The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 03-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
zfever

Name :
zfever has disabled reputation
Default need advised

I got a 2002 z06 and Im looking to replace the cam for another one looking just for the choppy sound not racing interested. The only mods i have is long tube headers and intake. I would like to keep my Z streetable. I have been told that a comp cam thumper 54-600-11 plus valve spring kit will give me what im looking for. I live in Miami, if somebody can direct me to the right shop or person for advise will be appreciated.

Thank you.
zfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Bear in mind that the more radical the camshaft, the harder it will be to get the tune right. There is a reason for the loping (choppy) idle with BIG cams. The air/fuel mixture goes all squirrely, so what you hear is your car just running roughly because the ignition taking place in the cylinders is now screwed up.

And bear in mind also, that those big cams are generally designed to put more power on the top end of the RPM range, and often times your low end torque can suffer quite a bit because of the tradeoff you have to pay. So you wind up with a car that sounds like you have a spark plug wire loose, and is real sluggish till you get some rpms built up. You may not be real happy with the results. Then you wind up spending a lot more money just to try to make it right again. Or you get rid of the car.

Just make sure you find someone who is competent and honest and not just someone who SAYS they are honest and THINKS they are competent. A lot of people will just try to sell you a bill of goods, promising you exactly what they know you want to hear. All it takes is getting someone like that laying a wrench on your car and they can screw it, and YOU, up BIG TIME.

Hate to be a wet blanket...........
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
357V

Name : James Nulty
357V has disabled reputation
Default 228r

Cams are like tires everyone has favorites and most of them work. That being said the Texas Speed 228r 588/588 with a 112 LSA gives you lots of lope, lots of power without doing major changes to your car. Search the web and see what others have done. A plus is you do not need monster valve springs if you keep the lift under 600. Keep asking around before you pull the trigger.
357V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

I have a 238/242 on 112 lsa 590 lift. I believe your tune is the key to everything. Like Rich said torque suffers low end.If I had it to do over I would not go so radical. The car is very good on the street..I miss my low end torque..Like 357V said really do some research..I also have CNC heads ported intake and a few other goodies that had to be added... high flow oil pump,timing chain, and larger injectors are a few that come to mind...But again the TUNE is the key....
Unread 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Hijack. Damn Dave I'm going to have to drive extra fast to keep up with you to Ocala!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzona View Post
I have a 238/242 on 112 lsa 590 lift. I believe your tune is the key to everything. Like Rich said torque suffers low end.If I had it to do over I would not go so radical. The car is very good on the street..I miss my low end torque..Like 357V said really do some research..I also have CNC heads ported intake and a few other goodies that had to be added... high flow oil pump,timing chain, and larger injectors are a few that come to mind...But again the TUNE is the key....
Unread 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

I never drive over 55... besides that stock Z06 has plenty to keep up with me or 99.9% of any car on the street. I remember the 1st time I rode as a passenger in a Z06 when I was not expecting the driver to dump the clutch..I think I soiled my shorts....Not to change the subject of this thread..Good luck with your search..let us know
Unread 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzona View Post
I never drive over 55... besides that stock Z06 has plenty to keep up with me or 99.9% of any car on the street. I remember the 1st time I rode as a passenger in a Z06 when I was not expecting the driver to dump the clutch..I think I soiled my shorts....Not to change the subject of this thread..Good luck with your search..let us know
I don't think that was "soil" you had to deal with.....
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
mickeystoysz16
I have stripes

Name :
mickeystoysz16 is on a distinguished road

When I am driving the Z16 it gets squirly in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear with the traction control on if I get on it even just a little. That thing is scary fast. Maybe that is why it had skip shift, if you are going to floor it better start in 4th gear. Anyway good luck in your cam selection sorry I could not be much help, I don't know what I would do with even more power than what I can already control
2004 Z06 Corvette Z16 Commemorative Edition #770
2004 Silverado LS 5.3L SWB
1969 Camaro SS RS 396/350HP TH400

Members I have met:
LEJ_ZO6, JCB_NJB, als2052, Phil @ Tampa Tuning, Riceman, C5CHICK, Kap142
mickeystoysz16 is offline   Reply With Quote