The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 12-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Ah! Durashine, huh? I did a scan on the web looking for feedback on that product and reports seem to be mixed. Anyone here actually try that stuff? I'm tempted to try it just for giggles. Ebay seems to have a bunch of it listed there.

Maybe try a layer of Rejex then Durashine over top of that......

Thanks for the tip!
Unread 12-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #12
Mekanic
Injector Guy

Name :
Mekanic is on a distinguished road

no prob!

A polymer layer comprises long molecules that that form a hard, dense flat mesh that lies on the top of the much smaller paint molecule. Polymers are hydrophobic [lacking an affinity for water] the surface is smooth which in part causes water sheeting.

Carnauba Wax is inherently hydroscopic [readily taking up and retaining moisture] when exposed to water, wax swells and closes its pores, beading simply means that a high surface tension is present.

What most people attribute to a film surface protection being functional is the visual indicator of water beading on the paint film surface. However, all water beading proves is that high surface tension is present, just because a product creates high surface tension, (water beading / sheeting) does not guarantee the coating is actually providing real and meaningful protection

Water beading is only a sign of high surface tension, it does not automatically mean the surface is protected.

Water beading can be a visual indicator of a coating's presence. By that I mean, if your car's finish does not bead water before, cleaning, polishing and protecting, but does bead water after applying a protective wax coating, then as the beading diminishes over time and exposure to repeated washing or inclement weather, the lack of beading can be a visual indicator that the wax is wearing off.

Some Meguiar's waxes, like Gold Class wax, are not formulated to bead water well. Many people read into this that it is a product that doesn't protect well. The chemists that created this formula understand that water beading and then drying on painted surfaces can lead to problems, so they designed Gold Class Wax to not bead water.

While it's easy to explain the benefits of a wax that sheets water instead of beads water, it would appear that most people prefer a wax that beads water, if for no other reason, than it looks cool.

P.S: I cheated on that post hehehe
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 03:00 AM   #13
Rich Z

So, does the Meguiar's Gold Class was also tend to sheet water off of surfaces since they were designed to not promote water beading?
Unread 12-17-2006, 05:00 AM   #14
Mekanic
Injector Guy

Name :
Mekanic is on a distinguished road

yes, but it dosn't last very long unfortunatley. Has to be reaplied pretty frequently
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #15
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic
yes, but it dosn't last very long unfortunatley. Has to be reaplied pretty frequently
Man you are talking to a guy who went from washing and waxing his vehicles on a bi-yearly schedule to washing the vette at LEAST once a week.

Seriously, I learned that the north side of a vehicle will start to turn green from moss growing on it.

But now my "car cosmetics area" is beginning to look a lot like the closet in the bathroom with all the "girly" stuff my wife has for her own personal maintenance. I have one can of shaving foam and one can of deodorant in there. The rest is all her voodoo ingredients.... I don't have a CLUE what most of that stuff is