The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Red face Flat Tire @*#$%@

A few weeks ago I posted about what a great deal I got on my new "non" runflat tires and what a shrewd consumer I was. With the great savings and much quietier ride and lets face it, when was the last time you had a flat tire? How about yesterday?!?! Normally, Star and I go to the gym every morning but yesterday I had a doctors appointment so she drove "Lil'Brat" and I took our Tracker. Just before I got to the doctors office she calls...."Jim the right front is going flat." "Drive it up to Tire Kingdom and get it fixed." "When I say it's going flat, I mean it is flat, and I can hear the air whoosing out." So much for the air compressor I put in the trunk. I called Tire Kingdom and they inform me that Sumotomo has a Free roadside assistance program, which I did purchase. And yes, I have AAA, but why bother them when this is free? Called them and they sent a flatbed to tow. As luck would have it the owner of the towtruck company owns 6 Vettes, so at least they know how to tow a Vette. Got up to Tire Kingdom and there was a piece of glass right thru the middle of the tire. How often do you run over glass and have a piece puncture the tire? It was small enough that a plug/patch worked. BUT, remember....I saved mucho bucks on non runflats vs. runflats.???
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default I remember, I remember...

Hey Pres,
Sorry for your Bad Luck!

As you probably know, I recently purchased non runflats too and also shared my excitement here on the forum. Well, This past week while in St Augustine with Rich and Connie, I noticed I was losing air in the front (R) tire . Like you I began to question my decision to switch. In addition, I've been meaning to buy a tire inflation system from Ecklers, but put it off. Well, the leak was coming from the Valve stem and seemed to pretty slow.

GOOD NEWS...>>>>>
Rich brought his air gauge and nifty tire inflation system and he inflated my tire for me!! And on top of that, Rich offered to let me take his Inflation system home (which I did) just incase I needed it on the way.

Better News...>>>>>>
Turns out the leak was due to a loose valve stem which the tire place just tightened down a bit, and that fixed the problem.

By the way Rich, I went to mail your inflator to you the other day. I went to the UPS place and actually got up to the counter, before I realized I didn't have your address
So, please PM me with your address.
Unread 10-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

I too have replaced the run-flats with non-runflats. I always carry a bottle of fix-a-flat, a tire plug, and a mini-compressor. I also carry roadside assistance on my insurance.

The only flat I've had was luckily slow and found it while at home. I was able to fill it with my home compressor and drive to have it fixed. Oh, I also keep a small flash light incase I get a flat at night.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Good advice shakedown067. I have everything except the fix-a-flat. Someone said that you will trash the tire pressure monitoring system module, that's part of the valve stem, if you use fix-a-flat. I figure that if the tire plug and compressor don't get it good enuf to drive to a repair shop, then I'll call for a tow and get back some of my insurance money . My Vette had non run flats on it when I bought it (Falken tires), so I can't compare the run flats with the non run flats. By the way, as far as I'm concerned, the plug is just a TEMPORARY fix to get me someplace that can fix it permanently and properly with a patch on the inside of the tire!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
By the way, as far as I'm concerned, the plug is just a TEMPORARY fix to get me someplace that can fix it permanently and properly with a patch on the inside of the tire!
Andy
Correct. I don't have a place for a jack in my car, so most likely I won't be able to use the plug, but I like having it. I have the fix-a-flat if I'm in a bad jam, say side of the interstate at 2am on a road trip to visit family.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

The above are all reasons I stay with runflats .I'm old ane deaf so the noise isn't all that bad
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

As I have mentioned before in other threads, I also have changed out my runcraps for regular tires. But, like shakedown, I carry a compressor, fix-a-flat, and a plug kit. I actually use the Conti Kit sold by Tire Rack. It is a compressor that has a fix-a-flat solution that is attached and can be used or not used with the compressor. This fix-a-flat solution is supposed to be compatible with the tire pressure sensors. I have not had to use it yet, so I cannot tell you how good the fix-a-flat solution works.

I have had to use the plug kit on the road before, fortunately not for my car, and have had pretty good success in helping get a fellow Vette owner out of a difficult situation.

So far, I have not regretted my choice to get rid of the runcraps!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

I replaced the r/f with regular tires on both of our vettes awhile back and so far so good, however, I do have the fix-a-flat and a mini compressor in both cars. Hopefully I will not have to use them.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote