The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 02-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough
Default black-out lenses

I thought I saw a post on here a while back about putting black-out lenses in taillights. I am thinking I want to do this but I ain't sure of the legality of them. If anyone knows if they are legal here in florida let me know.

Thanks,
Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Hey Joe,

I've got them on my C6 and have seen them on a few othe Vette's around here. As far as the legality of them.... ?

~Ray
Unread 02-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Yes and no.

They're legal as long as the taillights are brake lights are visible from a certain distance (I'll have to get you the link to the statutes).

The bigger issue is safety.

The drivers in this state suck bad enough on thier own, no need to assist them.

I love the look of black outs but I'd go dark and save them for shows and parking lots and such
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
The drivers in this state suck bad enough on thier own, no need to assist them.
You got that Right!
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
ClockworkC5
droog

Name :
ClockworkC5 is on a distinguished road

some on told me a long time ago and im not sure of how reputable the source was that they are legal, however if someone rear ends you its your fault.
ClockworkC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I thought Florida auto insurance is basically "no fault"?
Unread 02-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

I would not do it. I was running in a caravan up the Suncoast Parkway recently, and was following a vette with them. A car running further ahead had to slow suddenly, and the sun was shining right on the tail lights in front of me, and before I realized it I had to stand on my brakes. I could not see his brakes lights! I will not run behind someone who has black outs. JMO
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzona
I would not do it. I was running in a caravan up the Suncoast Parkway recently, and was following a vette with them. A car running further ahead had to slow suddenly, and the sun was shining right on the tail lights in front of me, and before I realized it I had to stand on my brakes. I could not see his brakes lights! I will not run behind someone who has black outs. JMO
I agree 100% with him on this point.

I thought Florida auto insurance is basically "no fault"?

Insurance is considered "no fault" but if it were truly no fault, the lawyers would go broke

No fault simply means that your insurance company pays for your damages and thiers for theirs. It's then that the companies try to get thier $$ back from the other parties insurer.

Law enforcement determines who is "at fault" on scene through thier investigation.

It's later "re-evaluated", "revisited" and "reviewed" by an adjuster or worse yet, a clerk with little to no knowlege of crash investigation with one goal in mind...save the company $$$$!!!!

If you have black outs on and the other party (take the post above for instance) says they were following at a safe distance and speed and lets say there are witnesses to support this allegation, but couldn't see your brake lights?

1st, they will likely win thier case in court, then the attorney(ies) and adjusters assigned to represent the insurance company will begin attempting to subrogate damages. That means they are going to try to assign a percentage of "fault" to each party to limit what they are responsible to pay.

So, if you hit the guy in the back, although technically at "fault", you may be found not guilty due to the envirnmental factors (again as mentioned by the previous post), and the other parties insurance company may end up paying part of the damages due to thier modification of the vehicle in such a manner as to render it unsafe.

If you are the person who is hit, this may limit the amount of benefits ($$$) you receive or may cause you to have to hire an attorney to get them.

In summary: (for those that didn't want to read all that mumbo jumbo):

1) Yes they are legal as long as the visibility limits are met.
2) There is still a possibility that you could be ticketed under a more obscure statute.
3) You may limit your benefit if hit in the rear, if your car is so equiped.
4) You may have a chance of winning your traffic case if you strike someone in the rear who has these installed.
5) You (your insurer) may be able to weasel out of paying quite as much if you/they can prove that the lenses were the PROXIMATE CAUSE of the rear end collision!

Gordon
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
tktlwyr

Name :
tktlwyr has disabled reputation

I am a new owner ('02 Z06) and happen to be a traffic attorney in Miami-Dade County. I purchased the car last week and the first thing I did was remove the tail light blackouts. Florida Statute §316.234(1) states:

Any vehicle may be equipped and, when required under this chapter, shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake, and which may but need not be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps. An object, material, or covering that alters the stop lamp's visibility from 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a stop lamp.

Interpretation of this will differ between law enforcement officers and judges, so be prepared to defend your position should you choose to install them. If they dim the light emitted from the stop lamp at 300 feet...you loose. If they alter the color of the light emitted from red or amber...you loose.

As for "no fault," this applies to your personal injury protection benefits. You are required to have this minimal insurance in the event you’re injured. Your insurance company automatically pays for your damages, regardless of who is at fault for the accident. It only pays for 80% of your medical bills and lost income up to the limits of your policy ($10,000) after your deductible. Your pain and suffering, as well as medical bills over the policy limits, won'’t be covered. And remember that deductible? You are self-insured for that amount. If you have a $2,000 deductible on your PIP...that's your nickel.

Dave
tktlwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I did get a set of the "static-cling" blackouts just to see if they did alter the viewable distance, and although I could still see them from a hundred feet or so, I decided to go with the thought that if I were in a crash and those blackouts were on there, all anyone would have to say is that they couldn't see my brakelights and now it's my fault. So I guess I will keep them for the car shows, as long as I remember to remove them before I head out...LOL !
Thanks for the info everyone, and if I ever get a ticket down in Miami I know who to contact, thanks Dave.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote