• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C6 Differental whine

LEJ ZO6

LEJ ZO6
My wife's 2007 C6 convertible is starting to get a whine at about 60 mph. I'm about convinced it is coming from the differential. The diff. fluid is at the proper level.

I'd like to take the car to an expert and have them diagnose the problem and recommend a fix. The car is out of warranty and I'd prefer not to take it to a Chevrolet dealer. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone that is good at or specializes in Corvette differentials?

We live in Wesley Chapel so I'd prefer someone on the north end of Tampa. I realize this may be asking too much so I'm open to going somewhere else within a reasonable distance.

Thanks !

Just a thought, could it possibly be the tires? I know that the original GY run flats on my '01 convertible developed a nasty whine about 40 mph that I initially thought was the differential. I replaced those GY runcraps with GY GS D3s which are not run flats and have great traction in both dry and wet. Now that I have about 16k miles on the D3s, they have started to whine too. I think I am going to look at another manufacturer other than GY for the next set of tires.

I hope this helps and good luck with your issue.

Rich

The car has 42,000 miles on it so we trashed the run flats and put on Toyo Proxes. They were put on at 23,000. I'm pretty sure this whine isn't the tires.

I guess I'll have to run it down to Anti-Venom and have them look at it.

Thanks

Lloyd,
I have taken mine over to Willow Bend Automotive over on 54 by Collier Parkway. They are a family owned business so they have treated me well. Also check to make sure it isn't the hub bearings. I had a Lincoln once before as a company provided vehile. Developed a whine at about 40 MPH and got louder as the speed increased and the rear hub bearing were the problem.

Lloyd,
I have taken mine over to Willow Bend Automotive over on 54 by Collier Parkway. They are a family owned business so they have treated me well. Also check to make sure it isn't the hub bearings. I had a Lincoln once before as a company provided vehile. Developed a whine at about 40 MPH and got louder as the speed increased and the rear hub bearing were the problem.

That's a little closer than Anti-Venom, maybe I should check them out.

Thanks !

There's also Jeremy Formatto from Fasterprom that can help you.
He's located on Lutz Lake Fern Rd and Dale Mabry, he's shop is in the back of his house. Just google Fasterprom to get his number.

There's also Jeremy Formatto from Fasterprom that can help you.
He's located on Lutz Lake Fern Rd and Dale Mabry, he's shop is in the back of his house. Just google Fasterprom to get his number.

Thanks,

I stopped by Willow Bend Automotive today with the car. Bob & Cindy were very helpful. Bob drove the car and confirmed that it was the differential that was making the whine.

He said it would be best to take it to someone that specializes in Corvettes. He didn't have the expertise or the special tools that may be required to fix it.

When I asked him how much I owed for the disgniosis he said nothing, it comes with the service.

Now that's the kind of people I like to deal with.

Thanks Bob & Cindy and thanks to Mickey for sending me there.

I guess the next stop will be Fasterprom. Unless someone on the Forum wants to buy a really really nice clean 2007 Corvette convertible that needs some rear end work. I'm sure my wife would like a new one before she retires.

Back