The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 09-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default Polk Deputies:(

I'm sure most have heard by now:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/4221811.html

Sept. 28, 2006, 5:52PM
Florida deputy killed in traffic stop; another injured

By PHIL DAVIS
Associated Press

LAKELAND, Fla. — A man who had been pulled over for a traffic violation shot two sheriff's deputies today, killing one of them and prompting an intensive manhunt that forced a lockdown at three schools, officials said.

The shooter was first approached during a traffic stop, but he fled into a wooded area when the officer began asking him about his identity, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said.

That officer and a deputy who arrived seconds later with a police dog chased the suspect into the woods. Both officers and the dog were hit by gunfire, Judd said.

The suspect exchanged fire with more officers shortly afterward when they approached a house in the wooded area, but he got away, Judd said.

"We will not sleep. We will not rest until we have the suspect in custody for this heinous action today," a visibly shaken Judd said.

The shooting occurred near Kathleen High School, which was locked down, Wood said. A woman at the school who would identify herself only as Mrs. Platt said students were locked in their classrooms and were safe.

Two other schools farther away also were locked down.

Authorities cordoned off a large area around the suspect's car but had not evacuated any homes. Helicopters circled in wide arcs as emergency vehicles raced up and down roads.

Television video footage showed officers with shields searching a wooded area with traffic backed up on nearby Interstate 4, which runs through the city about 35 miles east of Tampa.

Officers arrived from neighboring counties to assist in the search.

Judd said 10,000 to 15,000 people live in the area. Officers were going house to house in some areas asking people to lock themselves inside.

The sheriff identified the slain deputy as Vernon Matthew Williams, 39. The other deputy was shot in the leg and will survive, he said. Williams' police dog was also fatally wounded.

Williams, a husband and father of three, had been with the sheriff's office since April 1994.

Nothings "routine" out here....ever!

RIP bros
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Damn..... Sounds like some more people might get killed before this is all over and done with. The guy is probably in a home with the owners at gunpoint. Or already dead.

Scary stuff......

It's a tough job you guys do.
Unread 09-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

.It just makes me sick that people are like that.
There are too many crazy people out there today and nobody’s safe anymore
Suicide King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

Sad when this happens. I feel for the families. So many violent people who put such little value on human lives. Hopefully they will get him soon and then we will have one less scumbag running free. RIP

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :

Looks like it's over

I was just loading my gear in the car to go over when a buddy called. Looks like they capped him at about 0930 hrs.

D/R/T=Dead Right There...don't f**k with a pissed off swat team

Looks like he had the deputies weapon with him when they did him

As a sidebar, according to the news media, yesterday was the slain officers wifes birthday

What a day to remember for life.....RIP and God bless her and the kids as well...

Gordon
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation
Unhappy

I'm glad they got him but very sorry about the 2 deputies. My heart goes out to the family members.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that they killed the bastard. I knew the suspect would not survive. The found him hiding in the brush.

Sorry to hear about the 3 deputies. The K-9 is considered an officer, correct?

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking TAMPA TRIBUNE

By DAVE NICHOLSON / The Tampa Tribune and
CHRIS CHMURA / Tampa Bay Online

LAKELAND - The suspect in the killing of one Polk County deputy sheriff and wounding of another died with his hand on a pistol - believed to be a .45-caliber snatched from the fallen officer.

The man, who went by at least four aliases, was killed this morning in thick brush, less than 100 yards from where he exchanged shots with a Lakeland police officer who joined in the search Thursday afternoon, Sheriff Grady Judd said. the suspect was shot numerous times by SWAT team members who found him hiding in a hollowed-out area under a fallen oak tree.

Previous Coverage
When officers commanded him to show his hands, he only showed one hand and the officers opened fire, Judd said. After the shooting ended, officers found a pistol in the suspect’s hand believed to be that of slain K-9 Deputy Matt Williams.

“God will be the judge and jury this time,” Judd said.

He was wanted for opening fire on deputies after he bolted from a routine traffic stop about 11:45 a.m. Thursday, killing Williams and his German shepherd Diogi and wounding Deputy Douglas Speirs.

Spiers was shot in the leg and later released from the hospital. He is expected to make a full recovery, according to the sheriff’s office.

Judd said the suspected shooter was located this morning while law officers were combing a heavily wooded area shoulder-to-shoulder. The search, which commenced around noon Thursday, continued all night. It centered on a sparsely populated swath of 75 to 150 acres west of Lakeland.

During Thursday’s search, the suspect emerged from behind a house and fired shots at a Lakeland detective, who returned fire. The shots missed the officer.

It is unclear how the man was able to get the deputy’s gun.

Identifying the suspect proved to be difficult for investigators, as they uncovered several aliases. Judd says the man’s name could be Andrew Colxton, Alex Cloxton, or Anglo Freeland. The suspected shooter was initially identified as Eswardo O. Ramclaim, of Miami.

The man’s body, which remained at the scene late morning, will be taken to the medical examiner, and Judd says his office will conduct a thorough investigation.

Judd credited officers with reacting so quickly that they kept the suspect in the area, not giving him an avenue to escape.

Earlier, Judd said the man is likely involved in dealing drugs, but could not pinpoint a motive for Thursday’s shootings. He was initially stopped for speeding on Wabash Avenue near 10th Street and was unable to produce a driver’s license. He ran after asking Spiers, who stopped him, if he was going to jail.

Williams, 39, whose full name was Vernon Matthew Williams, had worked for the sheriff’s office since 1994 and is survived by his wife, Nancy, and three teenage children. Spiers, also 39, is married and has a 19-year-old stepson and 9-year-old son.

Williams is the first Polk sheriff’s deputy killed in the line of duty since Theron Anthony Burnham was slain in January 1981.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADN3SS
Glad to hear that they killed the bastard. I knew the suspect would not survive. The found him hiding in the brush.

Sorry to hear about the 3 deputies. The K-9 is considered an officer, correct?

Yes and no Scott.

Killing or injuring a Police K9 or Horse is a felony, but does not carry the same penalty as the officers killing, simply because he's not human.

But to those of us in the field, messing with one of our K9;s or a horse will get you some grief

Last edited by Shadow; 09-30-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Unread 09-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
Shadow

Name :

Posted this on the other forums thread, but thought I'd share with my friends here. I've always liked the song/music, but somehow, the words seem to have more meaning today...seemed appropriate to the occasion:

BEER FOR MY HORSES:

well a man come on 6 o'clock news says somebody's been shot,
somebody's been abused

somebody blew up a building
somebody stole a car
somebody got away
somebody didn't get too far (yeah)
they didn't get too far

Grandpapy told my Papy
back in my day son a man had to answer
for the wicked thing he done

Take all the rope in Texas
Find a tall Oak tree
Round up all of them bad boys
Hang'm high in the tree
For all the people to see.

(Chorus)
Cause justice is the one thing that
you should always find
you got to sattle up your boys
you gotta draw a hard line
when the gun smoke settles
we'll sing a victory tune
and we'll all meet back at the local salloon
We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces

singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

We've got too many gangsters
doin dirty deeds
too much corruption and crime in the streets
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
send them all to their maker and he'll settle'm down
You can bet he'll settle'm down

(chorus)

whisky for my men, beer for my horses

Again, I'd like to personally shake the hand of each and every one of those that took this POS out of this world!