• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C2 DIY touch up paint or do by pro?

Cor66Vette

A ding here and a road chip there is making me think about touching up my 20 year old paint. I know the paint code (not factory) and I'm able to locate the touch-up pen, and bottle w/brush, but one ding in particular is conspicuous -on the top edge of the fender- and my limited experience with touching up paint leaves me with uncertainty that this "fix" will be adequate- but I'm not 100% sure. I wouldn't think twice about diy for the road chips under the rear bumpers because they're barely noticeable as it is, but this one on the fender, well- that's another story. There are others less noticeable but diy would be ok there also.

What are your experiences with the touch-up pens or brush kits?

And while I'm at it, who can recommend a paint guy in the Palm Coast/St. Augustine area just in case I go that route. Thanks a lot.

There are a number of paint rock chip repair kits available (Dr. ColorChip, Langka, etc.), and browsing the reviews will get you some people who swear by them, and others who swear at them. I have bought some of the stuff for my blue C5Z to try to get some experience myself working with repairing that sort of stuff, but haven't tackled it yet with all the other higher priority issues that keep coming up.

And to be honest, because of the cracked paint on the hood I'm going to have to get the car repainted anyway. So this will be really just to have experience under my belt when I want to tackle a rock chip on one of the other cars that I'm hoping won't be needing repainting any time soon.

Honestly, I don't think you can expect a *perfect* repair. Meaning something that would pass with a super critical eye at a close inspection. But I think they will be able to pass a "6 feet away" viewing. Particularly if you aren't dealing with one of the metallic paints. I'm thinking that most of my rock chips are likely just in the clear coat, so I may be able to just touch up with clear paint and then do some wet sanding to smooth it out. But heck, I've never done this before, so this is just going to be an experiment and some OJT for me.

Sorry, not much help, I'm sure.... :shrug01:

That's good to know.

I bought a kit for the blue C5Z but just haven't played with it yet. I'm going to have to get the car painted anyway, since my hood now has the paint cracked right smack dab in the center, but I figure I can practice on the car for when I want to tackle dings on the other cars and after the blue car gets repainted. If it wasn't for that cracked paint, I was figuring that over time I could get all the rock chips fixed up, but that damage when the car was away from home threw a monkey wrench in my plans.

Back