The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #21
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

My understanding is that the bill the OP is reffering to was modified from the afore mentioned "motorcycle bill" because it unfairly targeted motorcycles only. Therefore all vehicles were included in the modified version, although the only legitimate charge for a car appears to deal with the speed.

I understand where you guys are coming from in your dislike for this kind of statute, it definetly reeks of micro management, but it stems from stunt riders from south Florida who blatently disregard traffic laws and public safety. Some of these riders have gone so far as to perform these stunts in the presence of LEO's and then simply outrun the officers who attempt to make a traffic stop, often spitting on their cars and/or flipping them off in the process. I guess that's OK with some folks, but, apparently enough people contacted their legislaters that they thought something should be done. Is this a cure? No. But they are frustrated and don't have a better solution.

As to the photos above, these were sent to me without a history, but they (especially the motorcycle rider) speak for themselves. It is easy to be calloused toward these individuals as their own actions are what likely caused their demise, but we have to remember, these are people, this could be a friend, or a son, or someone you know. These laws were made with good intentions.

That said, I almost ran into the back of a car on my bike when I was MUCH younger. A small group of us were doing our Sunday drag racing ritual south of Jacksonville Beach in Palm Valley. Myself and a friend were trying to line up on our Suzuki 1100's but traffic kept coming around the curve (going the same direction we were trying to go). Finally a break came and we lined up and got launched just seconds after the last car went by. I was so busy focusing on my launch and watching my tach and where my buddy was, I didn't realize how fast we were catching the car that was ahead of me. I was ahead by a wheel length all the way to the guy flagging us at the end of the 1/4 mile when I looked up and saw a Ford Granada getting bigger and bigger. Somehow I hauled it down from 125 mph without hitting that car, but I had already decided I was going to lay it down in the grass on the right side of the road if I couldn't get it stopped in time. I couldn't go around him on the left because my buddy was there. The guy that was flagging us said he had never seen a bike stop on the front wheel like that, the rear wheel was about 3 inches in the air.

We all do stupid things from time to time, fortunatly, I lived through mine!
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #22
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

I have seen the pics before with some speculation as to what occurred but I have never seen an official story on either one. It is possible that both fatalities could have been true accidents with no improper action on the part of the Vette or the cycle rider. I have seen many rigs merge out into traffic from an on ramp or after catching some zzz's on a highway shoulder without due regard for whomever is behind them. It's kind of an attitude of "well I can only go so fast, and they will have to go around me until I can get up to speed". They pull right into the lane. The impact could wedge the car under the weight of the truck and drag the car until the rig pulled over,, and the same with the motorcycle guy obviously being stuck and drug along. These pictures say alot for driving safe and being aware, but we don't know that the deceased were at fault.

As for the bill in legislature, I don't have a problem with the 50mph law. I have clocked m/c's in excess of 140 mph before in a 45 zone. That kind of speed will kill everyone involved if a crash occurs. The people in the poor car that pulls out in front of the m/c will die as well. There was a victim who was making a u-turn in a full size Suburban type of SUV in Pinellas County a few months ago that was hit by a m/c who ran a red light at 100 plus mph. The force of the impact overturned the SUV and killed the rider of the m/c and the driver of the SUV. The truck was in a left hand turn and was hit on the passenger side. The SUV's momentum was leaning to the passenger side. The m/c hit the SUV with such force that it not ony counteracted the momentum force of the truck leaning into the crash, but it also pushed the force the opposite way so hard the SUV flipped. NOW THATS SOME SERIOUS FORCE EXERTED FOLKS.

The problem I have with the law is that it duplicates the already present laws of reckless driving, and racing on the roadways. Like Shadow said this is just a way to tack on additional fines. This also is the type of thing that once its on the books it's easier to lower dramatically. In a few years when they see that the police rarely catch anyone who is going that fast (ie they are 50 over in a 55 zone-105 mph or more and Police choose not to do the required speed to catch them - over 105mph -- 120-130-140 to gain on the violator) they will lower the limit to 30 or 25 or whatever they choose. Then we are paying thousands of dollars and risking jail for a little fun romp on the pedal in a quiet area of town. When that happens if you push 90 in a 65 like on I275 (we basically all have done it) then yuou risk the fine/points/jail...........

This law is all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #23
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default Another example of ludicrous legislation...

This takes balls....literally....

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr...display-testi/

By JOSH POLTILOVE | The Tampa Tribune

Published: April 23, 2008

Updated: 04/23/2008 05:52 pm

TAMPA - People who hang fake bull testicles from the rear bumpers of their vehicles should receive a moving violation, state senators say.

The Senate voted 37-2 today in favor of a bill against the testicles.

Sens. Bill Posey, R-Rockledge, and Frederica Wilson, D-Miami opposed the bill.

Opposition to the testicles comes as the vehicle accessories are growing in popularity, thanks in part to the Internet sales of brands such as Your Nutz and BullsBalls.

Your Nutz, a California Internet mail-order business, boasts colors including sun-kissed sienna, dark forest green and even electric blue lighted sets that cast an eerie glow.

David Ham, founder and owner of Your Nutz, said the replica bull testicle business is booming and he welcomes the free publicity generated by the state Senate's discussion.

BullsBalls boasts a wide variety of products, ranging in price from the middle teens to more than $50 a set. The Arizona retailer sells mocha, ivory, pink, silver, gold and chrome, too.

BullsBalls owner John Saller said he has been selling the product for more than 10 years and now ships about 500 sets a month.

Sen. Carey Baker, R-Eustis, sparked the Florida discussion.

The bill, which needs House approval, states: "Whoever willfully displays on a vehicle an obscene word, image, or device, including, but not limited to reproductive glands, commits a noncriminal traffic violation" punishable as a moving violation.

Now do you see why some of us are adamantly opposed to knee jerk legislation?

These knuckleheads need to be removed from thier seats (physically) and booted out of the house straight into the street for wasting taxpayer $$ on such nonsense!

Even the posters on officer.com think it's a waste....
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #24
JIM KILL
TampaBay Vettes

Name : Jim Kill
JIM KILL is on a distinguished road
Talking Balls

Shadow....Could not agree with you more!!!
JIM

Last edited by JIM KILL; 05-07-2008 at 08:03 AM.
JIM KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

What legislators apparently fail to understand is that there is no way possible to outlaw everything that SOMEONE doesn't like without outlawing absolutely EVERYTHING.

If someone is doing 50 miles per hour over the speed limit right now, aren't they already violating one or more laws? Is increasing the severity of the penalty really going to help much? The more serious the repercussions, the more likely it will be that compliance with submitting to arrest will no longer be considered as an option by the perpetrator.

And seriously, don't they have anything better to do with out tax dollars than to spend the time debating legislation on bull testicles?

Another thing they fail to understand is that the more frivolous laws there are to enforce, the more enforcers there will be who will have their time tied up being on court presenting cases against the accused. While they are doing so, they are NOT on the streets enforcing REAL laws. So while a LEO is tied up in court presenting evidence about public display of bull balls, their eyes are not out there watching for serial killers, evidence of terrorist activity, or protecting children from molesters.

The legislators apparently believe that their job is to create laws, no matter what they are for. So eventually, everyone will be presented with a "citizen's manual" that will itemize everything that is currently LEGAL to do. Anything not listed in the manual is considered to be illegal by default. Next year, the manual will be smaller, of course.....
Unread 04-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #26
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Well, they may have to do it with fewer LEO's next year thanks to those who saw fit to pass amendment 1. Our small agency has been instructed to cut the budget for next year by 10%.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #27
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I'm just waiting for the law-making clowns to come up with the plan to make law enforcement operate under a commission basis for enforcing the law...
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #28
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Maybe our legislators need to examine the item they are considering offensive, obviously they have never owned a pair either on their truck or in their pants.
Apparently while riding in the passenger seat as their wives were driving the family sedan, the wife must have pulled up behind a 4x4 with a set of balls hanging from the rear bumper.
This close encounter with an appendage that her husband, our esteemed legislator, didn't have and obviously much larger than her imaginary set, was intimidating, at least.

I can hear it now, "You are a Senator for God's sake! How can I compete with that? Do something about that pubic display of power."
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #29
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Well, they may have to do it with fewer LEO's next year thanks to those who saw fit to pass amendment 1. Our small agency has been instructed to cut the budget for next year by 10%.
I know what you mean, but frankly, most if not all agencies could and should operate more cost effectively.
As a taxpayer and business owner, I have to live within a budget, so why shouldn't local, state and federal government?

It's true that the smaller the agency, the more they'll feel the pinch. Unfortunately, it's historically been the larger agencies that spend like there's no tomorrow, making it tough for every one else

My former agency wasted more $$ on "feel good" programs, useless PC training and purchases than one can imagine. I can still recall being told to "waste ammo" rather than hold it over for the next year. I can also recall making purchases of crap that we really didn't need or necessarily want, just to ensure we got the same or more $$ the following year in the budget

Cutting the budget, or learning to live within one should not significantly effect street level law enforcement. It's been said time and time again, and I have to agree with those who say it, if government were a private enterprise, it would be bankrupt

If the administration can't figure out how to make this happen, then maybe it's time for a new administration? And any idiot administrator that remotly suggests cutting front line, street level LEO strength, needs to be removed from office immediately.

It's almost funny, but we hear the same tired rhetoric every time the departments are faced with a budget to balance. We're going to loose law enformcent personnel

BS!

There's way too much fat that can be trimmed before that needs to happenAll the administration is trying to do is scare the unknowing into supporting thier cause.

It's going to be interesting to see how the departments handle the budget matters.
Unread 04-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #30
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 softtail View Post
Maybe our legislators need to examine the item they are considering offensive, obviously they have never owned a pair either on their truck or in their pants.
Apparently while riding in the passenger seat as their wives were driving the family sedan, the wife must have pulled up behind a 4x4 with a set of balls hanging from the rear bumper.
This close encounter with an appendage that her husband, our esteemed legislator, didn't have and obviously much larger than her imaginary set, was intimidating, at least.

I can hear it now, "You are a Senator for God's sake! How can I compete with that? Do something about that pubic display of power."
I was at a networking meeting a few weeks ago and one of the therapists was giving a presentation. He brought in a life sized "spine." Said he borrowed it from a politician since they wern't using it