The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

View Poll Results: (C6) How often do you drive with the auto trans in SPORT mode?
Never 0 0%
Rarely 0 0%
Sometimes 2 66.67%
Mostly 0 0%
Always 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Auto transmission mode.... (C6)

Yesterday I took out the C6 for a ride to get the oil changed and run some errands, and unlike previous times, I found myself REALLY enjoying driving it. Not sure what happened. Maybe it is finally getting broken in after getting 3,000 miles on the clock. But I just previously found myself BORED TO TEARS with an automatic transmission. And yesterday it just seemed like it has become a different car from what I remembered earlier.

In any event, it sure felt, well, RESPONSIVE this time around. Later on in the drive, I decided to try the Sport (S) setting on the transmission and also put it into Competitive Mode. Well, I'll tell you, it felt positively aggressive when I just barely pressed on the accelerator! Interesting, to say the least.....

So this brought a question up in my mind. Of you that have C6 automatics, how many of you mostly use the Sport setting on the tranny rather than the regular Drive setting?
Unread 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Qman

Name :
Qman is on a distinguished road

Im using sport all the time but i have not tried the paddles yet. I have 600 miles on it I cant imagine it will run stronger after 3000 miles. I hit 175mph on mine in drive mode with 200 miles on it, hope i did not mess up brake in.
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman
Im using sport all the time but i have not tried the paddles yet. I have 600 miles on it I cant imagine it will run stronger after 3000 miles. I hit 175mph on mine in drive mode with 200 miles on it, hope i did not mess up brake in.
The manual says to not exceed 55 mph for the first 500 miles......... That was the LONGEST 500 miles the wife and I have ever driven......

Also changed the oil after about the first 80 miles. And just changed it again on Wednesday with 3,000 or so. Oil life monitor said it still had 80 percent life to the oil....
Unread 05-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
Qman

Name :
Qman is on a distinguished road
Talking thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
The manual says to not exceed 55 mph for the first 500 miles......... That was the LONGEST 500 miles the wife and I have ever driven......

Also changed the oil after about the first 80 miles. And just changed it again on Wednesday with 3,000 or so. Oil life monitor said it still had 80 percent life to the oil....
Well I screwed up the 55mph thing but now thanks to you im changing my oil at 650 miles. I could not find anything about the early oil change in my manuel but it only makes sence. Thanks again!
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
Rich Z

Well I remember from my old high performance days that it just makes sense to replace the oil EARLY in a new engine. While it is breaking in, there is naturally going to be more abrasive junk in the oil than at any other time during the life of the motor as all the parts get their initial wear. So get it out of the oil circulation.

I should really get the transmission fluid and filter changed as well.....

Actually I guess it's a lot like breaking in a target grade rifle. The break-in can literally make or break the accuracy of the gun. And most of the break in period involves CLEANING the barrel between shots to keep the metal from the machined rifling in the barrel from permanently scoring and ruining the barrel.
Unread 05-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Rich Z

The other day we took out the C6 for a ride and Connie was driving. I figured I would show her the (S) sport mode for the tranny as well as the way to kick it into Competitive Mode. We drove most of the day that way, but honestly she didn't drive in the manner where they would be useful or even noticeable. I think her words were "Those settings are wasted on me." I didn't even bother showing her the paddle shifts....

Now the interesting thing I noticed was that not only did the Sport mode for the transmission get worse gas mileage, but so did the Competitive Mode setting. It was pretty noticeable while driving down the road at a constant rate of speed and just flipping in and out of those settings. Now I would expect that with the Sport mode for the transmission, but the Competitive setting surprised me. I thought all that would do is to take off traction control, but evidently it must do something more than just that.....