The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road
Default Never a dull moment

I spent the last three days painting the calipers and cleaning the wheels.
Got three of the wheels back on the car but the rear driver's side gave me a problem. Only two lug nuts would tighten to 100 pounds. The other three would go as far as 90 pounds and kept turning. Took the wheel off again and checked the threads of the lug nuts and they looked like they had a little rust. Went to a car shop near the house to see if they had a tool to clean them but no dice. Went to AutoZone and they wanted me to buy the whole tap set. Called CCW in Daytona where I bought the wheels and they asked me to come over and gave me five new lug nuts. Happy, right?
Well, not really. I put the wheel back, tighten four nuts {top-bottom-side-side) to 100 pounds and when I got to the last one, disaster. I busted the bolt.
I have an appointment for Friday morning at the local Chevy dealer to get it fixed. Man oh man oh man.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I hate it when crap like that happens...
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

That's sucks Lou G
Unread 10-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Went to the Chevy dealer this morning to get the lug nut stud fixed.
Was told that because I had installed an after-market wheel, it was not cover under the warranty. They gave me a $200 estimate.
I could not believe it. What difference does it make that I have after-market wheels. The same holes, the same studs, the same nuts. I told the Service Manager that when I was torking the nut, I heard a click when it got to 90 lbs. When I said that, he gave a look like I was bsing him. So, I walked out and will have it done by someone else.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

It makes me ill to think of taking anything to a dealer for repairs. My wife's Trailblazer has an aftermarket extended warranty on it. I took it to University Chevrolet a year or so ago for a tail light that was inop and the a/c occassionally blowing through the defrost vent. My warranty is a platinum plan. No deductible, practically eveything is covered. They fixed the tail light problem, it was a shorted connector, $231.00(WOW, but it was covered). They could not duplicate the a/c problem so they charge me thirty something dollars to "check it out". I could understand if that was the only problem I brought it in for, but they already had it in to fix the light. Did it take 30 minutes of the tech's time to put his hand in front of the a/c or defrost vent to see if it was blowing when he went outside to bring it in the shop?!? Plus they had to reinstall some screws in the drivers seat that they had "fixed" on an earlier visit under factory warranty.
85vette is offline   Reply With Quote