flex.
Unread 11-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :

Hey Mark,

I installed Melrose LT on mine (your sister car) several mos ago. I have been very satisfied w/ the fit & finish as well as the pleasant growl during acceleration.

I noticed only a slight improvement in performance which might be because I did not do it in conjunction w/ a CAI. Overall, my #'s are a disappointment according to Revxtreme's dyno: 342hp/340rwtq. I gained 16 hp from the dyno tune which means my hp (with the headers already added) was at 326...pretty anemic I'd say. My mistake was not doing a baseline before adding the headers, but according to what I read, the headers alone should add about 15 hp. That would make my bone stock hp # in the low 300's (uncommonly low).

This, coupled w/ 4 electronic failures in 8000 mi, have contributed to making my '07 a HUGE disappointment. In short, the headers are great but the car sucks.
Unread 11-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Default Beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeepster View Post
Hey Mark,

I installed Melrose LT on mine (your sister car) several mos ago. I have been very satisfied w/ the fit & finish as well as the pleasant growl during acceleration.

I noticed only a slight improvement in performance which might be because I did not do it in conjunction w/ a CAI. Overall, my #'s are a disappointment according to Revxtreme's dyno: 342hp/340rwtq. I gained 16 hp from the dyno tune which means my hp (with the headers already added) was at 326...pretty anemic I'd say. My mistake was not doing a baseline before adding the headers, but according to what I read, the headers alone should add about 15 hp. That would make my bone stock hp # in the low 300's (uncommonly low).

This, coupled w/ 4 electronic failures in 8000 mi, have contributed to making my '07 a HUGE disappointment. In short, the headers are great but the car sucks.
I am not selling services...but take your Vette over to Greg and have him Dyno it.....Tune it....and Redyno it. He took my Zee at the Corvette Show in Tampa and Computer Tuned it...Its like Night and Day!!!!!...Thats even before we are going to put the Headers on next month.

http://www.antivenomefi.com/

Jim
Unread 11-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
THOR

Name :

Hey Beepster,
I know you not happy with your performance. Who did the original tune? Maybe it needs to be retuned. Also CAI would help move more air and give you some boost there. Just my .02 worth.What electrical failures are you having with your vette? Bummer.
Unread 11-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mte.smiles View Post
Hey Beepster,
I know you not happy with your performance. Who did the original tune? Maybe it needs to be retuned. Also CAI would help move more air and give you some boost there. Just my .02 worth.What electrical failures are you having with your vette? Bummer.
Orig. tune by Revxtreme...gained 16 Hp which is pretty good gain, I think. I've got 25+ missing HP somewhere in this car.??? Electronic failures:

1. Power conv. top (had to manually raise, dealer had to reprogram)
2. Passenger air bag (dealer replaced control module & air bag)
3. Lost all dash electronics, NAV, radio, etc. (happened 4 times during extended cruise, then self corrected...dealer could not fix or explain)
4. Total shutdown, NO Fob recognition, (could not enter or start car); car towed, $75 cab ride, happened during Vette cruise. Dealer replaced Fob receiver module.

I have had 3 conversations w/ the factory and have agreed to return the car to BG for a tranfusion/heart transplant, or whatever per GM suggestion. Stay tuned......