View Single Post
Unread 02-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres712 View Post
Jim:

Thanks for your reply. The site you attached was great! I got it off after I could see that I just didn't pull hard enough. The consenses is that black is OEM and red is aftermarket. We bought the car used and it has red plug wires. So I guess that means they were replaced? It only had 37/k on it when we bought it....Wonder if he replaced them at that milage?

Anyway, thanks again. You going to be Punta Gorda?

Jim H.
Well not exactly... oem is actually grey, but gm does make a set of red wires also, the gmpp set is red.

You should go ahead and change the entire set. While it's not as easy as changing the oil, you can do it in a couple of hours. Plan on aching back muscles, a few skinned knuckles and contorting your fingers into positions that a raccoon would give up on, especially the back cylinders. I performed this minor procedure on both of my C5s and while it is a PAIN, at least you know it was done correctly.

Always use dielectric/silicone lube on the plugs and boots when installing, it prevents moisture from getting in and makes it easier to replace the plugs again in a year or two.

Have fun...
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote