The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 05-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Rusty turbos (before and after)

When I originally got my STS turbo kit, I was a bit disappointed that they were basically just cast iron and knew for certain they would rust up pretty quickly. I should have just sent them off to be ceramic coated at that time, plus a couple of the other parts as well. But I was anxious to get the kit installed, and had some trouble getting the window of opportunity with Greg to synchronize with my own. So I didn't want to have a further complication of having a delay with those parts being coated.

Anyway, sure enough, wasn't long before those turbos looked like this:

Pretty darn ugly! No two ways about it, rust is just butt ugly to look at, no matter what it is on.

Anyway, Greg arranged with STS to get me new exhaust housings (those were the parts that rusted up the most) and got me some different ones that would spool up faster that my original ones. Well when those were put onto the car, they made a world of difference to me. Not only in appearance, but also in the quickness with which the boost seems to come on. Matter of fact, I can hear them spooling up much sooner in all the gears. Even in sixth, when under some load, the spooling is VERY evident and noticeable. Connie really likes that sound and I have to admit it is VERY interesting to hear.

Anyway, I noticed that the center pieces of the turbos were also showing some rust, so I bought some rust remover that basically turns the rust into a form of primer prior to painting. Put the stuff on, let it set for 24 hours, then applied a coat of some high temperature silver colored paint. I've still got to get to the backsides of the things, because I just couldn't do it with the car sitting on the ground. Got some ramps on order, so as soon as I get them, I'll be able to tackle that part of them.

But still, the VISIBLE sides look DARN nice, I think....
Unread 05-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Qman

Name :
Qman is on a distinguished road
Default turbo

very nice
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote