The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 07-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Micanopy, FL

Weekend before last, the wife and I took a drive out to Micanopy, FL just to see what it is like after so many years have passed by since we were last out that way. We first found it quite by accident when driving south out of Gainesville on 441 and just happened to notice the sign indicating the town. Just on a lark we turned off and decided to check it out. Now this was likely in the mid 80s, if I remember correctly.

Micanopy turned out to be a really neat quaint little sleepy town with some REAL antique shops and an old used book shop. I think they had one eatery there at the time, but don't recall. In any event the wife and I spent a few hours there, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and then continued on our trip. Pretty much forgot about that town over the years.

Then oh maybe in the mid to late 90s or so, we came to be in that neck of the woods again and decided to stop in and check out Micanopy. Boy, what a disappointment! Place looked like the yuppies had taken over. Buildings were painted in bold colors and I guess an attempt was made to make it more of a tourist stop over then anything. We spent maybe 15 minutes there and then left.

Not sure why we decided to go back this time, since in reality I would have thought it would have continued on that trend we saw last time, only gotten worse. Basically "antique" shops filled with imported crap that is about as antique as my tube of toothpaste. But seriously, we were pleasantly surprised. The place was much as we remembered it during our first trip. Old antique shops with REAL antiques (one had a LOT of old medical paraphernalia for sale that was pretty interesting), and even the old book store was about the same. Matter of fact, I found a few really old reptile books by an author I read avidly as a kid during the 50s. There are a couple of more modern false antique shops there, but they are much more subdued and tend to blend in much better with the real image of Micanopy. But we could just as well have been thrown back into time to the mid 80s as far as the way things looked there.

So if you have a free day, and like to see a real genuine sleepy old Florida town, take a trip to Micanopy. If you or the better half likes antiques, I think you will find it well worth the trip.

Yeah, I know, I should have taken pics. Maybe next time......
Unread 07-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Rich, during the early 90's, Michael J. Fox filmed a movie there called Doc Hollywood. I saw it a long time ago. Average movie. I'm guessing that was the reason it basically turned into a tourist spot.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Small world. The wife and I went to that BIG and REAL antique shop you're referring to several years ago on the way back from the mountains.

Bought her an antique Victorian era couch there then had to go back up to truck it back

As the song say...the things we do for love.....

It's a shame how people try so hard to make things q"quaint" that the screw them up in the process. DOn't worry, it'll get "old" on it's own. Don't need our help.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Rich Z

Yeah, I saw the movie recently when I dragged out some old VCR tapes I had trying to figure out which ones to scrap and which ones to replace with DVDs. Probably the reason the idea came to mind to go there again.

The old garage is still there in Micanopy but looks long abandoned. I think the flurry of "yuppyism" from the movie's notoriety has finally subsided and the town is returning to what made it attractive in the first place. I sincerely hope there are more towns like that around. Wouldn't mind finding a few of them.
Unread 07-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Wasn't "The Truman Show" filmed somewhere up by you? If I remember correctly, it was in a town called Niceville. The name of the town in the movie was Seaside I believe.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Rich Z

Yeah, I believe so. Been through Niceville several times, but it doesn't really have any personality to it. It could be any of thousands of towns you pass through on a trip. Micanopy is quite different. And I'm quite surprised it is that way being so close to Gainesville. It's like it is caught in some sort of time warp or something. And I hope it never escapes. There are a couple of things there in those antique shops and book place I didn't buy that I am still thinking about.......
Unread 07-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
gsjack

Name :
gsjack is on a distinguished road

You would never know you were only 15 minutes outside of Gainesville. I head up to Shands once a month to see my Dr.
What a nightmare that town, Gainesville, has turned into. Always glad to get back on 121 and 41 heading south toward Inverness.
Feels like heaven once i go under 75 and see the open fields and woods.

Jack

04 Z06 Z16(SOLD)
gsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

i will be up that way on the 23rd on my way to seaside. i got a house in seaside for a week. i was there about 12 years ago. its a nice place to get away. i will be taking the z on the trip too.
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
litevette

Name :
litevette has disabled reputation

I run sales calls all over the state. I sometimes run into little towns like that. Sometimes they are quaint and I'll try and stop. Sometimes they are just plain creepy. Thoughts of Deliverence come to mind. Those I just drive on past.
litevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
TwistedFun

Name :
TwistedFun has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by litevette
I run sales calls all over the state. I sometimes run into little towns like that. Sometimes they are quaint and I'll try and stop. Sometimes they are just plain creepy. Thoughts of Deliverence come to mind. Those I just drive on past.
hey boy! you gotta purdy mouth!

i kinda know what ya mean. scary creepy places out in the swamp area. i had a great time up in the seaside area last week though. it was very nice but building up fast. the trip in the z was a blast. i didnt even feel like i had been driving for 7 hours.