• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Embedded video strips - how to

Rich Z

Internet Sanitation Engineer
Staff member
I had this capability originally on this site, but unfortunately it required having native HTML coding enabled within posts, which is a well known security risk. So after I disabled the HTML codes, I had to figure out another solution, because I just like having this sort of capability in inline text.

So, I made the EMBED code into a custom BB coding for this site. I puttered around with it for a while, but finally had to raise the white flag and go to the Jelsoft people for help in implementing it.

Just substitute the brackets"[" and "]" for the "{" and "}" used in the example below:

{embed}http://www.corvetteflorida.com/videos/b4headers.wmv{/embed}

The URL needs to point to the video file, and so far I have only tested this with .WMV files. You can experiment with others, if you like, to see what others, if any, may work as well.

I put an icon that looks like a video camera right in the message posting screen so all you need to do is to click on that button, enter the URL of the video file, click the OK button, and you are done.

I think this will add a bit more *sparkle* to the site with having inline videos like this in the threads...... But let me know if it gets to be a problem with slowing down things in general because of the bandwidth demands.

Speaking of which, I may need to move this site to it's own server sooner or later. I do web hosting, and am getting more accounts lately that are beginning to take a toll on total bandwidth usage of the entire server. Things get pretty sluggish sometimes, and I don't want to kill this site because people get frustrated with the response times of loading pages from it.

Just a fyi............

Back