The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Corvette Clubs > Cape Kennedy Corvette Club

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Cape Kennedy Corvette Club The purpose of the club is to promote Corvettes, and to provide friendship with other Corvette owners in and around the State of Florida. We sponsor and promote rallies, autocross, civic and charitable activities and scholarships, car shows and caravans. To have owned a Corvette is our cause to exist!

Unread 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
vettejack

Name : Jack Legere
vettejack is on a distinguished road
Default Corvette by the numbers...the ongoing saga

Production totals for the 2010 Corvette, with production ending for the 2010 MY on the 11th of June, 2010:

Coupes: 6761
Convertibles: 3338
Z06: 518
ZR1: 1577

Total production for 2010 MY: 12,194

We can only hope the 2011 MY will be better...
vettejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasajack View Post

Production totals for the 2010 Corvette, with production ending for the 2010 MY on the 11th of June, 2010:

Coupes: 6761
Convertibles: 3338
Z06: 518
ZR1: 1577

Total production for 2010 MY: 12,194

We can only hope the 2011 MY will be better...
Are thse bad numbers Jack?

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Damn they produced more 72's then that
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
vettejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Are thse bad numbers Jack?
Considering the numbers, you could look at it like this...if GM sells 10,000 Corvettes, at an average of $50,000...is still a billion dollars in sales!! As Dave Hill told me back at the NCM in '09..."the Corvette pays the rent!"...

So yea, the numbers are down...as with the 16 thousand plus for the 2009 MY...but the car still sells. It will always have the 'core' buyer...just fewer and fewer discretionary buyers until this depression (yes, I call it a depression) gets some resemblance of recovery.

I don't see that happening until well after 2012 and a changing of the guard at the White House.
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Considering the numbers, you could look at it like this...if GM sells 10,000 Corvettes, at an average of $50,000...is still a billion dollars in sales!! As Dave Hill told me back at the NCM in '09..."the Corvette pays the rent!"...

So yea, the numbers are down...as with the 16 thousand plus for the 2009 MY...but the car still sells. It will always have the 'core' buyer...just fewer and fewer discretionary buyers until this depression (yes, I call it a depression) gets some resemblance of recovery.

I don't see that happening until well after 2012 and a changing of the guard at the White House.
Ok,thanks for the edumication

If that's the case, I figure they'll keep the numbers down, to keep the price up and cost down. Supply and demand.

Remember:

Unread 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Yeah, those numbers are lower than GM would like. In the late 80's they were selling over 30,000 units per year(closer to 40,000 I believe), and the average price back then was over $24,000 if I recall.
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
vettejack

Default Heres' another twist to the figures...

Very little is known about the Corvette and how exact the numbers in a production years come up to actually being produced.

What I do know, or at least able to research a bit...is that Corvette production is pretty much based on orders received. Another words...every years' production is based strictly on 85% to 87% dealership orders, with the other 13% to 15% of the production made for the general public and the consumption of the Corvette.

Production numbers is not a conspiracy by GM to keep numbers down while increasing prices.

Hope this helps!
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Very little is known about the Corvette and how exact the numbers in a production years come up to actually being produced.

What I do know, or at least able to research a bit...is that Corvette production is pretty much based on orders received. Another words...every years' production is based strictly on 85% to 87% dealership orders, with the other 13% to 15% of the production made for the general public and the consumption of the Corvette.

Production numbers is not a conspiracy by GM to keep numbers down while increasing prices.

Hope this helps!
Jack,

Wasn't suggesting any conspiracy theories.

It's still supply vs. demand.

If they made more, they "might" actually sell more

However, if they overbuild, and have them sitting on dealers lots at tax time...not a good thing.

Keep the supply limited to the demand + a few % and the price remains up and the overun remains low.
Reduces cost of production too

Remember:

Unread 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
vettejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Jack,

Wasn't suggesting any conspiracy theories.

It's still supply vs. demand.

If they made more, they "might" actually sell more

However, if they overbuild, and have them sitting on dealers lots at tax time...not a good thing.

Keep the supply limited to the demand + a few % and the price remains up and the overun remains low.
Reduces cost of production too
Yea Shadow...I wasn't casting a 'shadow' over your previous remarks...

I agree with u if they build a bit more, would they not sell them all eventually? One could speculate. If I recall, there was over/around a 1000, unsold 2008 and 2009 Corvettes, nationwide, still on dealer lots during the 2010 Model Year production. I could have only hoped the dealers were willing to deal them off their lots, but I also heard horror stories of dealers still trying to sell brand new, untitled, 2008's for sticker!! The one's who did offer deals still complained about the lack of showroom traffic on other model years.

I think the lack of more factory options held back Chevy for awhile too. For the 2011 MY, you get to change the color of the headlight pods, multiple colored interiors with multiple choices of stitching for some RPO's, 2 more added exterior colors, etc. So, Chevy. IMHO, is learning from the past by adding lots more of the RPO's to the line. Vice the recession, Corvette should show increases in sales for 2011.

One personnal experience I had was in Melbourne, at a Corvette show, in 2008, at a Chevy dealer's lot..and he had a leftover 2007 Z06, discounted almost 15 grand...and the sales guy told me it was an early build car during the 2007 model year...on their showroom floor for over a year and a half, and still no bites. I'm sure that car is gone now, but it makes you wonder if they had to take another hit and drop the price some more to move it out.

Either way, the buyer sure got one helleva deal on a practically zero mile car and already a year and a half old with full factory 5 year stuff to boot on top of the age! Plus he/she is already a year and a half ahead on keeping mileage off the car, if thats your thing. Not bad.

As far as prices vs demand...I'm sure with the union benefits attached to each car, I think that may keep some away from the showroom as well. I've been told almost 1/6th to 1/5th of the price of a new Corvette is tied directly to union bennies. If thats the case, who knows where the price vs demand thing ends up with who winning anything?? The consumer loses, the unions lose and Chevy continues to lose with low production numbers. How long could they maintain the Corvette production line.......

Great 'debate', or concern, Shadow!!
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...I'm sure with the union benefits attached to each car, I think that may keep some away from the showroom as well. I've been told almost 1/6th to 1/5th of the price of a new Corvette is tied directly to union bennies. If thats the case, who knows where the price vs demand thing ends up with who winning anything?? The consumer loses, the unions lose and Chevy continues to lose with low production numbers. How long could they maintain the Corvette production line.......
I was watching a documentary that stated that $1400.00 of each car sold went toward benefits for the GM employees that have already retired!