The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Ranting Room (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Sad state (https://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12594)

sglfladad 02-03-2008 03:21 PM

Sad state

So you all know I'm selling the Z. I used the white windshield marker and put tho FOR Sale on my back window yesterday.

Today I drive her to a little handicap tournament of a sport I play. One of the players brought his two daughters. The 12 year old daughter was admiring the car, told me she thinks it nice. I mean she was really admiring it. Walking around, not touching, looking in. It felt good to see her so interested. She said, nice car or something to that effect. Then she saw the For Sale written on the back window and with a sad look,asked why I was selling it.

I told her that I had some other priorities in life and that I choose to. She sad that's sad. I said yes, a little bit, but other doors are opening that are exciting to me. When the time I right, I will certainly have another corvette.

So now to my rant! I briefly thought about asking her if she wanted a ride around the block. I'm sure it would have made her day. A little spirited ride around the block in a ZO6 for a girl whose dad drives a beat up old LeBaron.

Then I thought about the possibility of someone thinking that it may have been a little more than just a ride around the block. So I chose not to offer. If I knew the father better or had not just met her today I probably would have offered.

My point is that it is a sad state when a guy can't feel comfortable offering a child a thrill like that.

So sad. I still feel bad about it.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Shadow 02-03-2008 03:29 PM

It is sad but you chose correctly grasshopper:thumbsup:

When my daughter was about 14 or so, she had a friend that lived not too far from us. One evening she was visiting my daughter and at about 9pm had to leave.

I offered to take her home (had met the parents, had dinner with them, etc) and thought nothing of it.

My wife intervened and said, "let me do it." I thought nothing of it at the time.

When she returned, she mentioned that it was "safer" if she did it than to have the young girl in the car with me that late at night:eek:

I'm like WTF:shrug01:!!! and a more than a little pissed that she'd even THINK such a thing:mad:

Being in law enforcement for so many years, harming a child was the furthest thing from my mind. She'd probably be as safe as she'd ever bee with me:thumbsup:

Of course, when I settled down a bit, I realized what the wife said was correct and that the implications of even an allegation could ruin me and the family. She was right:thumbsup:

And so are you my friend...it really is a sad world we live in:(

navy2kcoupe 02-03-2008 04:36 PM

You may or may not be right, but what you did is "cheap insurance"! It's always the safe out, and it just might save your reputation and wallet!
Andy

Rich Z 02-03-2008 04:52 PM

Yeah, amen! And some kids these days would think nothing of making up some bs story thinking it funny while it ruins your life for good. In that kind of circumstance, you are probably going to be branded guilty until proven innocent. And with no witnesses, you are screwed.

This has just become a sick and twisted world. So much so that just trying to be a good guy can land you in all sorts of trouble. So being a good samaritan sometimes flies in the face of prudence. Heck, when's the last time you gave a hitchhiker a lift? Some poor sucker these days basically is guaranteed to have to walk all the way for assistance. A while back I saw an old black guy walking in the rain, soaking wet. I felt like crap that I didn't trust any stranger enough to let them in my vehicle, no matter what the circumstance.

Shadow 02-03-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Yeah, amen! And some kids these days would think nothing of making up some bs story thinking it funny while it ruins your life for good. In that kind of circumstance, you are probably going to be branded guilty until proven innocent. And with no witnesses, you are screwed.
Very true and even if/when you do prevail in court, as you mentioned, your banking accounts are likely drained, and your reputation is shot to hell!!

Unfortunately, sometimes the retractions don't make the headlines that the allegations do:(

als2052 02-03-2008 08:29 PM

Good Call...

vett boy 02-03-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by als2052 (Post 50291)
Good Call...

Yep

Z06 Rocket 02-04-2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 50275)
Very true and even if/when you do prevail in court, as you mentioned, your banking accounts are likely drained, and your reputation is shot to hell!!

Unfortunately, sometimes the retractions don't make the headlines that the allegations do:(

Try NEVER Shadow, that is not news worthy in the media's eyes. When can u say that you saw ANY retraction on the front page. IF, and that's a big IF, they retract anything it's back on page 10 or 12, and smalllllllll.

:thumbsdown::ack2:

ynkedad 02-04-2008 09:08 AM

Sad Indeed..

I too feel you did a service to yourself by NOT going thru with your 1st thought. It probably would have been a Major thrill that would have stayed with her for many years to come, and who knows, maybe she'd have been a Vette owner because of it.:yesnod:

It's Unfortunate :nonod: the way some people are, and what they'll do to get ahead in life no matter who they hurt in the process!
Because of the few we're force to make decisions like you did:thumbsup:.

..What a Shame!!!:thumbsdown:

Tommy T-Bone 02-18-2008 08:55 AM

Sad that you have to double think everything you do today. I would have done as you did. Trust your gut.