• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

A unique view - Autocross

shakedown067

Sinister C4
Since I recently aquired a gopro AND did some rear suspension mods, I wanted to see how the rearend and tires responded during an autocross. Enjoy!

Heck, that's pretty neat. I may have to get me one of those camcorders. I can see where it would be pretty handy to use to help track down intermittent suspension problems by actually WATCHING what is going on under there.

It's super easy to use and they even have a nice app for smartphones so you can preview the image (as it doesn't have a view finder at all), along with start/stop and all the settings it can handle.

This is why I originally purchased the camera...for work.

Yeah I already want a second one! Heck, till you are ready to buy one, why not try to just win one. You can enter once a day!
Win everything GoPro makes.

Do they have some manner of replacing the camera lens? Or is there some sort of protection in place in front of it? When I watched your video, the first thing that came to mind was having the camera lens impacted by stones thrown up against it while driving.

Do they have some manner of replacing the camera lens? Or is there some sort of protection in place in front of it? When I watched your video, the first thing that came to mind was having the camera lens impacted by stones thrown up against it while driving.

If its the one I am thinking of it has a protective outer shell, much like a divers camera where the shell makes it water proof. The outer shell could be replaced easily. If you wanted a slight bit more protection you may be able to put a thin layer of plastic covering on the outer shell (like we put on the screens of the smart phones nowadays to protect them from scratches).

It's in a high impact, waterproof case. If you watch Top Gear or other car shows, you'll see them on nearly everything. Full HD and the Black edition even does low light and 1080 with 60 frames per second (normal is 30fps). I was cheap and just got the entry level silver edition at $199, plus some of the attachments (about $60 online), and a 32gb micro sd-card (about $60).

The little rectangle on the top right is the camera about 2.5"x1"x2", to it's left is the camera in the case. I think they are suppose to take an impact at over 200mph. The suction cup mount I think is rated for 150mph+.
01_h3_black_included.jpg

I used a flat adhesive mount for under the car.

Ah, that's not too bad. I checked on the price of a replacement housing and it's only about as much as a premium screw on filter. I may look into getting one of these........ :D

Actually I would have liked something like this the last time I went snorkeling on Manasota Key. There were all kinds of fish and the water was crystal clear. But I wonder how well the view finder would work with a snorkeling mask on my face?

I guess I'll have to read up on this.

I know guys that have had these for years on their race cars and haven't needed to replace a housing.

How about surviving a 130mph roll over.

Well, been reading up on that Hero3 Black Edition and apparently a lot of people are having problems with it. Also some rumors going around that GoPro is using lawyers to go after people and sites putting up bad reviews about the product rather than just spending the money to fix the problems.

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHX-3...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/gopro-doesn-t-like-their/ODUyNjU2ODc_A

I think I'll hold off on considering this for a bit.

I just got the white version ($199) and haven't had any issues at all. Even put the head strap on my 2year old this past weekend while we were in the pool! Battery life really sucks for timelapse, but it's been working great for video. I did get a spare battery for $20 just in case. The photo quality isn't great, but that's what I have a DSLR for.

Out of the 15 or so I know with a gopro, none have had any issues (silver, white and older versions) and absolutely love the product.

Watch carefully at the next automotive show you watch. You'll catch gopro's stuck to everything. TopGear, Fast N Loud, you name it, all the car action is done with a GoPro...and probably the Black edition. Nothing is infallible, but I question some of those negative reviews.

Yeah, I would be interested in the black version, but evidently it has some infant mortality issues. I think I'll just wait it out to let them work out the bugs before I buy one, though. Wouldn't have been the first time that cutting edge technology left me bleeding afterwards, but hopefully I've learned to be cautious about such things.

As for reviews, yeah, you do have to take them with a grain of salt. But on the other hand, often times where there is smoke, there is fire.

Yeah for that kind of $$$, I'd make sure on what I was buying too. I'd ask around for anyone that has the black edition and see how they like it. Get a few actual user testimonies.

Just some info I quickly found that could be of interest (not trying to sell you on the camera, just information sharing)

The problem certainly have to do with the card you record to.
So - do the firmware upgrade, format the card from the Gopro - that is the minimum.

Then find out with your card which resolution fps etc. it works with. I have tried different cards and there certainly is a difference. May be some cards marked as class 10 are not that good.

Gopro have sold a lot of those cameras and we are only a tiny group with problems.

When you record, the amount of data processed depend of, resolution, fps but also what happens in the sceene you record as the compression program will depend of that. If the data can ́t be stored to the card fast enogh - what can the camera then do else than stop recording ? !!

Buy or borrow a first class - at least class 10 card. At the moment I use a Sandisk Ultra 32Gb Micro SD HC I, there is a 1 placed in a U as well. This card was bought from Amazon. This card take all the resolutions and fps from 4k and record for about 1,5 hour before the battery are empty.

The other cards I have tried are from useless to the 1080 25fps as the highest problem free.

We can ́t expect a camera with those features to work flawless with a crappy cheap memory card.

If Gopro also have a firmware problem I don ́t know but the card problem is logic.

All our camaras come from the same production line, the only thing making a difference is the card we put into them so....

I guess that's why the Black editions are having issues...not all memory cards are created equal and the silver/white editions aren't saving as much data as the Black edition can.

Yeah, well when I get one, I'll probably get it from Amazon. They have an excellent return policy. Kept me from taking a real knock on the chin from a poorly designed (and expensive) video card a little while back. The manufacturer never did admit to a problem, but they did take the card off of the market.

So I will just hang tight for a bit. It won't kill me to wait till I'm comfortable with the purchase.

Back