The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > Legal Issues

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Legal Issues Traffic tickets | Laws | Pending Legislation

Unread 02-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default LOUDER is not better!

Well, I got pulled over for the first time today in the C5Z.....

It was a Florida state trooper. I saw him way back and knew I was in his sights. Just a little while prior to that, around the bend on route 319 on my way back from Tallahassee, some older couple in a jalopy-mobile were varying their speed from 45 to 50 mph in a 55 mph zone. I think they must have been arguing or something. So as soon as an opening presented itself with oncoming traffic and line markings, I nailed it to go around them. However, I dropped into third gear instead of just downshifting to fifth, so the revs were pretty high and certainly VERY LOUD.... Not to mention the turbos kicked in, so it probably DID sound like a banshee out of hell.

Anyway, the officer pulls me over with the flashing lights and siren going. I roll down the windows and he asks me to step out of the vehicle since it sits so low to the ground. He says " Do you know why I pulled you over?" And I said, "Well I assume it is because I passed a car a little bit ago and probably got on it a bit more than I needed to." He said he really didn't see me speeding and obviously didn't clock me but he most certainly HEARD me, so he couldn't give me a speeding ticket. But he could give me a ticket for failure to obey traffic control signs. I didn't say anything at all. I think maybe he was trying to get me to admit how fast I really was going, but I couldn't see any sense to volunteering anything. Certainly he had no evidence at all unless I offered something that it was even me he had heard. He just heard a screaming car, and came looking for one that could have possibly made all that racket...... -> ME <- But I didn't try to bullsh!t him and hand him any lines.

When I was fishing my license out of my wallet, he asked me if I had a gun in my buttbag on the seat, and I told him "Yes, I do." So obviously he saw my CCW card. He just asked that in the future if I am pulled over again to please notify the officer that I do have a gun on my person. He said some guys he knows have gotten killed in the line of duty, so they are all skittish about such things.

The guy seemed amicable enough and not a hardass, so we just talked a bit. He saw the CorvetteFlorida.com decal on my window and I mentioned that it was my site. He said he had seen the name somewhere.... He said "You have a nice ride. A VERY nice ride." So apparently he is a Corvette enthusiast somewhat, or at least appreciates cars of that nature. So after just talking for a bit, he hands me back my license, registration and insurance card, and offered to shake hands, saying "Have a nice day, Richard."

Maybe I need to name my C5Z "911". Just crank down on the go pedal and all the cops in a quarter mile radius will come a runnin.... Not that I am all that keen about the idea, mind you.... I would rather be a bit more stealthy than I obviously am these days..
Unread 02-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
SteveK
Car Show DJ

Name :
SteveK will become famous soon enough

Nicely handled. Most LEO's are very fair. Just give them respect and don't give them a hard time and they will respect you as well.

Charter Member #64
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Hardball

Name :
Hardball is on a distinguished road

What you say is very true. Most people talk themselves into a ticket or an arrest by "POP", Pissing Off the Police...a little respect is a two way street and it usually works best for everyone involved.
Hardball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Good for you...

Glad to hear you got off with a compliment and a hand shake!
Well handled Rich!

~Ray
Unread 02-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Kudo's to you for your courtesy and the Trooper for his kindness and understanding

BTW...if we ever get T-shirts you need to send him one
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 02:40 AM   #6
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

so what is that a fix it ticket?
Unread 02-08-2007, 05:27 AM   #7
exile

Name :
exile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Kudo's to you for your courtesy and the Trooper for his kindness and understanding

BTW...if we ever get T-shirts you need to send him one
+1
Unread 02-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
larrybroga
Vett'n since 1961

Name : Larry Broga
larrybroga is on a distinguished road

While most officers can find a reason to pull a car over just to get a closer look at the little blue-eyed blond behind the wheel ,I used to pull cars over just to find out what they had under the hood I wonder what a shrink would say about that

Growing old is inevitable !
Growing up is optional !!!!
larrybroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybroga
While most officers can find a reason to pull a car over just to get a closer look at the little blue-eyed blond behind the wheel ,I used to pull cars over just to find out what they had under the hood I wonder what a shrink would say about that
They'd say you're a "perfectly normal" ...cop... (BTDT)

Also, I like the one liner at the bottom of your page...got the T-shirt
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
ClockworkC5
droog

Name :
ClockworkC5 is on a distinguished road

i had a tail light out on my lt1 firebird formula. it had alot of the go-fast parts on it. anyway, i had to go to the police station and show them that i had fixed the problem. officer came out and told me to start the vehicle. she says the good news is your brake lights are working, bad news im giving you a ticket for your exhaust. (flowmasters series 40 w/ gutted cat) apparently it is illegal to change your exhaust system in florida. she explained to me that she loved the v-8's and was not going to write me a ticket, but to be carefull because other cops may. apparently this law was passed mainly for the ricers, but can be applied to anyone.
ClockworkC5 is offline   Reply With Quote