The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 04-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody own their own business?

Hey guys and gals. I'm thinking of starting a photography business on the side and wanted to get some opinions. It won't be a traditional type, like being hired to photograph a specific event. More like selling pics I've taken and then branching out from there. I would like to trademark the name so that kinda steers me away from a sole proprietorship. Is LLC the way to go? It will only be me, no partners or anything. I'm guessing I need to get a tax id number and have papers drawn up?

Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Rich, I see that you've gotten out of the reptile business. What are you up to these days? I know we've talked about cameras in the past. I hope you're taking pictures of whatever you're doing. It's a great way of expression I'm learning.

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

www.legalzoom.com for alot of good info.

Good Luck!
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Scott,
Everything (almost) you'll need to know right here for free:

http://www.myflorida.com/taxonomy/business/

I've had my own business for over 18 years. Actually, it's had ME!

Mine is very time and $$ intensive, not so much physical.

Your could be $$ intensive at first, but once you're equpment is purchased, not so much any more.

I love taking photos and have thought of doing something similar one day. No time now though

A couple of things to remember.....Incorporation!!

Get a shield between you and the business. I wouldn''t use my name (again) but would choose a catchy one or 2 word title that get's peoples attention.

Maybe something that indicates your interests or direction.

A "Tag line".
Something that people will remember...

"You're in good hands with.....??? Whose tag line is that

If you use a logo, use something that people are going to relate to.
You probably want it to stand out without being gaudy or overbearing.

The Gecko for instance. Can't look at a freaking Iguana without thinking of that little fecker! and the company it represents.

Spend some $$ on your business cards and website. If you're going to try to sell beauty, both better reflect that.

These cut and paste perforated business cards are a for anyone really interested in being professional.

You hand me one that is obviously of the above nature, and it'll go inthe garbage as soon as you leave.

Opening and running a business is not all that difficult. If you don't know something, ask. Have professionals handle the tax crap and paperwork. You focus on what you do best

Call me if you have any questions on start up.
It's not all that difficult my friend. I'll be happy to assist you in any way I can.

Gordon

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The Gecko for instance. Can't look at a freaking Iguana without thinking of that little fecker! and the company it represents.

I always think of the lizard on a stick Arnold was eating in the first Conan movie.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
MADN3SS

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Scott,
Everything (almost) you'll need to know right here for free:

http://www.myflorida.com/taxonomy/business/

I've had my own business for over 18 years. Actually, it's had ME!

Mine is very time and $$ intensive, not so much physical.

Your could be $$ intensive at first, but once you're equpment is purchased, not so much any more.

I love taking photos and have thought of doing something similar one day. No time now though

A couple of things to remember.....Incorporation!!

Get a shield between you and the business. I wouldn''t use my name (again) but would choose a catchy one or 2 word title that get's peoples attention.

Maybe something that indicates your interests or direction.

A "Tag line".
Something that people will remember...

"You're in good hands with.....??? Whose tag line is that

If you use a logo, use something that people are going to relate to.
You probably want it to stand out without being gaudy or overbearing.

Spend some $$ on your business cards and website. If you're going to try to sell beauty, both better reflect that.

These cut and paste perforated business cards are a for anyone really interested in being professional.

You hand me one that is obviously of the above nature, and it'll go inthe garbage as soon as you leave.

Opening and running a business is not all that difficult. If you don't know something, ask. Have professionals handle the tax crap and paperwork. You focus on what you do best

Call me if you have any questions on start up.
It's not all that difficult my friend. I'll be happy to assist you in any way I can.

Gordon
Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it.

Gordon, I don't really intend to pursue it that hard. I suppose it could be more in the future, but I just mainly want to have it to sell some pictures. I haven't really decided what type to do because I enjoy almost all of it. With the exception of portraits and weddings. I don't need the stress!

I'm leaning towards LLC. The business cards will definitely not be skimped on and I will be working on a website soon.

I've spent so much time working and doing this on the side that I haven't left any time for chatting online or cleaning the Vette. It's pretty dirty!

Thanks for the support. And I definitely will get in touch if I need some help. If I was a bettin' man, I'd say it's 100% that I'll need help, lol!

Scott

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
Unread 04-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Known you a long time my friend. Want to see you do well

Anything you need, just call.

G

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Nothing like being an owner even with the headaches. You take all the risks and get all the glory. I have a dental practice and the start up was astronomical. Overhead is a bitch but that's life and I deal with it. I like the creative aspect of dentisrty because it allows me to be an artist as well as a doctor. 26 years later and stll love playing doctor.
When I was in college, I was the chief photographer for the yearbook for a couple years. I love photography and the creative juices that flow with it. I developed my own pictures and helped with lay outs, etc. I made a few bucks doing it and allowed me to pay for some of my college. I also did some side work like weddings, photo shoots, etc. What I found however is that I prefer photography as a hobby and not as a profession. I prefer the spontaneous aspect of photography and felt cramped by the business of it.
If you are really serious about this, a website is an absolute must. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is absolutely critical to keep your name on page 1. You don't want your site on page 4 because you won't get the traffic.
Rubbing elbows at Chamber of Commerce events is a no brainer. It's free advertising and you meet other business folks as well.
This is just a start and I hope my humble .02 worth is helpful.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
MADN3SS

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR View Post
Nothing like being an owner even with the headaches. You take all the risks and get all the glory. I have a dental practice and the start up was astronomical. Overhead is a bitch but that's life and I deal with it. I like the creative aspect of dentisrty because it allows me to be an artist as well as a doctor. 26 years later and stll love playing doctor.
When I was in college, I was the chief photographer for the yearbook for a couple years. I love photography and the creative juices that flow with it. I developed my own pictures and helped with lay outs, etc. I made a few bucks doing it and allowed me to pay for some of my college. I also did some side work like weddings, photo shoots, etc. What I found however is that I prefer photography as a hobby and not as a profession. I prefer the spontaneous aspect of photography and felt cramped by the business of it.
If you are really serious about this, a website is an absolute must. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is absolutely critical to keep your name on page 1. You don't want your site on page 4 because you won't get the traffic.
Rubbing elbows at Chamber of Commerce events is a no brainer. It's free advertising and you meet other business folks as well.
This is just a start and I hope my humble .02 worth is helpful.
Thanks THOR. I too prefer it as a hobby and really don't enjoy the business end of it either. It's sort of my own therapy, which I need... a lot, lol. But from what friends and family tell me, I should be selling them. So I've been to a few photography/photoshop classes and even impressed the instructors (photographers themselves), with a few of my images. One of my goals this year is to enter a few contests, and of course I haven't, because I'm a world class procrastinator.

Everyone's help has been great. And Gordon, it's been what, almost 20 years since I met you. That would make me, well, old.

Unread 04-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Scott, I've got a friend and fellow Vietnam Vet that's been doing that for over 40 years. He loves to travel as well, and bought a Sprinter van to combine the two. He set it up to be his studio on wheels and as he travels, he takes pictures of "local stuff", processes it, and then sells the results to "local businesses/people". His website is www.hannanart.com and his name is Mike Hannan. Hop on over there and check it out..........there may be something there that helps you. If you contact him, tell him that Andy Anderson told you about him. He has also told me that with the downturn in the economy that his business is way off.........maybe keeping it as a hobby to start out with is a good thing. Good luck with the decision! Hobbies have a way of turning into businesses. Think I'm kidding.......???? Just look at our Vettes. They ALL started out as hobbies, and now we've got more time and money invested them than some businesses do! Anyway, have some serious fun doing what you obviously love to do........
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

My son and I have three different corporations and most of the time the challenge is fun even at my age .This month is just fantastic (1) IRS audit on April 21st (1) sales tax audit on the 20th from Maine (1) audit sales tax inquire from Arizona and the best one we just had was a sales tax audit from New Hampshire and NH doesn't have a sales tax .I'm just so disappointed that Florida and Mississippi didn't show up .

The pointer that I can give you is this ,make sure your paper work is in A-1 order.Do your taxes properly and don't depend on wild Willie down at the YMCA to prepare your taxes .16,000 new IRS agents are coming on board shortly .You will be audited .Fortunately my son for the last 5yrs has made things right .If you plan on working out of your home (or home office) thats now a big flag .Just do it right you'll be fine.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote