• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Pony cars coming to busch series?

naples

I was reading this today on Jayski's, what a great idea to race Camaro's Challengers, Mustangs, and a to be determined toyota product. Hopefully they would be stock, and V8's. I think it would make for some great racing. Just think stock cars based on stock cars! Here is the article;

Pony Cars Coming To Series: NASCAR hopes to inject new life into its Busch Series by changing the types of cars raced, beginning as early as 2009, according to multiple sources familiar with the project. If plans go according to schedule, the next-generation Busch Series cars will be Chevy Camaros, Dodge Challengers, Ford Mustangs and an as-yet-to-be named Toyota model, sources said. Ford overhauled the Mustang as a 1960s-retro model in 2005, to positive critical and commercial results. Chevrolet and Dodge will release similarly retro-themed Camaros and Challengers, respectively, by the 2009 model year. The Mustang, Camaro and Challenger all are two-door coupes with rear-wheel drive and available V-8 engines, a hugely popular combination in the halcyon days of 1960s muscle cars. A switch to these cars - plus whichever model Toyota chooses to campaign - would make a huge amount of sense, as it would help the Busch Series have its own distinct identity apart from Nextel Cup and help remove the stigma of the series as "Cup Lite," as some call it now. Sources familiar with the project said NASCAR has discussed the idea of switching cars with the manufacturers and has received a positive reception for the idea.(SPEEDtv.com)(9-15-2007)

Pony Car race

Could be good IF there's no Toyota. I try my best to leave foreign stuff alone.
I don't watch NASCAR now because of the foreign stuff.

LAAllison said:
Could be good IF there's no Toyota. I try my best to leave foreign stuff alone.
I don't watch NASCAR now because of the foreign stuff.

OK....
Chevy - Built in Canada
Ford - Built in Mexico
Dodge - Built in Canada
Toyota - Built in USA

You're right, until Ford, Chevy & Dodge bring those jobs back to the US, I wouldn't watch it either. :shrug01:

I'M ALL FOR IT IF THEY ARE STOCK CARS. Most people today don't even know what stock car racing was. Notice I said WAS!! This spectacle called NASCAR we have today is not even close to stock car racing!

naples said:
I was reading this today on Jayski's, what a great idea to race Camaro's Challengers, Mustangs, and a to be determined toyota product. Hopefully they would be stock, and V8's. I think it would make for some great racing. Just think stock cars based on stock cars! Here is the article;

Pony Cars Coming To Series: NASCAR hopes to inject new life into its Busch Series by changing the types of cars raced, beginning as early as 2009, according to multiple sources familiar with the project. If plans go according to schedule, the next-generation Busch Series cars will be Chevy Camaros, Dodge Challengers, Ford Mustangs and an as-yet-to-be named Toyota model, sources said. Ford overhauled the Mustang as a 1960s-retro model in 2005, to positive critical and commercial results. Chevrolet and Dodge will release similarly retro-themed Camaros and Challengers, respectively, by the 2009 model year. The Mustang, Camaro and Challenger all are two-door coupes with rear-wheel drive and available V-8 engines, a hugely popular combination in the halcyon days of 1960s muscle cars. A switch to these cars - plus whichever model Toyota chooses to campaign - would make a huge amount of sense, as it would help the Busch Series have its own distinct identity apart from Nextel Cup and help remove the stigma of the series as "Cup Lite," as some call it now. Sources familiar with the project said NASCAR has discussed the idea of switching cars with the manufacturers and has received a positive reception for the idea.(SPEEDtv.com)(9-15-2007)

Toyota Celica maybe?
I think this sounds like a lot of fun.

Bracket Monster said:
Toyota doesnt make the celica anymore, but in 2009 they will have the new Supra, so they would probably use that.

well yeah...I was trying to think of a somewhat classic car for Toyota.

lol yea thats true, the mustang, camaro, and challenger are all the retro style, toyota doesnt have anything like that, if they use the supra, the new supra is really futuristic looking, will stick out pretty bad in the races, but hey its an import what can u expect, all ricers stick out in the crowd.

SteveK said:
OK....
Chevy - Built in Canada
Ford - Built in Mexico
Dodge - Built in Canada
Toyota - Built in USA

You're right, until Ford, Chevy & Dodge bring those jobs back to the US, I wouldn't watch it either. :shrug01:

Jeeze, good point Steve. What's American and whats not?

Kap142 said:
Jeeze, good point Steve. What's American and whats not?
A relative of mine works at a Chevrolet plant outside of Youngstown Ohio. There are GM and Ford plants throughout the country. At least when you buy a Ford or Chevy product the money is going to a company based in the USA. Buy a Toyota and the money goes overseas.

Follow the money

Use any excuse you want to buy/support non American products but know that the money is not controlled by Americans with American interests. Many times your dollars are used directly against us--see Citgo or any French product. I won't support forgein products and I know some things you don't have much of a choice but I work hard to be the best American I can.

I have a 1954 NASCAR guide at the house and it showed what had won each race of the previous season. Other than Hudson, Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, etc, would you believe that a couple of wins were Mercedes and Jaguar? So; like it or not, Foreign makes are a part of the history. Japanese cars just were not a part of NASCAR, probably because they didn't have cars yet. NASCAR needs to get up to speed anyway. Carburetors???? Manufacturers haven't used them since '87-88. 20 years since carbs and Stock car racing uses them? may as well be still racing '87 Monte Carlos. Not just down on NASCAR though, Pro Stock drag racing too. Anything with Stock in the title needs to be a little closer. What needs to be stock any more? the roof panel?

I agree. We have gotten far away from stock. How do we have our voices heard by NASCAR? With the car manufacturers producing higher performance cars, it would seem they would take note. I'm all for safety, but the COT is looking very generic. If you painted them all the same color, you couldn't tell a Ford from a Chevy from a Dodge or Toyota.

Bracket Monster said:
lol yea thats true, the mustang, camaro, and challenger are all the retro style, toyota doesnt have anything like that, if they use the supra, the new supra is really futuristic looking, will stick out pretty bad in the races, but hey its an import what can u expect, all ricers stick out in the crowd.

are you really 16 like it says in your profile?
Just curious because my brother in law had a Supra in like 79 or 80. That seems like it would be a bit retro to me. Granted I was in about first grade but it was a really cool car.

yea im really 16. i have friends with early model Supras too, i was saying it because the "reto" mustangs, camaros, and challengers, are 2009 models but looks like the 70s era cars, the Supra, yea they have them in the early 80s or 70s maybe, not sure, but the 2009 supra, which is the year the mustang, camaro, and challenger will b using according to the original post, looks very futuristic in all of the concepts i have seen, its not going to b a "reto" supra and look like the old school ones. so all of the american cars are going to look retro and the toyota is going to look futuristic

Bracket Monster said:
yea im really 16. i have friends with early model Supras too, i was saying it because the "reto" mustangs, camaros, and challengers, are 2009 models but looks like the 70s era cars, the Supra, yea they have them in the early 80s or 70s maybe, not sure, but the 2009 supra, which is the year the mustang, camaro, and challenger will b using according to the original post, looks very futuristic in all of the concepts i have seen, its not going to b a "reto" supra and look like the old school ones. so all of the american cars are going to look retro and the toyota is going to look futuristic
I understand exactly what yur sayin'.I also vagally remember when I was 16 back in 1918 (great year):D

vett boy said:
I understand exactly what yur sayin'.I also vagally remember when I was 16 back in 1918 (great year):D

LOL, u were 16 back in 1918? that would make you 104 or 105 depending on the month you were born lol, or did u mean 16 in 1981?

Bracket Monster said:
LOL, u were 16 back in 1918? that would make you 104 or 105 depending on the month you were born lol, or did u mean 16 in 1981?
Yes and I dated a 93 yr old with two teeth last week.

Now as far as Busch going to "Stock" cars I think it would be a good move.:yesnod:

oh so you only go for the women who are atleast 10 years younger than u huh... yea if they made "stock" car racing, actually use stock cars again that would b awesome... wen i watch nascar i always wonder how a bone stock z06 with just a rollcage and other safety equipment would hold up with the nascars...

Back