• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Price on 1990 C4?

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
My wife is kind of interested in getting a Corvette herself, so I've been looking around here and there and found a white 1990 C4 with an auto trans that she might like. What would be a good price for something like this? Bad idea to buy a vette that is 16 years old? Known problems to look for if I were to eyeball it in person?

I saw a C3 sitting on a lot locally as well, but since it is BRIGHT ORANGE in color, there is no way I could get her interested in that one! :ack2:

I think she is going to want me to get rid of my Jeep Wrangler though. Then we have to figure out which two vehicles get the privilege of living under the 2 car carport. The other two will have to sleep under the stars.

Just my :twocents:
Nothing against a '90 but if you're looking at a C4 why not look at a '92 or newer? In '92 the LT1 came out with more horsepower and there were interior and exterior changes that lasted through '96. I bought my '92 new and kept it until I sold it for my '04. 156K miles. I really loved that car, still miss it.

Well mainly because the '90 is here locally, available now, and asking price is $7,700. The wife isn't really interested in more horsepower. And honestly she may not even like the C4 when she drives it. From what I understand it is quite different from a C5.

Heck it may be a dumb idea completely because I'm just not interested in doing too much in the way of auto mechanics stuff myself any more, and it may just be tough to get work done on a car that old.

But we may just go take a look at it one day this week to see how it looks anyway. Supposed to have been garaged all it's life. But still, things just go bad with age in automobiles. :shrug01:

That's a pretty fair asking price Rich, and maybe you could do a little better after talking to the owner. I drove an 88 for about two years and loved it. It was a new car then and in 1988 it was as hot as any USA made car out there. If it's a cream puff, the owner will dicker a little, and your wife likes it, I'd say go for it. If the milage is right and it's been babied, she'll get good service.....:thumbsup: Tom

PS: If I bought a C4 today, it'd be a 96, but then I'd be looking at $15,000+-. No mixed signals here, all of them are great cars, but newer is always better.

Yeah, I hear that. But once I start looking at it that way, then inevitably I would wind up looking at a 2006, getting there one small step at a time. :eek:

exile said:
PS: If I bought a C4 today, it'd be a 96, but then I'd be looking at $15,000+-. No mixed signals here, all of them are great cars, but newer is always better.

Same here...with the LT4.

Well the '90 fell through. Saw an ad for a '96 but the wife didn't like the interior color (white with gray interior). There is another one locally that is silver (not sure of the interior) that we may take a look at if it is still available next week. Got a trip this weekend, so that has priority.

Of course, Connie (my wife) has never even driven a C4 (neither have I, as a matter of fact), so I'm not even sure she will like it. I know she likes the C5, but I understand the two models are somewhat different animals....

So how do you tell if the engine is an LT1 or an LT4 at a glance? And what perzactly is the difference, technically?

If I remember correctly the intake across the top of the motor on a LT1 is black, and on an LT4 its red. This is the intake itself, not just fuel rail covers. About 30 hp is the biggest difference. Similiar to an LS1 vs LS6 comparo.:yesnod:

Are there any external signs on the vehicle, similar to the Z06 badge on the C5 model?

The ad says "Collector's Edition", whatever that means.....

Rich,

Here's a good comparison site for the LT1 vs. LT4 from the Grand Sport Registry.

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

This is the very first line.

While sharing the same bore and stroke, there is a LOT more to the 1996 LT4 engine than just a red intake manifold!

So red intake manifold is your visual clue, just like Z06 Rocket says above.

Here's some info on the '96 CE. I've been contemplating one of these...or a Harley.

http://www.c4corvettes.com/html/1996_collectors_edition.html

Hope this helps Rich.

Yes, I think so. Thanks!

Wish I weren't going away this weekend so I could eyeball the car......

Rich

If your going for a 96, LT-4 is the way to go. One of the best engines ever made IMHO. Had a pair of 96 GS's, way under rated at the 330 HP figure. They are almost bullet proof also.

Any questions, PM me and we can talk.

Jack

gsjack said:
Rich

If your going for a 96, LT-4 is the way to go. One of the best engines ever made IMHO. Had a pair of 96 GS's, way under rated at the 330 HP figure. They are almost bullet proof also.

Any questions, PM me and we can talk.

Jack

Jack,

If it is OK with you, I would prefer keeping this in the thread here. That way this info can be used as a resource for other members who may have the same questions sometime in the future. Is that OK with you?

So, did the LT4 engine come coupled with an auto trans? I have a book that says not, but I'm not sure it is accurate.

I wish I didn't have to go to Daytona this weekend so I could take a look at the CE for sale. But no way I can get to it until maybe Tuesday, at best. Probably be sold by then anyway.

Only came with the 6 speed Rich, auto could not handle the extra ponies.

They did make a few mules back in 94 or 95 with auto trans. and tested them at Sebring.

Unfortunately, they broke, had a friend who tested one for The General.

8K tach in the LT-4's is another way to tell. Red Grand Sport plate is attached to the throttle body on all LT-4 engines.

Jack

In '96 the LT1 was auto and the manual was the LT4. So, if it's a '96 manual it's an LT4. The Collector Edition and Grand Sport were special editions but any '96 stick had the LT4 motor, etc. if I'm not mistaken, right guys?

Well, now I'm confused.......

Take a look at this ad...... http://www.c4corvettes.com/html/c4_s_for_sale.html

The ad says LT4 with Auto trans.....

As for the 1996 Collector's Edition, did they ALL come with LT4 engines and, by implication, manual transmissions?

Since the car I am looking for is for my wife, and she wants an auto transmission, the LT4 may be out of the running entirely. But I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on. I don't want to go into something not knowing what the hell I am doing... Again....

From your link: Year: 1995 Engine: LT4 Auto
No, the LT4 was a one year option, only on the 1996 and only on the manual tranmission. I would pass on the car this guy is trying to sell.
Do you have a copy of the Corvette Black Book? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...ef=sr_1_1/104-8767921-2437527?ie=UTF8&s=books
If not, you might want to pick one up. I buy one every year or so to keep up with the changes in each model year. It's also good for when you're buying a year you don't know about. It's a good resource for the corvette owner/buyer as far as I'm concerned.

Rich Z said:
As for the 1996 Collector's Edition, did they ALL come with LT4 engines and, by implication, manual transmissions?
Ok, to confuse you a little more. The Collector Edition (CE) came either in the LT4 (manual) or LT1 (auto). The Grand Sport was LT4 only.

Rich

All 96 Vettes could be had with the LT-4 powerplant. Had to be mated with the ZF 6 speed only, no auto.

The C.E. could be had with the LT-1 and auto or LT-4 and 6 speed.

C.E. with the red guts sure are purty.:thumbsup:

Your wife would look good in one.;)

Keep us updated...

Jack

Back