• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

B&M Shifter installed yesterday

WOW, what an improvement. Yeah, I know, it takes a little muscle to use it but so what. After all, it is a "muscle car"

I bought my 2004 Z06 two months ago. When I test drove it I loved it.

Only 10,000 miles and the car was like new. I was so thrilled I failed to notice how poor the stock shifter was. I was just overwhelmed with the entire car.

After only a week I knew there was a new shifter in my future.

LISTEN>>>>> unless you are a poser or a girly man, do this mod!:thumbsup:

I read somewhere that a guy snapped the head on a bolt while installing his Hurst shifter. Hmmm, When I took out the factory bolts they were on there tight. I never gave a second thought about snugging them down using a three inch ratchet handle. Well I stripped the threads in one hole. :NoNo:

The bolts go into aluminum, don't tighten them more than 8 ft/lbs, just over finger tight.

Yep, I used JB Weld to fix it. That sucker is never coming out!

It does takes more effort to shift, reverse is a bit tough to get to but not a big deal, hell, just use both hands if you are a 98 lb weakling.:dancer01:

The shifts are crisp and precise. I ground gears three times with the old shifter by being sloppy. This wont happen with the B&M.

Eric

I have to agree with you. The old shifter was alot easier but the B&M is more of what a Corvette needs. I had the stock one in a few months before I installed my B&M in my Z06 too. I moved a friends Z06 in a parking lot recently and remembered the big difference in feel and was glad all over again that I made the mod change to the short throw shifter.

I had the Hurst shifter for a while, but wrestling that sucker into fifth and sixth, much less into reverse, was taking the fun out of driving. So I went with a MTI shifter, and this one is REALLY NICE. Wish they would send me my $50 core charge one of these days for when I returned the factory shifter, but all in all the shifter itself is just what I wanted.

I took the Z06, with the new shifter, for a ride today.

Now the good part. Get a load of this........

When I put it into reverse to back out of the garage, I didn't even notice the extra effort.

BTW.... I put some acoustic foam around the shifter. No noise problem. With the radio on, I can't even hear it.

I was a bit concerned about using JB Weld on the stripped hole but no longer.

"Just do it"!

Eric

Back