The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 09-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
naples

Name :
naples is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Pony cars coming to busch series?

I was reading this today on Jayski's, what a great idea to race Camaro's Challengers, Mustangs, and a to be determined toyota product. Hopefully they would be stock, and V8's. I think it would make for some great racing. Just think stock cars based on stock cars! Here is the article;

Pony Cars Coming To Series: NASCAR hopes to inject new life into its Busch Series by changing the types of cars raced, beginning as early as 2009, according to multiple sources familiar with the project. If plans go according to schedule, the next-generation Busch Series cars will be Chevy Camaros, Dodge Challengers, Ford Mustangs and an as-yet-to-be named Toyota model, sources said. Ford overhauled the Mustang as a 1960s-retro model in 2005, to positive critical and commercial results. Chevrolet and Dodge will release similarly retro-themed Camaros and Challengers, respectively, by the 2009 model year. The Mustang, Camaro and Challenger all are two-door coupes with rear-wheel drive and available V-8 engines, a hugely popular combination in the halcyon days of 1960s muscle cars. A switch to these cars - plus whichever model Toyota chooses to campaign - would make a huge amount of sense, as it would help the Busch Series have its own distinct identity apart from Nextel Cup and help remove the stigma of the series as "Cup Lite," as some call it now. Sources familiar with the project said NASCAR has discussed the idea of switching cars with the manufacturers and has received a positive reception for the idea.(SPEEDtv.com)(9-15-2007)
Unread 09-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

It would certainly be better than truck racing.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
LAAllison

Name :
LAAllison has disabled reputation
Default Pony Car race

Could be good IF there's no Toyota. I try my best to leave foreign stuff alone.
I don't watch NASCAR now because of the foreign stuff.
LAAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAllison
Could be good IF there's no Toyota. I try my best to leave foreign stuff alone.
I don't watch NASCAR now because of the foreign stuff.
OK....
Chevy - Built in Canada
Ford - Built in Mexico
Dodge - Built in Canada
Toyota - Built in USA

You're right, until Ford, Chevy & Dodge bring those jobs back to the US, I wouldn't watch it either.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
88vert

Name :
88vert has disabled reputation

I'M ALL FOR IT IF THEY ARE STOCK CARS. Most people today don't even know what stock car racing was. Notice I said WAS!! This spectacle called NASCAR we have today is not even close to stock car racing!
88vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
Rebekah7155

Name :
Rebekah7155 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naples
I was reading this today on Jayski's, what a great idea to race Camaro's Challengers, Mustangs, and a to be determined toyota product. Hopefully they would be stock, and V8's. I think it would make for some great racing. Just think stock cars based on stock cars! Here is the article;

Pony Cars Coming To Series: NASCAR hopes to inject new life into its Busch Series by changing the types of cars raced, beginning as early as 2009, according to multiple sources familiar with the project. If plans go according to schedule, the next-generation Busch Series cars will be Chevy Camaros, Dodge Challengers, Ford Mustangs and an as-yet-to-be named Toyota model, sources said. Ford overhauled the Mustang as a 1960s-retro model in 2005, to positive critical and commercial results. Chevrolet and Dodge will release similarly retro-themed Camaros and Challengers, respectively, by the 2009 model year. The Mustang, Camaro and Challenger all are two-door coupes with rear-wheel drive and available V-8 engines, a hugely popular combination in the halcyon days of 1960s muscle cars. A switch to these cars - plus whichever model Toyota chooses to campaign - would make a huge amount of sense, as it would help the Busch Series have its own distinct identity apart from Nextel Cup and help remove the stigma of the series as "Cup Lite," as some call it now. Sources familiar with the project said NASCAR has discussed the idea of switching cars with the manufacturers and has received a positive reception for the idea.(SPEEDtv.com)(9-15-2007)

Toyota Celica maybe?
I think this sounds like a lot of fun.
Rebekah7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Bracket Monster

Name :
Bracket Monster is on a distinguished road

Toyota doesnt make the celica anymore, but in 2009 they will have the new Supra, so they would probably use that.
Bracket Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Rebekah7155

Name :
Rebekah7155 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracket Monster
Toyota doesnt make the celica anymore, but in 2009 they will have the new Supra, so they would probably use that.

well yeah...I was trying to think of a somewhat classic car for Toyota.
Rebekah7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Bracket Monster

Name :
Bracket Monster is on a distinguished road

lol yea thats true, the mustang, camaro, and challenger are all the retro style, toyota doesnt have anything like that, if they use the supra, the new supra is really futuristic looking, will stick out pretty bad in the races, but hey its an import what can u expect, all ricers stick out in the crowd.
Bracket Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK
OK....
Chevy - Built in Canada
Ford - Built in Mexico
Dodge - Built in Canada
Toyota - Built in USA

You're right, until Ford, Chevy & Dodge bring those jobs back to the US, I wouldn't watch it either.
Jeeze, good point Steve. What's American and whats not?