View Single Post
Unread 06-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :
Formula Outlaw has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427
FO, I did the same thing. Even if you are into NCRS, they can't judge the internals! My original matching number big block was rebuilt in 1986, just before I bought it. .30 over, TRW 10.5/1 pistons, Crane cam, blueprint/balanced, heads reworked for unleaded fuel, 3 angle valve job, Sig Erson roller rockers, and not one of these items can be judged.

The car has a 3.08 rear so it is a real easy cruiser, so the previous owner put a low end cam that pulled pretty strong to 5200 RPM and then it ran out of camshaft. As much as I liked the low end performance, I just could not stand the cam running out before the stock redline on the tach. About 8 or 9 years ago, I decided I really needed to detail the engine compartment in areas that I could not reach. So, I pulled the motor and put it on an engine stand and went after the engine bay. While I had the motor out I pulled the Crane cam and put a Comp Cam 270H Magnum with the matching lifters. Then decided to minimize the points and put a MSD 6AL and finally, dropped a new Centerforce clutch/pp when I put it back together.

None of these modifications are visible to an NCRS judge (if I was inclined to let them look) except for the MSD box. I really like the stock appearance on the vintage Vettes, but you just can't get the same performance with the stock internals. Besides, I didn't build it for NCRS, I built it for ME!

Man, I couldn't agree more with you. Something else I had previously done was yank out the points/condensor ignition and put in a Breakerless SE electronic unit which fits inside the stock distributor so it still looks stock. That made a BIG difference on how much it smoothed the idle out and the engine overall. Now with all those rollers just a rollin', it's almost hard to feel it, it's SO smooth. Since I can't help but just throw money away, I upgraded the clutch as well. And went back to the original aluminum/clutch fan set up.

I've done a fair amount of drag racing over the years, and by the seat of the pants feel, I'll bet I cut a second and a half off my quarter mile time. It made THAT much of a difference.

I can go from 3,000 to 6,500 in third faster than I used to be able in first.

I know I was in second the first time I really tromped it and my head was almost back into the rear partition. I was NOT expecting THAT much of a difference.

Money WELL spent....

65' - originally L76 - now full roller motor - est. 128 rear wheel horsepower- 4.11 Posi - original parts mothballed / 1,657 coats of wax, AND the clock works...
Formula Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote