The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 05-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
c5inparadise

Name :
c5inparadise is on a distinguished road
Default Headers - biggest bang for the $$$

If I don't purchase LG Streets/hi-flo cats/x-pipe, what other set-ups should I consider that cost less but are quality?
c5inparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, I guess it depends.

I think that if anyone is going to mod their car at all, it's pretty much a given that headers are a basic requirement in the overall picture. If you only add headers, their will be an improvement with them alone. But if you do anything else as well, the headers will prove to have a synergistic effect in that it will enhance those other mods as well. After all, breathing well is the goal of most nearly all mods you will do on an engine. And it does you little good to improve the intake if the exhaust then becomes the bottle neck.

All things considered, I have NEVER heard anyone say they wish that they had never put headers on their vehicle. And I can't think of any other mod you could do, performance wise, to your vehicle, that headers would produce a negative effect compared to the stock exhaust system.

Now that being said, if I were interested in just raw performance and was going to spend the bucks ONLY for one single mod to get the biggest horsepower gain in one fell swoop, I would have to say go for a supercharger like the Paxton or Procharger. You can find used one fairly cheaply, normally around $3,000 to $3,500. But on top of that you have the install and necessarily a tune afterwards. But all in all, this would be the one single mod, for the money, that would give you the biggest increase in power.

In my opinion. And there are drawbacks, of course. The rest of the drivetrain on a 350 horsepower car may not be up to snuff when you pump 550 horsepower on down the line. So things may break.............
Rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Kooks and Dynatech Supermaxx are the ones you hear of the most. Other than LG that is. It really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want headers only? Hi flow cats? Long tube, short tube? I would definitely shop around to get your best deal. Here are a couple of places other than the usual Mid America, Ecklers or West Coast Corvettes.

www.corvettegarage.com
www.thelapd.com
http://www.tbyrne.com/c5catalog.html This site has the most diverse selection. I hadn't looked at it in a while. Holy Crap!

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
SteveGel

Name :
SteveGel has disabled reputation

I got these and are sitting right here next to my desk, can't wait to install them.

great price and awesome service.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1342741
SteveGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
Rich Z

Not going with cats? I kind of tossed that idea around in my head but decided to go with the high flow cats anyway. Not sure why, but I guess the major reason was I couldn't ask the guy who installed the headers for me to break the law........ If I had done it myself, well maybe.....
Unread 05-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
SteveGel

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Not going with cats? I kind of tossed that idea around in my head but decided to go with the high flow cats anyway. Not sure why, but I guess the major reason was I couldn't ask the guy who installed the headers for me to break the law........ If I had done it myself, well maybe.....
I have Hi-flow cats install already.
Unread 05-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Rich Z

Oh.... Didn't see them in the pic. I was surprised that you can just about see through those things.

What sort of mufflers are you running? Actually I like the sound of my setup even though the mufflers are stock for a Z.

I've heard the titanium stockers are a bit restrictive, but I'm not willing to go to something that will be excessively loud. These sound good enough as it is for me.
Unread 05-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #8
SteveGel

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Oh.... Didn't see them in the pic. I was surprised that you can just about see through those things.

What sort of mufflers are you running? Actually I like the sound of my setup even though the mufflers are stock for a Z.

I've heard the titanium stockers are a bit restrictive, but I'm not willing to go to something that will be excessively loud. These sound good enough as it is for me.
I got a custome exhust and kept the titanium stockers added the x-pipe and hi-flow cats.

added the hi flows the next day didn't lose power and sound alot better.