• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

what type of gas do you use?

98 softtail said:
How I long for the old days of Sunoco 260...was that 98 octane?

Heck, I don't remember. I'm not even sure they used the same sort of rating system back then. For some reason the number "104" sticks in my mind....

98 softtail said:
You might be right, it has been so long since we had more than 3 choices I have forgotten what the old "260" was.

LOL!! Yeah, remember that dial on the Sunoco pumps? I think you had something like a dozen selections to choose from........

My GTO was using about a tank of gasoline PER DAY just driving back and forth to work. BIG valves on the reworked heads, monster Holley carb, Isky cam, and a REALLY stiff rear end ratio conspired to eat my wallet. Of course, back then, a full tank of gasoline only cost around $7.50!! :lmao:

And that always bothered me... It all came from the same tank, so how did we get the old 190 from the 260 ??? :confused: :shrug01:

As far as I know, there were separate tanks for each grade of gasoline. I used to work at my dad's Esso station and saw the trucks come in to fill up the underground tanks. Of course, those guys are people too, and they make mistakes every now and again. And there have been cases of some unscrupulous gas stations owners who would PURPOSELY put the low grade gasoline in the hi-test tanks.

No way...

Rich Z said:
And there have been cases of some unscrupulous gas stations owners who would PURPOSELY put the low grade gasoline in the hi-test tanks.

Say it aint so.:rolleyes:

Ever watched the learning channel?

They have a segment that shows how gas is pushed through the pipe lines. all brands, all grades just one "pushed" behind the other. Their is NO pigs separating one grade from the other so (you better believe) some mixing occurs.

It's interesting and makes ya wonder what you're really paying for sometimes.

Ken

:rolleyes:

Rich Z said:
Heck, I don't remember. I'm not even sure they used the same sort of rating system back then. For some reason the number "104" sticks in my mind....

Sunoco 260 was 102 octane. In fact they are now making a Sunoco 260 GT100 fuel which is 100 octane. I have posted the link so that you can check to see if there is a station in your area offering 260 GT 100.

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consumer/RaceFuels/260GT100Locations/

Hope this helps someone!

Rich

OK,OK, OK I can see it now....

SteveK said:
Make my own. I refine old cooking oil from the restaurant that I sell to. Along with some othe bio-degradable stuff. End result is about 18 cents a gallon and I get over 20 mpg with it.

Runs ah little greasy and smells like a Wendy's hamburger and slides to a stop. Now that's a picture.

Ken

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

There is a speedway station down here in Sarasota that sells 108 and 112 octane fuel. On the weekends they have a bunch of people waiting in line. They only sell it to you if you have a gas can...you can't just pull up and pump it into your car.

als2052 said:
BP or Mobil, never Citgo

I agree!!! I buy from however has the cheapest gas except Citgo. I don't buy gas from that c0cksu(ker dictator Hugo Chavez!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

It's a GAS!!!

I have found that most major brands of fuel are good. I personally use Mobil but I do swap it up with other brands so that I can take advantage of the different additives they use. I have had bad luck with Shell some years ago so I avoid that brand at all costs. Mobil, Exxon, Amoco BP, Sunoco, Chevron....all tested good..perhaps other names brands are as good but these are what we use and we haven't had a fuel issue with our cars or our customers cars in the past ten years.....

Corvette Concepts said:
I have found that most major brands of fuel are good. I personally use Mobil but I do swap it up with other brands so that I can take advantage of the different additives they use. I have had bad luck with Shell some years ago so I avoid that brand at all costs. Mobil, Exxon, Amoco BP, Sunoco, Chevron....all tested good..perhaps other names brands are as good but these are what we use and we haven't had a fuel issue with our cars or our customers cars in the past ten years.....
Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that because I had a dear friend who passed away three years ago that owned a gas station. He told me it's all the same crap except Shell.

He told me the same Esso truck that would deliver gas to him, would deliver gas to every other gas station down the same street. I remember him telling me that Shell has that clear gas, while everyone elses looks like, well, gas.

Back