• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Rain today

Connie and I got back from the gun show in Tallahassee about 15 minutes before the skies opened up. Actually got a bunch of rain on the way back, so I guess the storm followed us. Got 1.18" of rain in about 45 minutes.

I hear thunder off to the west of us now, and the skies are pretty dark over there.

We only got a few sprinkles here today. With all the thunder going on, I thought for certain we were going to get something more substantial. But just enough to raise the humidity even higher when the sun would pop out again.

We've been just getting thunder laced sprinkles lately. I think we got 0.06" yesterday, and although we did get some rain today, it didn't even register on the rain gauge.

I tried to pop a squirrel yesterday, but when I walked outside, both my glasses and my rifle scope immediately fogged over from the humidity. I tried anyway, but not sure I did much more than make some noise.

Another day today of lots of thunder all around us, but only a brief sprinkle not even registering on the rain gauge. Pushed the humidity back up to "tilt" level, however. It was down to a very parched feeling 90% earlier today before the light shower struck with a vengeance. :dead:

I think most of the rain will pass south of us. Unless it passes north of us. Or maybe passes east of us. Or it could pass west of us. Or more likely just dissipates before getting here from any direction and then reforming on the other side. :rolleyes:

So today we had a pretty impressive storm front come at us from the north and west. Lots of thunder. But of course, most of the rain passed around us, and we just got a tenth of an inch of rain out of it.

I don't know what it is about this specific area that causes rain storms to act like they do. But I can understand why farmers from yesteryear didn't do well here. Even with the light showers and all we have had every day, I probably still should be watering the citrus trees.

The property we have used to be farm land many years ago. A guy told us that the stream that runs through the north end of our property used to be crystal clear water when it was running through nothing but farmland. Of course, when the farms were abandoned, the forest reclaimed the land, and now the water is colored darkly from all the tannin the roots release into the water.

So today we had a pretty impressive storm front come at us from the north and west. Lots of thunder. But of course, most of the rain passed around us, and we just got a tenth of an inch of rain out of it.

I don't know what it is about this specific area that causes rain storms to act like they do. But I can understand why farmers from yesteryear didn't do well here. Even with the light showers and all we have had every day, I probably still should be watering the citrus trees.

The property we have used to be farm land many years ago. A guy told us that the stream that runs through the north end of our property used to be crystal clear water when it was running through nothing but farmland. Of course, when the farms were abandoned, the forest reclaimed the land, and now the water is colored darkly from all the tannin the roots release into the water.

That rain you had is headed toward me about 90 miles out in the gulf to my north. So much for the 70% they called for today as my area has not seen any rain today.

In the past, I used to think that the weather forecasts were bad. Even VERY bad. I don't know how they did it, but they have gotten even worse. Even with them changing the forecast sometimes every hour or less, they STILL get it wrong. When they have a forecast of 100% chance of rain, that doesn't leave much wiggle room, and yet it is usually wrong anyway. You certainly cannot make plans even 24 hours out if those plans depend on the weather forecast being correct.

I must be insane for even looking at a 10 day forecast. What am I still expecting by doing so?

I would hate to have a weather forecasters job and have my face known in public. Those people have to be subjected to an incredible amount of ridicule where ever they go. But I guess they get paid enough to put up with it.

In the past, I used to think that the weather forecasts were bad. Even VERY bad. I don't know how they did it, but they have gotten even worse. Even with them changing the forecast sometimes every hour or less, they STILL get it wrong. When they have a forecast of 100% chance of rain, that doesn't leave much wiggle room, and yet it is usually wrong anyway. You certainly cannot make plans even 24 hours out if those plans depend on the weather forecast being correct.

I must be insane for even looking at a 10 day forecast. What am I still expecting by doing so?

I would hate to have a weather forecasters job and have my face known in public. Those people have to be subjected to an incredible amount of ridicule where ever they go. But I guess they get paid enough to put up with it.

Most weather people are Q card readers and go by models and don't use their head.

Most weather people are Q card readers and go by models and don't use their head.

Yeah, I hear that. And from what I have seen, they don't even look outside or check the weather radar. I think it might be because the weather itself has become just so unpredictable on local levels. So I am honestly not sure what is worse, relying on local weather forecasts and take them at their word, or just not even bother looking at the forecasts and just accept whatever happens when you make your plans.

Man, I would really hate being in charge of scheduling an outside car show. I've gone to a couple that got rained out, and quite honestly, I will never knowingly do that again. I can't think of many things that are more boring.

Had a strong storm with lots of lightning come down from the north late last night. Looked like we were going to get clobbered as it widened out to the west. Then suddenly right before it got here, it sort of squeezed around to the east of us with us barely getting a drizzle.

Then today a couple of lines of storms came in from the north west, headed directly for us. The first line wrapped around us to the north, and then the second line wrapped around us to the south. I saw a few rain drops on the leaves when I went outside, but that was it. Those storm fronts went on through and pounded Perry and looks like Gainesville is getting clobbered too.

I swear someone around here must have some sort of rain repellent machine or something. It's actually uncanny how it does that most of the time. Wish I could easily capture videos of it. It's kind of funny in a gallows humor sense.

Probably need to water the citrus this week. The rain sure isn't helping any.

We only got about a quarter inch of rain on Tuesday. Kind of a surprise, since nothing really looked like rain heading this way on the weather radar.

I had actually just finished up cutting some areas with the extended hedge trimmer, so the rain actually felt good on the walk back to the house.

Yeah, 1.07" of rain in the past 24 hours, and looks like a lot more coming up from the Gulf.

And here I was thinking that I should take the C5Z out for a ride now and again. So much for that idea.

LOTS of rain! Measuring 2.70" within the past 24 hours. Still more on the way.

Apparently we are under a flash flood watch thru Thursday.

Back