• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

New feature - Reputation points

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
I decided to add this feature to this site after some discussions with some people recently. The "reputation" points are designed as a method whereby members can give "attaboys" to other members concerning their posts here. Something that someone posts that is especially helpful, interesting, fun, or just a real worthwhile read can be rewarded by YOU giving them reputation points for their post.

The way that you do this is via a graphic link that is under their profile info to the left of every post they make. The graphic looks like a weight balance, as shown here:

postbit_rep.jpg

Please note that you can ONLY leave positive rep points. Although the program does have the capability to allow users to issue negative points, I have decided to not implement this. I prefer to take the stance such that if you can't say something nice about someone's posts, don't say anything at all, at least in reference to the reputation point system. From the headaches this particular feature has given me on other sites, I believe this is best.

Now there are various options presented to me in setting up this system, but rather than try to explain them in detail, I'll just copy the page I have to look at when setting things up so you can figure it out on your own:

reputation_062207.jpg

As you can see, the "power" (in other words, how many points you can GIVE someone else), is directly influenced by several factors.

So there are actually TWO levels to this system. One is the number of reputation points you have yourself, and the other is the POWER that you have in how many points you can give someone else.

Bear in mind that these settings are not cast in stone, and can be changed at any time if it appears to be warranted. The situation 5 years from now could be completely different from the way it is now, and modifications may be necessary.

Have fun!

Back