• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

C4 Hydraulic hood support upgrade

85vette

I'm trying to upgrade my 85 hood support with a hydraulic one. The top portion is a direct bolt on to the hood. Does anyone have pictures of how the bottom mounts to the frame (I guess) by the radiator? Unsure what year support I have, but it mounts on the drivers side. The original (scissors type)mounted on the pass. side. I had a mechanical support from an 86 on the drivers side, which is what I'm replacing, but the bottom bracket is different.

Does anyone have pictures of a 1988-1996 lower hood support bracket that is attached to the car? I just need an idea of how and where it attaches so I can modify what I have.

I bought a gas charged strut to replace my hydraulic. It was the best move I ever made. Hood comes up with 2 fingers. Here's a shot, not very close up of the bottom of the gas strut which was a direct bolt-on for my 87.

hoodstrut001.jpg

Thanks for the pic! Yours appears to have the 86-87 style lower bracket. The one I have has the late model 88-96 lower bracket. I need to make a bracket, or get a 86-87 like yours. I was hoping there was a way to make this one work, but It's not going well. No bolt holes are lining up. I see a couple of aftermarket sources advertising theirs for $90.00 (just for the brackets) Ouch! I can do better than that.:ack2:

Well, if it makes you feel better, mine costs $150 for the gas charged strut and brackets (which I didn't use) but don't ask, it was awhile back and I don't have the spare brackets anymore.

2Vettes said:
Crewzin, had to compliment you on the clean engine bay :thumbsup:

Thanks. Retired. Lots of spare time to keep all the cars clean.

Vette
BigTopFleaMarket003.jpg

PT Cruiser
NewIntake005.jpg

Family KIA
Rondonewpics006.jpg

Back