The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 04-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Squirrels.... I hate 'em.....

Every Spring I am plagued with squirrels that eat up the new shoots from one of my bamboo groves. Of course they pick my favorite one that is producing shoots around 6 inches in diameter (at least those that can escape the squirrel predations). I patrol the area regularly armed with my .17HMR rifle, or sometimes a 12 gauge, but they must run in, chew the hell out of whatever shoots they can find, then run off again. I've even offered a bounty of $5 a head to one of my workers when he has the time to take his 12 gauge out there. But there are apparently a WHOLE lot more of them then us out there.....

So I decided to try some different with a proactive deterrent spray. First off I tried some stuff that was supposedly designed for protecting plants from squirrels and rabbits. Called something like "Pepper Wax". So I sprayed the new shoots liberally, even spraying shoots that have previously been chewed on thinking they would be back for another bite or two. From what I could see the squirrels just thought it made the bamboo shoots more tasty and appealing. And I think the smell helped them locate the shoots more quickly as I would seek out the new ones and apply a coating of it in the hopes it would protect them. Sure didn't seem to be slowing them down any at all.

Well that didn't work.

So I went looking for something stronger. And found this stuff called "Wildfire" -> http://www.guardian-self-defense.com/wildfire.htm

Contains 18 percent of the pepper concentrate. I figured maybe coating the entire area with this stuff would be enough to persuade the varmints to stay out and leave the shoots alone. Ordered the stuff Wednesday, shipped Thursday, and arrived today.

So I took one of the spray dispensers down to the bamboo grove and just did some short bursts on a few of the shoots. I just caught the barest whiff of that stuff, and gawd damn!!!!! My nose was on fire, my eyes felt like they were being rubbed with sandpaper, and my chest started giving me some sharp pains...... I had to evacuate the area like immediately. Man, that stuff is NASTY! I think I'm going to have to use a face mask and be REAL careful with that stuff. Wind shifts the wrong way and I'd be down for the count for certain. I couldn't imaging being hit full in the face with a spray of this stuff. Just a short burst in a room would clear it in a hurry. I'm just now getting over the effects and my nose has stopped running. Like I said, NASTY stuff. If someone threatens you with pepper spray, don't think you are just dealing with something like what's in the pepper shaker on the kitchen table. This is a whole WORLD of difference!

So anyway, if the squirrels can ignore that stuff, then the bamboo is theirs. They must want it pretty badly.... Either that or I need to find a source of Claymores.......
Unread 04-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road

I love squirrels!!!! Their tales make GREAT Chinese dumplings!!!!

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

good plinking practice!
Unread 04-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1 View Post
good plinking practice!
My Remington model 297 in .17HMR has taken quite a few of them. But mostly around the house. The bamboo grove they are tearing up is quite a distance from the house, so finding the time to patrol the area frequently each day is really tough to do. I just can't take the time to camp out there and wait for them.

I'm hoping spraying the area with that pepper spray every few days will keep them out of there. It's going to be pretty dicey spraying that stuff and trying not to get a whiff of it myself in the process. Basically check the wind direction, spray, then run like hell.....
Unread 04-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road
Default Squirrels.... I hate 'em.....

I hate them too!! Bastards drink up all my beer!

Unread 04-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

I have a Logun Mark2 PCP air rifle that does a great job on tree rats. It has 34 ft lbs of energy in 22. cal and also has a mod for whisper quite shooting.

The gun can make one hole 5 shot groups at 30 yards all day long. It cost me over $1300, but does the trick everytime.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Ms. AntiVenom
Vicious Evil Person

Name :
Ms. AntiVenom will become famous soon enough

Come to my house, they keep eating all of my chickens feed up

Website
------------------------------------------------------
Ms. AntiVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

We can always make a trade. Mods for dead tree rats.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Ok Rich, I am sitting here lmao at this post. Not because of what you are going through, but the image that is running through my mind. Can't figure out why my mind works like this, but it does.

All I can picture is you stalking the squirrels in your boxer shorts, a flack jacket but no shirt, hunting boots (untied of course), a hunting cap with the ear flaps hanging down, carrying a double barrel 12 gauge and mumbling with a speech impediment.

I must admit that when I was a kid I probably watched way too many Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoons!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
Ok Rich, I am sitting here lmao at this post. Not because of what you are going through, but the image that is running through my mind. Can't figure out why my mind works like this, but it does.

All I can picture is you stalking the squirrels in your boxer shorts, a flack jacket but no shirt, hunting boots (untied of course), a hunting cap with the ear flaps hanging down, carrying a double barrel 12 gauge and mumbling with a speech impediment.

I must admit that when I was a kid I probably watched way too many Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoons!

Rich
You have spies here? How did you know?