View Single Post
Unread 10-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, actually I think working on Corvettes has become a two-pronged effort these days. The mechanical labor is done by "wrenchers" and the electronic/computer level stuff done by "tuners". Most will try to do both, but some will specialize in one or the other. Generally it's a two step process anyway, with all the wrenching being done before the tuning step can begin.

I got most of the "wrenching" out of my system many years ago but still like to tinker with the minor stuff. I've to the tools necessary for the tuning stuff, but there is really a stiff learning curve involved where some errors can cost you your engine because of a mistake in logic on your part. Those programs (HPtuners and EFIlive) won't try to handhold you with multiple levels of "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT?" If you want to destroy your engine, then they will certainly allow you do that. Of course, higher level wrenching has it's own pitfalls as well, such as forgetting to torque the crankshaft main bolts or something silly like that. But errors are EASY in tuning that have drastic results.

So the problem is that computer tuning is just not something that many people want to tackle with their new cars. When tuning used to be done with a set of wrenches, screw drivers, and feeler gauges it was just fun to do. And since computer tuning is pretty much the only game in town for the new vehicles, gearheads just haven't had much interest in making the leap to "tunerheads". Because, let's face it, if you do anything even moderately related to performance, with you are going to have to learn to do the tuning part, or get someone else to do it for you. Which, honestly, is probably a big drawback for a lot of folks.

So yeah, unless you are working on the older vehicles, or are willing to toss your new car and extended warranty into the trashcan, you are probably pretty much leaving things well enough alone with your car.

So realistically, based on the average demographics of a typical Corvette club, yes, you are going to run into mostly a "shine and show" crowd. They will be able to talk your ear off about the best polish to use or what works best for removing lovebugs, but when you get into what size primaries are best for your headers, or asking if you should change out the first gear ratio to go taller if you go to a 410 differential, well, you'll probably just get blank stares most of the time.