The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
vettejack

Name : Jack Legere
vettejack is on a distinguished road
Default C6 issues...try these 3 repairs before going to the dealership...

Having been to the dealership for 3 seperate issues concerning my '06, I have some repair/fix information that may save you time, travel and especially cost when it comes to these 3 anomolies:

1. Inoperative cruise control.
2. Compass in rear view mirror inaccurate.
3. Driver and/or passenger window detent fails when opening/closing either door.

1. The fix here is to disconnect one battery cable and hold it against the other cable for about 30 to 60 seconds. Does not matter which cable. What this fix does is somehow reestablishing the 'null' in the computers. After diagnostics was hooked to my car while operating it down I-95, the service computer showed all parameters of the cruise control operating properly. The technician knew what needed to be done after that with the battery cables. Keep in mind, this will be a factor in dealing with problem number 3, but not all the time. The cruise control worked again!!

2. When the compass appeared inaccurate on my '06, the simple fix was simply this: go to a huge parking lot that is empty and do figure 8's about 7 or 8 times without breaking the pattern. This will reset the 'tumblers' and the computer is nulled to north. Problem solved unless you truely have something wrong there.

3. Each door has its own ECM that controls the segment and partial opening of each window, whether opening or closing the door...its that little pause down the window takes indicates that you experience a failed detent. As for me, I did have a hard fail of the driver's doors' ECM and that was replaced. When disconnecting the battery for any reason, or that of the problem stated in number 1, and you've reconnected the battery, the next move is to put down both windows at the same time, bring them up at the same time, repeat the process, then try each individually after that. You may need to step out of the car to truely see the detent work properly. Note: once the battery is disconnected, the timing of the ECM's have been altered and must be nulled and matched once again. It fixed the problem recently.

These simple little fixes are all done at home, cost is zip, nada, zero, and saves time to and from work and/or the dealership. If neither of these 'fixes' work, you actually may have a hard fail, but its worth finding out by trying these first.

I'm sure these fixes may also be partial to just the '06, but I'd try them anyway to all C6's...you never know unless its tried!
vettejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Smmmokin'

Name : Floyd Bingel
Smmmokin' has disabled reputation

Just a note on the above cure. This "fix," touching the two cables together, might be a OK for cars before '08, it was used in trouble shooting Cadillac XLRs, but, from '08 and newer it was a no-no, this info came from an XLR tech. Just to be safe I'd look further into the procedure before proceeding.
Smmmokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smmmokin' View Post
Just a note on the above cure. This "fix," touching the two cables together, might be a OK for cars before '08, it was used in trouble shooting Cadillac XLRs, but, from '08 and newer it was a no-no, this info came from an XLR tech. Just to be safe I'd look further into the procedure before proceeding.
Wont the battery deal result in battery exploding or did I misunderstand something...
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Smmmokin'

Name : Floyd Bingel
Smmmokin' has disabled reputation

I know what's going through your head, but you aren't connecting positive and negative off the battery, instead, you're connecting, or touching the leads together, positive, still attached to the battery, and the negative lead (coming from the engine ground) coming in contact with the still connected positive. This drains any juice in any of the car's components so that everything is zeroed, now everything has to relearn it's job and many problems can be erased from various memories.

Think of it as if you disconnected both cables and touched them together, same result.
Smmmokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
vettejack

Name : Jack Legere
vettejack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smmmokin' View Post
I kinda mentioned the 'disclaimer' that the 'fix' could be for older C6's only...beginning or ending with what MY, I haven't a clue!

Nevertheless, its wise to ask a service tech to see if the repairs are good for all MY's.

Contact the dealership before attempting to do any of this at home.

Did I just do a commercial??
vettejack is offline   Reply With Quote