• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

ZR-1 puts Z-06 to pasture

Yeah, I believe the Z06 is here to stay. Otherwise the Zr-1 would have BEEN a Z06 model. Of course, with buyers and dealers loudly telling GM that they are willing to pay bigger bucks for something like a ZR-1, you do kind of wonder what sort of signal that will send to GM concerning the future. Could they get away with offering a quarter million $$ mid-engined Lambo and Ferrari killer? :shrug01:

They already have a Lambo and Ferrari killer,,, it's called ZR1, and it's no where near a 1/4 million... ;) (The ZR1 has Carbon brakes the same as the Enzo Ferrari).

The C6 Z06 is no shabby Lambo / Ferrari fighter either.... :thumbsup:

Maybe performance wise, yes, but eye candy wise or bragging rights wise? I don't think so.

I believe they need a different body style to compete with the high rolling European supercars. Mid engined, maybe AWD, and definitely spruce up the interior appointments to ooze quality.

Quite honestly, the average Joe is not going to be able to tell the difference between a ZR-1 and a standard C6. But a Ferrari or Lambo rolling by will definitely catch their eyes as something exotic. In my opinion, the ZR-1 just isn't different ENOUGH to get that "OH, BABY!!" gasp from a viewer. To get to that plateau, GM needs to stretch their design department quite a bit.

Hell, for the money, I would rather contract someone to build one of these babies for me -> http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

Take a look at these pics and tell me they don't just give you goose bumps all over.....

gtm01.jpg

gtm02.jpg

gtm03.jpg

gtm04.jpg

gtm05.jpg

gtm06.jpg

gtm07.jpg

gtm08.jpg

gtm09.jpg

Yeah I'm with you...although the rear deck of the car is kinda strange. With $100K, I'd buy a base C6, gut it, and rebuild it to one hell of a racing machine. But that's just me. Well actually, I'd buy a new house, but if I already had that...

The C7 was slated for a 2010 release but considering the ZR1 will probably be in production two years only we are looking at 2011. The pictures you have posted are of the C6 Supercar called the GTM.

It is one mean motherf@#ker. Like I said, the Z06 will be DEAD. We probably won't see another Z06 until the C7. GM doesn't have a reason to sell a Z06 model with the ZR1 dropping. I think the biggest reason the ZR1 being a gas guzzler is not because of the LS9 but because the weight of the ZR1 is greater then even that of the base model C6. It's the one thing about the ZR1 I really dislike.....3300+lbs.

Yeah, I was disappointed to hear about the weight bloat as well. I think some of the money spent on the hood, brakes, and specialty paint over the exposed carbon fiber should have been spent on weight reduction. More titanium and magnesium frame and suspension parts, perhaps. :shrug01:

The C7 was slated for a 2010 release but considering the ZR1 will probably be in production two years only we are looking at 2011. The pictures you have posted are of the C6 Supercar called the GTM.

It is one mean motherf@#ker. Like I said, the Z06 will be DEAD. We probably won't see another Z06 until the C7. GM doesn't have a reason to sell a Z06 model with the ZR1 dropping. I think the biggest reason the ZR1 being a gas guzzler is not because of the LS9 but because the weight of the ZR1 is greater then even that of the base model C6. It's the one thing about the ZR1 I really dislike.....3300+lbs.

That's not dead....... :rolleyes: You contradicted yourself in your own statement.

Maybe performance wise, yes, but eye candy wise or bragging rights wise? I don't think so.

I believe they need a different body style to compete with the high rolling European supercars. Mid engined, maybe AWD, and definitely spruce up the interior appointments to ooze quality.

Quite honestly, the average Joe is not going to be able to tell the difference between a ZR-1 and a standard C6. But a Ferrari or Lambo rolling by will definitely catch their eyes as something exotic. In my opinion, the ZR-1 just isn't different ENOUGH to get that "OH, BABY!!" gasp from a viewer. To get to that plateau, GM needs to stretch their design department quite a bit.

Hell, for the money, I would rather contract someone to build one of these babies for me -> http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

Take a look at these pics and tell me they don't just give you goose bumps all over.....

gtm08.jpg

Hey Rich,
Is it me or does that 'exotic hot baby' resemble my "Love Is Blue" design except mine was based on a 1966 and that's based on a Z-06?
Twin radiator vents on top of the rear deck, air scoops ahead of big wide round rear wheel well openings, BLUE? :lmao:
Very sexy body there.
I would have been honored to built yours into mine for that kind of money a couple of years ago when I was feeling better!:thumbsup: Glenn

Yeah man! If my C5Z ever gets attacked by birds crapping acid that destroys the body, I wouldn't mind at all slipping on these new clothes. I've been reading the material on these guys, and just haven't found anything about comfort items. Like air conditioning. With the engine inside, AC is going to be a MUST, especially here in Florida.

That's not dead....... :rolleyes: You contradicted yourself in your own statement.

How is that a contradiction? I didn't know the Z06 was still in production?

If we see it again it won't be until there is a C7 model and the current and ZR1 are C6 models. Still failing to see the contradiction.:NoNo:

Yes they are. The Z06 has NOT been replaced by the ZR-1.
Well that's a positive for us, however I don't see the benefit of it for Chevrolet. I mean, why buy a ZR1 when you can buy a Z06 for $40K less and put less then $15K into and have better then a ZR1. Whatever! To each his own.

Long live the Z06!!!!:thumbsup:

Misunderstood...again!

Yes they are. The Z06 has NOT been replaced by the ZR-1.

My original header on this post about the Z06 being "put out to pasture" was only about the outstanding performance of the ZR1 over the Z06 in that run, not that it was not going to be offered becasue of the new ZL1.
Like was said, who would want to spend that much extra money for that kind of performance when you can build your Z06 to outrun it? (except those with more money than GOD and no desire to work on their own cars!)
Jeez, you Z06 guys are sure sensitive::rofl1::thumbsup: Glenn

I think the ZO6 and ZR1 are just two completely different markets. I don't expect to see many, if any, ZR1's at the track. Where as you'll always see the ZO6's out there. I think most ZR1's will get stowed away in some garage and forgotten about. Very sad to me. Even the majority of C4 ZR1's you see still have VERY low mileage on them. It's unfortunately going to be a collector's car, not a driver's car.

I think the ZO6 and ZR1 are just two completely different markets. I don't expect to see many, if any, ZR1's at the track. Where as you'll always see the ZO6's out there. I think most ZR1's will get stowed away in some garage and forgotten about. Very sad to me. Even the majority of C4 ZR1's you see still have VERY low mileage on them. It's unfortunately going to be a collector's car, not a driver's car.
:iagree:

Back