The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :
grumpyvette has disabled reputation
Default T buckets, and track times

have any of you gentlemen ever run those cars down a local 1/4 mile track and gotten any et/or mph results on those t-bucket cars, obviously the potential power to weight ratio makes the cars potential far faster than the average street car provided the person driving can effectively handle and apply the power but from what I see theres two likely issues, some tracks won,t allow the cars to run without a roll cage , and other safety equipment and darn few people have the skills to handle that kind of power and apply it effectively, as with that power to weight ratio 11 seconds or faster is rather easy.
I,m rather curious simply because I know at least 5 people who own similar cars yet not a single one has a 1/4 mile ET/MPH run slip from a local track

grumpyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Maybe at high speeds, aerodynamics begins to have a substantial influence? The body styles weren't really designed for such things. Heck, at what speed would the air force simply push back those windshields?
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
donzee

Name :
donzee is on a distinguished road

I have a couple buds that do custom car work, they were working on a (I believe) 34 ford that was the world speed holder, but lost the title a while back and these guys are trying to get more out of it.
They were enclosing more under the car, and were adding weight.
I,m not sure I understood the reasoning , but he said the weight would make the car more stable, with out hurting top end.
donzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Z06-LITE

Name : George Oller
Z06-LITE has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
have any of you gentlemen ever run those cars down a local 1/4 mile track and gotten any et/or mph results on those t-bucket cars, obviously the potential power to weight ratio makes the cars potential far faster than the average street car provided the person driving can effectively handle and apply the power but from what I see theres two likely issues, some tracks won,t allow the cars to run without a roll cage , and other safety equipment and darn few people have the skills to handle that kind of power and apply it effectively, as with that power to weight ratio 11 seconds or faster is rather easy.
I,m rather curious simply because I know at least 5 people who own similar cars yet not a single one has a 1/4 mile ET/MPH run slip from a local track

Only the first and third car pictured are "T-Buckets". The second car is a Model A with a Ford flathead. I have had my small block Chevy powered T for 34 years. And as many, I have never run down the quarter mile. My car developes 435 horsepower and weighs 1790 pounds with a full gas tank. The one thing that would hamper a good quarter mile run is my car has a Muncie M 22 "rock crusher" 4-speed. A friend with a car like mine with similar power and a Turbo Hydromatic runs the eighth mile at 6.75 and the quarter in the very low 11's. They are not very areodynamic and most have short wheelbases. My car is 120" overall and the wheelbase is 110". Maybe someday when I get brave, I will try the quarter. [/IMG]

Last edited by Z06-LITE; 05-03-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Z06-LITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road

GREAT Looking cars!!

I'll just bet the short wheel base = quick steering response. You better have you Sh## together and a set of wheelie bars when you nail it at the line.
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Not to mention that steering might be a bit twitchy when going 140+ mph.