• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C5 Oil Life Remaining Question

Yeah, but it's just a calculation done and might not have a thing to do with the real remaining quality of the oil. Even with the synthetics, I still like to change my oil at the 3,000 mile mark or every several months, whichever comes first.

I should have started my post by saying I don't have 10 years old oil :ack2: The '03 I recently bought had 4.5k miles on the clock when I first saw it for sale (now around 5.8k) and the previous owner said he changed the oil once a year since he owned it from 2004 but had no service records. I don't doubt his word as the condition of the car speaks volumes about the way he cared for it. I was more interested in the accuracy of the oil life remaining feature of the C5. :thumbsup:

You have to manually reset that counter. If you don't, it doesn't mean a hill of beans. If the PO was changing the oil by the number of miles, or once a year, then maybe he didn't reset the oil life monitor. I, personally, would discount that reading, reset the monitor the next time you change the oil and check it from there. For what it's worth, I change my oil at the 3000 - 3500 mile range, and the monitor is never below 50% when it gets done!
Andy :wavey:

.... For what it's worth, I change my oil at the 3000 - 3500 mile range, and the monitor is never below 50% when it gets done!
Andy :wavey:

I do the same with our DDs but I rarely use my '66 and will probably use the '03 about the same (1k mpy give or take). If I changed the oil at those intervals I would have to wait 3 or 4 years. It makes me uneasy having oil older than a year regardless of mileage, so I think I'll compromise with a once a year oil change. Thanks.

Everyone has different thoughts and approach .I use Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filters and I change my oil at least once a year and at approximately 50-60 % used .I prefer to also change my oil in the fall just to be ready for a 2000 mile ride South or Southwest .

I change my oil once a year or when the oil monitor says oil life is 2-5%remaining.:thumbsup:

I do mostly long distance driving and sometimes thats 10-13,000 miles!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just did my 1st scheduled tune up at 101,230 miles,Yep spark plugs and wires really will last 100,000 miles in a electronically controlled engine with No ill effects! :D

Back