The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 04-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona-Flyer View Post
It's already through the house so write your state senator today! Every letter they get represents thousands who share your view but don't write. An email or phone call works too. Don't fax them as it wastes their fax paper (as if they care about waste).

Sorry but I can't as of yet find the senate bill number. You can refer to the senate companion bill to HB 137.

Here is the directory......
http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/...TOKEN=13075141

BTW, the first draft of the bill included 5-10 years in the poke for the first offense. Child molesters don't serve that.
Make sure you tell them all the legitimate reasons of why you need to drive 120 mph or more on the interstate highway.....

Crotch Rocket

85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Make sure you tell them all the legitimate reasons of why you need to drive 120 mph or more on the interstate highway.....

Crotch Rocket

Don't get me wrong. As I've said before, 50 over ANY speed on a public highway is absurd; however, we have more than sufficient recourse with the current statutes. This is just about mo' money, mo' money, mo' money

It's not going to stop reckless driving or excessive speed any more than the current laws. It's simply going to give those so inclined, another reason to run

You can't legislate common sense and you can't stop stupid

Besides, Stupid can and does happen just as easily at 70 (legal interstate speed) and 30 (average in town speed)

Don't have the pics but I've worked the crashes
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post

Crotch Rocket

Interestingly enough, that pics assumes the truck was stopped on the side of the road and the vette planted itself underneat the DOT bar (aka: headache bar)? Any info on that one?

If the vette had been doing 120 upon impact, it would have been implanted much further under the truck. Doesn't appear to have even hit the 1st set of tandems yet?

The crotch rocket pic...what can you say.....Darwin wins again.....
Unread 04-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Daytona-Flyer
Eric

Name :
Daytona-Flyer is on a distinguished road

Don't take this lightly!

There is another bill in the Senate that will make any exhibition of speed an offense. This includes chirping your tires while shifting gears or using excessive acceleration.

This is very small part of a large transportation bill.

Eric
Daytona-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona-Flyer View Post
Don't take this lightly!

There is another bill in the Senate that will make any exhibition of speed an offense. This includes chirping your tires while shifting gears or using excessive acceleration.

This is very small part of a large transportation bill.

Eric
Therein lies the problem. Too many wanna be do-gooders trying to micro manage the population

FYI, most exhibitions of speed are already a violation of one or more of Florida's motor vehicle traffic laws. But to criminalize them is asking for trouble within an already overburdened legal system.

People really need to pay attention to thier lawmakers. Remember, they're really not looking after "our" good. They're generally looking after thier "own" good by cowtowing to the PAC's, big $$ groups and those groups that make enough noise to get them voted out of office.

I have no problem with traffic laws. Enforced them all my life. Good laws are reasonable laws.

Laws that allow too much interpretation by law enforcement or by thier very nature become "catch all" laws, are not "good" laws

ie:
Careless driving. Easily interpreted and applied to almost any situation with a little creative writing.

Racing on highways: again, doesn't need 2 cars to make this happen and with the wrong officer, wrong place, or a little creative writing, it's allover.

These laws are being brought about due to the improper actions of a few. The wheeling bikers, the crotch rocket racers, and the occasional street racer that kills himself or someone else.

I happen to agree with the OP on this matter. Lets make sure our lawmakers keep the laws reasonable and on point thats all
Unread 04-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #16
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Gordon on if these pass its gonna make people just wanna run. A chance of getting away to some people is ten gajillion times better then paying 1k bucks for a one 400-500$ dollar ticket. Hell when i got nailed in tampa by the new causeway construction by airport..didnt realize the speed limit went from 65-55-50 in 500yds distance. Got pulled doing 75 in a 50 an received a 248$ ticket.

Id love to see the bill they propose when cops now do nothing but high speed chase downs.

If someone is fined x amount of money + jail time for speeding definitely another reason to move out of state after college.
Unread 04-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

There is another house bill that was passed recently, SB828(i think), that provides for the confiscation of your motorcycle and arrest if any of these offences occurs;

riding with only one hand on the handlebars

standing up on the footpegs while riding

accellerating so as to lift the front wheel off the ground

braking so as to lift the rear wheel off the ground

speeding in excess of 30mph over the posted speed limit,

There are a few more but all of these actions can result in a reckless driving citation which requires confiscation of the motorcycle and arrest and jail time.

As a biker I hate this. There are so many reasons why this bill should not pass on common sense alone but when you think that a law that includes confiscation of your property for as minor an infraction as riding one handed or standing up on your pegs...

HOLY CRAP. When does the law expand to include cars?

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #18
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Isnt there a law right now, about no cell phones? If so i see how well that one is enforced.
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #19
Shadow

Name :

Confiscating one's property for what should be minor traffic violations seems to subvert the constitutional provisions of ulawful seizure? I have heard about the bill you wrote of, but haven't seen anything in writing on it recently.

I understand the stunt riding provisions, but riding with 1 hand? Please! I used to ride with one hand just to rest the other on long trips. Geez!
Again another example of a law that's too broad and easily abused

Lets hope it doesn't pass.

Quit mother henning us to death!
Unread 04-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #20
Daytona-Flyer
Eric

Name :
Daytona-Flyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
There is another house bill that was passed recently, SB828(i think), that provides for the confiscation of your motorcycle and arrest if any of these offences occurs;
<snip>
HOLY CRAP. When does the law expand to include cars?

Joe B.

Click on the link in my first post, the start of this thread. It's HB 137. As far as I know ther not a senate version as of yet.

As amended, the speed is now 50 over the limit now. As I remember, the rest you spoke about is intact. Who to thank? ABATE of Florida? No, not really. They just fought the first version of the bill that was for motorcycles only. They claimed it was discriminatory. The house agreed, then applied it to all vehicles.

The good new is that the current session may end before action is taken in the senate.

Eric
Daytona-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote