View Single Post
Unread 11-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Yeah, probably so, Junk, but the first time doing anything always gets me apprehensive. Fear of the unknown, I guess. But yeah, apparently lots of people can do this job laying on their back in their driveway, so my having a lift SHOULD make this much easier to do. Still, there is this old age thing, and my back certainly isn't what it used to be. The other day I did a tire rotation on the Jeep, and putting the rotated tire back on that rear spare tire carrier about did my back in. So if I have to buy a couple of transmission jacks to save my back, that is what I will have to do.

I was looking underneath the car yesterday, kind of hoping it would prove to be a transmission problem and hoping I could pull the differential and tranny without having to lower the torque tube below where the edge of the tunnel plate is. I've heard some people say that you need to remove the intake manifold to keep it from hitting against the firewall when the angle of the torque tube gets acute enough to be able to pull it away from the bellhousing.

Anyway, here's a video showing the noise I am talking about:

This was after I had the torque tube, clutch, throwout and pilot bearings, and flywheel replaced. The noise seems to happen most often going from a dead stop and when I am taking pressure off of the clutch pedal so that the clutch pressure plate engages the disk. It will sometimes, although more rarely and less noticeably, happen when changing gears while accelerating. Happens in reverse as well as forward gears. I can often feel a strong vibration associated with the noise directly on the shifter handle.

I believe this has been happening all along ever since I brought the car home from Aaron Scott's place, but haven't checked back to confirm it. There were noises then likely caused by the over long Pfadt driveshaft and failing throw out bearing that could have been masking this current drivetrain noise. The transmission and differential were built by RPM, btw.

I'm hoping to be able to reproduce the noise reliably so I can try to pinpoint exactly what it going on. I bought one of those Steelman 97202 wireless transmitter kits that I'm hoping to use for that purpose.

It appears to me that the sound only happens under load, and intermittently. Transmission has to be in gear, clutch pedal is being let off of and as torque is applied to the drivetrain, the noise will *sometimes* show up.

So I sure would appreciate some ideas. I've been scouring YouTube looking for videos of anyone else having this same sort of problem, but with no luck so far. I sure as heck don't want to pull the drivetrain apart and then wind up just putting it back together again because I couldn't find any smoking gun. And I sure as heck just don't want to start replacing everything hoping that the shotgun approach will work, although expensively.