The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 09-18-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Second attempt....

JAN...This post is comprised of several posts from another thread entitled "We're Shopping", that None of the Vendors here replied to. So I figured...maybe it was in the wrong section, and/or maybe it was just missed.

Here goes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
..My wife (Tx momma) wants to put a BORLA cat back system with the Quad tips on her 2000 C5 Mn6. She wants an Aggressive Rumble while at idle, and a nice take off/wot attention getting sound. Basically a 2,3,1or2 set up on the rating chart. NOTE: She does NOT want drone while cruising (at least no more than what my Magnapack system produces) .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rC2HA5w3B7I

Question(s)...**In the link above, are those Borla STINGERS and do they come in Quad tips? I think they do.

**I have found them for $1099.99 from Mid America Motorworks, But I'm uncertain if they're quad's. Anyone know where I can get them cheaper?
** Also, I'm looking for a place to have them installed (at one of the forum sponsors shops down south).

JAN...We're looking at having Both Vette's Dyno tuned (and maybe more) the same day. If ANYONE wants to PM me to discuss any or all of this, Feel free I'm not much into "on the spot" phone conversations (at first). Also, beware, I'm NOT a gear head!
Besides, This way I WON'T FORGET as I'll have all of the information handy.

And maybe More? Translated...Means I'm looking for more POWER for my 2005 C6 A4.
So, who can "Hook a Brutha Up"?

~Ray

Quote:
Well, I put it out there (via this thread) and have yet to converse with any of our vendors.??
My shopping list and installs etc include, but isn't limited to...
Definite stuff:
Borla's (cat back with X-pipe) for Angel's 2000 C5.
Dyno's for both her C5 and my C6.
Brake pads etc (ceramic) for my C6.
Possibilities:
A CAI and Possibly Coated Headers Or a Cam pkg.for my C6 (I'm Not Sure).

TIA,

~Ray
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

I have found that, for whatever reason, getting most vendors to reply to specific posts like this, or even PMs/emails, is like pulling teeth. I don't know if it's that they don't have time (this is what I suspect), that they don't want to put things in writing, that they're just not "computer people", or what. They all seem to want you to call, but that's not so convenient for some customers, for various reasons.

I've tried this with a BUNCH of vendors. So far, only two have been prompt and attentive in electronic communications; one in Georgia, one in Illinois.

My suggestion? Do your own research, pick your own parts, don't worry too much about who is cheapest, and just work with whatever vendor you feel most comfortable with. There's going to be plenty of expense and hassle no matter who you use. Either that or just take money to the vendor, close your eyes, and let him pick everything. That works too...with the right vendor, and enough cash.

Remember, there is nothing like STOCK. Once you head down the mod road, it's kinda "you broke it, you bought it". Yes, even for catbacks. Be sure you are ready for that.

For the specific stuff you listed, catbacks are fine (pick one). I wouldn't bother with a dyno tune until you at least get headers. There' s just not much there. For your car, if you do headers OR cam you will get more from the cam, but if you pick a cam that does well with stock exhaust it will be less than ideal with headers (you'll leave quite a bit of power on the table). OTOH headers alone don't make all THAT much more power. I did headers, CAI, dyno tune, ported TB, and made 27 rwhp. A fun increase, but not really all that much, especially for the money it cost. And definitely not civilized. It only made sense as a first step, and even then I might have been better off just putting a FI setup on an otherwise stock car. If you want a power increase that is completely painless and has NO downsides other than expense, put a set of AFR 205s on it.

Just imo/ime. Good luck!
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

What does "FI" and "NA" mean and what are AFR 205s?
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What does "FI" and "NA" mean and what are AFR 205s?
In order,

FI Forced Induction-blower or superchager, etc
NA Naturally Aspirated, means no FI, turbo, the motor itself makes all the power.

AFR is a cylinder head producing company, they make about the best heads out there for the LSx series.

Ray, if you are willing to come to Tampa I will have Tracy get you a package price on everything you posted. Look for his PM shortly.

Thank you

Brad
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet

Remember, there is nothing like STOCK. Once you head down the mod road, it's kinda "you broke it, you bought it". Yes, even for catbacks. Be sure you are ready for that.

For your car, if you do headers OR cam you will get more from the cam, but if you pick a cam that does well with stock exhaust it will be less than ideal with headers (you'll leave quite a bit of power on the table).
Just imo/ime. Good luck!
Well, my car has Magnaflow Magnapacks with x-pipe. So I wonder if headers are even worth it?
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@RevXtreme
Ray, if you are willing to come to Tampa I will have Tracy get you a package price on everthing you posted. Look for his PM shortly.

Thank you

Brad
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Bradzvette
PW Pimp, keeper O' 'da thread

Name :
Bradzvette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, my car has Magnaflow Magnapacks with x-pipe. So I wonder if headers are even worth it?
One of the best bang for the buck bolt ons out there. Combine those with a cold air induction system and a good tune and you will have a very nice set up. Definite seat of the pants improvement.
Bradzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@RevXtreme
One of the best bang for the buck bolt ons out there.
Feelin' good Now!
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Ray, I sent a reply to your thread earlier. Yes Borla's come in Quad tips and you might want to contact Corvettes West. I got my Borla Stingers there for $1100 installed.

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

I might be the only guy that thinks headers are not a particularly good bang-for-buck bolt-on for C5s/C6s. They just don't make that much power, and they're EXPENSIVE. The thing is, the factory manifolds are really very good, maybe the best ever put on a Detroit V8.

Headers alone will get you about 15 rwhp, depending. Good ones are $1500-1800 with cats, and then there's $300-600 for installation. A CAI will get you 5-(maybe)10 rwhp and will run $250-500, plus $150-250 installation. A tune is $500. These prices are "roughly" and you may do better on a package. Add all that up and you're looking at $3500 for about 25 rwhp, or $140/rwhp. Not a good ratio. A cam that works with stock exhaust and is pretty streetable will get 35-40 rwhp and cost just under $2k, installed and tuned. $50/rwhp, now that's more like.

The AFRs are not the cheapest way to go, but they are the best investment in a lot of ways. They have NO downsides: they will make more power everywhere, have better throttle response, get better gas mileage, and not effect your idle, driveability, or reliability. Figure 30-35 rwhp on an otherwise stock motor. Around $3000-3500 installed, depending, and they don't even need a tune if you leave everything else as-is. $100/rwhp.

A centrifugal blower kit is about $9k installed, and will add from 150-200 rwhp on an otherwise stock engine. $45-60/rwhp.

All just ime/imo.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote