The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 04-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I just saw in another Legal Issues post you submitted the statute used around here for modified muffler cites was quoted in 316.293 (5)b FSS. No need to post my pics because this is the exact same thing I saw in the 2006 book.

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

Kind of general, so it covers anything "louder than factory".
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

These laws are kind of vague. Just like the "Exhibition of Speed" statute.

(2)(a) A person may not:

1. Drive any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, or exhibition of speed or acceleration or for the purpose of making a speed record on any highway, roadway, or parking lot;
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Ah, but I think the burden of proof would be on the state to prove that your vehicle is louder then stock. So they have to go find your exact model in stock form and then get audio tests done as a comparison. Wonder how many local LEOs would want to do such a thing?
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #14
IVOZ06
CRAZYME

Name :
IVOZ06 is on a distinguished road

Mine exhaust measured 100 db at idle last year at the Fest.

Now I have a new cam and 1 more point of compression!

"When I'm good I'm very good but when I'm bad I'm better."
CLICK FOR MY PICS
2001 Z06 TR/Mod Red 400 rwhp
LIFE IS TOO SHORT, HAVE FUN, NO REGRETS
IVOZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #15
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

I really don't think any of us have much to worry about unless LEO has nothing else he can write. If I get pulled, I may be loud but that's not what I'll get written for.lol...........Tom
Unread 04-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #16
Rich Z

I heard an interesting tidbit from someone just the other day. They STRONGLY suggested driving without using your seatbelt. The cops are MUCH more interested in writing tickets for that these days and will normally forego the speeding ticket if they can give you one for the seat belt. Since it is no moving violation, it's simply a fine with no points attached to it.

Not sure how accurate or true it is, but the guy said he had heard that from several reliable sources. Maybe there is a big push for them to get these citations on the books for some reason.
Unread 04-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I heard an interesting tidbit from someone just the other day. They STRONGLY suggested driving without using your seatbelt. The cops are MUCH more interested in writing tickets for that these days and will normally forego the speeding ticket if they can give you one for the seat belt. Since it is no moving violation, it's simply a fine with no points attached to it.

Not sure how accurate or true it is, but the guy said he had heard that from several reliable sources. Maybe there is a big push for them to get these citations on the books for some reason.

I wouldn't do it. In my experience in this area they will write BOTH cites. Then you're in deeper. Plus, NO MATTER WHAT the guy who knew someone who's cousin's friend's little sister's boyfriend says about surviving a crash because he would've drowned/burned/been crushed if he were wearing his seatbelt,,,, IT's BS. Seatbelts save lives. There's no way to control a car from the passenger seat if things get hairy. More heads hit windshields, and more people get crushed getting ejected than EVER die from being trapped in a car.

Here's a link to a video from a helicopter of a guy being ejected and run over by a passing car when he crashed. Granted, it's a Police pursuit, but anything over 10 or 15 mph could throw someone from a car, let alone at highway speeds.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...6D6DCCF86D.htm

Just my .02 cents, off the soapbox now.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #18
Rich Z

Heck, I can't argue about the seat belts. Just stating what someone else told me, so take it for what it is worth. And as always, your mileage may vary....
Unread 04-23-2006, 01:15 AM   #19
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile
I really don't think any of us have much to worry about unless LEO has nothing else he can write. If I get pulled, I may be loud but that's not what I'll get written for.lol...........Tom
How true...

I know most of the sheriffs in my county, a few live in my sub-division. They are all cool and could care less about how loud the cars are. As long as your not really screwing up big time, they cut you a break.

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2006, 04:44 PM   #20
C5STATETROOPER
Lakeland, FL

Name :
C5STATETROOPER is on a distinguished road

The law is intended for the totally obnoxious and those that pollute the air. I have never wrote a ticket for it when the exhaust has been modified tastfully and professionally. The ricers who go above and beyond to make noise for the sake of making noise are the ones that give us the most grief.
C5STATETROOPER is offline   Reply With Quote