Thread: Mosquitos!!
View Single Post
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Mosquitos!!

Damn they are heavy this year. I've only got two mosquito magnets running because my oldest one just won't start up, but I've had to change the capture bags in both of them TWICE now in the last couple of weeks. Normally I might have to change the bag every two or three propane tank refills, which is normally 3 weeks to a month for each refill. Right around sunset, the magnets are just covered and surrounded by even more mosquitos waiting to get entrapped. It's unreal! With the number captured and killed so far, I just can't imagine what it would be like around here without them. We would probably be trapped inside the house and buildings because they would be impossible to avoid when we walked outside.

I ordered two more Mosquito magnets because I've been finding quite a few in the animal buildings and I need to step up the trapping to get rid of them faster.

But where the heck are they all coming from? I've been running these mosquito magnets for a couple of years now, and they have always been taking mosquitos out of the environment. But with the numbers now, either someone is just dumping truck loads of mosquitos at the end of our driveway or SOMETHING has really caused the population of them to explode.

Now the strange thing is that I put a five gallon bucket half filled with water near one of the mosquito magnets and I have yet to see any mosquito larvae in it. The reason I do this is that I assume some of the mosquitos may connect with a blood meal, and I want them to lay their eggs in a place where I can then kill off the larvae rather than them finding some other place where they will hatch and become even more mosquitos. But I am baffled about why there seems to be an almost unlimited supply of mosquitos around here but NO larvae in an obvious place for them to be.

Sheesh, wouldn't that be a kick in the butt if the mosquitos mutated to where they no longer need that water cycle for the larvae? Man, we would be in BIG trouble then.... Sure would be some BIG changes in Florida if the more virulent strains of malaria found it's way here.