• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C5 Alternator problems

I don't recall my A/C light ever flickering but if the compressor is cycling as often as you say I would have to think that is abnormal.

Yeah, I agree. So I'll see what a shot of freon does.

After the car was in the two shops for so long, the AC compressor apparently went bad and Aaron Scott had a guy replace it in my car. So that was how long ago? 8 years? Can that be right? Damn.....

Hooked up the manifold to the AC system today and checked pressures and air temps inside the car. The compressor was clicking on and off when I cranked up the engine. I purged the lines and then started feeding a little bit of refrigerant at a time into the system as I monitored things. Pressures looked pretty good and the air temp was in the high 40s, but honestly, I didn't add very much refrigerant at all. The can still felt like most of the coolant was still in it based on weight. But I certainly didn't want to overfill it.

After the engine cooled down for several hours, I went back out into the garage and started the car up, and didn't get any of the light cycling that I would often get on the AC button. I'll try again tomorrow after the engine has cooled down overnight.

Alternator seems to be working just fine and getting a solid 14 volts to the battery at idle. :ok_01:

Might not get to do a test drive until the weekend, though.

Took the car out for a test drive today. The AC light flickered briefly when I started up the car, but seemed to stabilize quicker than before. Might need a bit more refrigerant, but that can wait for another day. The air blowing out of the vents is certainly cold enough feeling.

Car ran like a champ. Not even a hint of drivetrain noise at all. Alternator was pumping out 14 volts, but a couple of times sitting at idle I did see it drop down to 13.5 volts. Good enough, I guess.

Back