The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 03-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
spiceman

Name :
spiceman has disabled reputation
Default SPEEDTV's .....HIGH SCHOOL RACE

A program about 2 High School's given 10K to build drag car's in the auto shop w/ student's building car's to compete against one another.
Has any one watched this series..........post your thought's.
Spiceman
spiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation

Just my impression of the show
Seems like hardly any of the kids have a true interest in cars, especially racing
The $10,000 isn't close to whats been spent on the Stang, unless everything was donated and the actual value of these items don't count, example $25 K paint job
Why did the show developers, The PINKS Guys, have them get the frame work done at a shop that didn't give a damn.
At least the Monza crew seem to be trying to assemble their engine, while the Stang school brought in a 750 HP crate engine, which I believe they are going to have trouble with in future episodes.
I can't believe they had a car show with less then 75 cars and they raised " several thousand dollars" in Tennessee
Hate to sound so negative, just a bad week and this show didn't help. Maybe watching the Formula 1 replay today will as Set Up did
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
spiceman

Name :
Default Thanks Rick for your imput.

reason I posted this question is mainly because my brother is the person (teacher at NADC college of high performance who appears to be portrayed as the BAD guy which as you stated cares less.
There's alot more behind and before, the camera's are rolling going on.
Chris and the NADC Administration, are really put out over this presentation from Speedtv.
Chris' attitude of caring less was caught on tape for sure. This is due to many factor's.
The car doesn't belong at the college to begin with as he states very early on in the show. Once he's found out the real skinny of this car (MONZA)
which was to be built by the HIGH School student's, paid for by SPEEDTV, to be a STUDENT project............WHY? was it at the collge?
His attitude was worse when Chris had given a 3 page list of parts and part number's for the building of the car to Tim (high school auto shop teacher)
for the MONZA. Parts for the nearly 3 week period never delivered. Many faxes sent to TIM, many call's to the high school as to "WHERE ARE THE PART's. And when TIM did show up at NADC..........he walked in with a steering wheel and fire bottle...............a rear end with incorrect axes.
nothing more........camera's NOT rolling.
Chris blurt's out........I can care less if it get's completed...Camera rolling.
In another part segment......The teacher Tim is on camera saying that Chris is taking a 10 day VACATION........therfore no work will be done on the Monza......Chris is quoted as saying he'll not be working on the car for ten day's. What the Camera doesn't show...........Chris for those ten day's was ordered to teach a different class at the college for those ten day's. Had nothing to do with Chris being on some Vacation.
This entire Speedtv High School drag race thing is a farse, and those producing it should be ashamed.
Chris by the way has built many championship race cars..........worked w/ Bob Riley chassis, Has more student's taken by BMW, NASCAR racing teams,
in short some of the best student rating's than any other college. Been voted the Number 1 teacher by the STUDENT body many times over.
The program has portrayed him as a person w/ an attitude. His attitude from the begining has been ....this TV program w/ the MONZA is DISHONEST.
Unread 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
GentleBen

Name :
GentleBen has disabled reputation

I always thought there was more to that, just seemed fishy watching it. When the whole tube frame was started it seemed way outside the rules. Looks like both schools are going to have 50k plus cars hitting the line. That sure isn't what I envisioned when I started watching the show.

Sorry your brother got caught up in all of that nonsense. For what it's worth your brother didn't come off as a bad guy to me. He seemed like the only one with some integrity.
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
naples

Name :
naples is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
Sorry your brother got caught up in all of that nonsense. For what it's worth your brother didn't come off as a bad guy to me. He seemed like the only one with some integrity.
Your brother seemed like the only one with integrity to me as well. The show is painful for me to watch, there are so many many high school kids that would give anything to have this chance, and build a race car and they give it to this bunch. Too much clowning for the camera for my taste.
Unread 04-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
03blackZ06

Name :
03blackZ06 has disabled reputation

lloks like an interesting show with a good concept but poorly portraied. One car has too much money into it and the other has crappy students that don't even want to put the efort to work on the car. good luck to all involved.
03blackZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
spiceman

Name :
Default Soke w/ my brother Cris this morning about the show

Said he had more to fill me in on w/ the show but he's call me back later this afternoon.
Very interested in where this all goes.
I did for the heck of it, go on the Speedtv.com web site and pulled up the link to the high school race just to see what viewer's reaction were.
One person watching the program, wrote in that he's noticed a student welding w/o any protective gear or glasses. He was put out that a teacher would allow any student to do so due to serious injury to the arm's, hands and especially eyes.
The mother of that student boy welding.................she wrote back and said SO WHAT? Her kid, and the chance to be on TV showing his skill's was a opportunity of a life time.........burns go away>>>>>>>YEAH !!
The school that had the extra 30K? what the heck........they put on all sorts or special fund drives and got the kids and entire school envolved. The school that has a teacher defrauding and sneaky...........did nothing.