• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Questions for C3 enthusiasts/owners, interested in buying one

tumamilhem

Though the C2 is my favorite, I can't afford one. So I am looking for my second favorite, the C3. I've always been a vintage Porsche guy, but I like most cars vintage. I saw a very nice 1979 C3 at a car show today. All original, 31K miles, great interior (red), original paint (white), base L48 engine. Price was $12.5K, though would sell for $11.5K cash. Although I've seen like cars for $8.5K and earlier years of the C3. So I thought I would turn to the enthusiasts for advice.

What are your favorite years for the C3? And which engines? I know they lost hp in later years, but with the new exhaust in 1979 that was only available on the L82 was now available on the base as well, increasing to 195 hp. Critics preferred the base 350 engine as it was almost as fast as the larger L82, but more comfortable to drive. So for the C3, I am wondering which year model you liked best - and why, and which engine, and why. And what do you consider a good price for one in good condition.

Oh, the only thing on this one is the AC doesn't work, which I presume could potentially be very expensive to fix.

IMO, $11.5k is in the ball park for that car if it's a 4-sp, but if it's an auto ,,, IDK :shrug01:

Depending on what you want, the chrome bumper C3s are the more costly (and collectible) of the C3 generation. I wanted my C3 to be inexpensive, but to me, it had to still be a "Stingray".

I recently (March) picked up a '75, L-48/auto, also white, but with tan interior, approx 80k miles, from an older guy who owned it since 1980. Very clean, nice and straight, professionally maintained (he admitted to not knowing anything about cars) some restored parts, but mostly original. Runs good, and also A/C (and clock) did not work. I didn't care much about the A/C because this was never intended to be a DD. I got years and years of receipts, a nice car cover, and T-top bags. Anyway- I paid $7k.

Here's a pic or 2 ,,,

90772837-4d49-480d-9b9b-c56bed53f642.jpg

0062.jpg

I'm pretty sure I got a good deal. I really wanted a 4 speed but didn't want to go the extra bucks for one. I have a '66 and an '03 that I don't use much and this '75 was bought with the intention of introducing Corvettes to my son who recently got his driver's license, and for me to tool around town.

Hope my comments helped. Good luck.

Critics preferred the base 350 engine as it was almost as fast as the larger L82,

I am wondering which year model you liked best - and why, and which engine, and why.

Oh, the only thing on this one is the AC doesn't work, which I presume could potentially be very expensive to fix.

The L82 was not larger.

The 79 and 80 models had the most hp, 225 and 230 respectively. I don't like or dislike one model year over another. They were all rather anemic after 1972. I drive my cars so I would have no problem with a high hp crate engine swapped in place of what came with it, or hot rodding what it has under the hood now. They just don't really have the collectability so unless it was a car with under 15K miles I don't think you would affect the value by modding it.

You should be able to replace most of the A/C system for $1000.00 or less providing you aren't trying to restore it with OEM parts.

Previously owned a 72..

My first Vette was a 72 BB with a 4 speed tranny.. Very neat chrome bumper car and she was numbers matching too. Wife and I showed it frequently but after a while of very stout suspension, 454 CU IN and a lot of engine sound even with an original style exhaust system we opted for a C5Z for the sheer comfort.

Our C3 affectionately known as "Goldie" was hot (even though we replaced the entire Original system with a Sanden driven unit, new drier and all to include flushing).

You could not keep the interior cool because the big ole 454 keep things well heated. Now "Goldie " did have a mild cam, roller rockers and lifters and such" along with T tops but for me as even a weekend toy it turned out to be less then I at 62 yoa wanted to drive. Thus the acquisition of my C5Z.

Then when it reached a point where I could not talk to my wife and be heard I was done.

All that said. My personal opinion is that a small block might be a preferred engine just based on my belief that the interior might remain comfy. I believe the suspension would be a bit less harsh and there fore more divinable for longer jaunts

Just my .02

Ken

Back