The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 04-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #1531
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road

Yes, just pressed in

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #1532
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll do that today sometime..

Thanks!
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #1533
Rich Z

On second thought, I'm going to hold off and order a new throttle body seal and replace that when I remove the throttle body again to tap in those threaded inserts. All things considered, it seems kind of foolish of me to just assume that the seal that is in there now is OK.

Hopefully I can find that throttle body seal and the blow off valve o-ring at the same place.
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #1534
Rich Z

Went to the local Ace Hardware today (Sunday) and found a nearly exact match for that blow off valve o-ring I needed. Surprised the hell out of me, to be honest. I usually come away empty handed with stuff like that when I try to buy locally.

Put the threaded nuts in place in the firewall behind the battery to mount the fuse blocks for the fuel pumps. Still need to mount the loop connectors somewhere in there. Or I could just leave them lay alongside the battery for ease of access.

I got a new Optima yellow top battery the other day, so I can pop that in there any time I am ready for it.

Also got one of the 5 gallon gas cans filled up with gasoline.

Sure wish I had had the forethought to order one of those throttle body seals before today.... And I do hope the place I ordered it from actually has one on the shelf and doesn't drag me out delivering it. If it happens that way, I just may have to do without and try to set those brass thread inserts back into the manifold and skip the new seal for now. Oh yeah, now I remember.... I DID order a new throttle body seal a couple of months ago. But for some darn reason I ordered a seal for the original LS6 style throttle body. Lot of good that is doing me....
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #1535
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

Rich, I admire your patience! By now, I would be into MAJOR body work from beating
on the car with a hammer out of frustration! On a GOOD note, the engine bay looks
awesome, and the rest of the car shows the attention to detail that you have been
putting into the restoration/modification rebuild of the C5Z. All in all, I think that when
you're done with the work the C5Z will be a blast to drive, and will totally surprise
most people. I like this thread, not for the purpose of showing how others screwed up,
but for the purpose of documenting how things should be done right! Your attention
to detail and desire to "do it right" should serve you well down the road!

Andy Anderson
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #1536
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Can you not find a throttle body gasket from napa, autozone, etc? Which reminds me, I'm over due to check the ones on my truck.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #1537
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakedown067 View Post
Can you not find a throttle body gasket from napa, autozone, etc? Which reminds me, I'm over due to check the ones on my truck.
That is a F.A.S.T. 102 intake manifold on my engine, so that seal/gasket is not anything you would find on a production car. I actually did browse through a listing online showing a slew of stock throttle body seals, and there was nothing that looked promising.

No, I think I need to get the exact one made for that intake manifold, unfortunately.

You know, I can't even think of a single retail speed shop close by at all, much less one that has any decent inventory of stock.
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #1538
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Ah yeah...I was thinking since the throttle body was a stock unit you could get a stock gasket. I've had horrible luck with our local, fairly huge, speed shop in gearhead performance for stocking items too. I guess I need an old Mustang or Camaro to help empty their shelves. Heck they don't even stock racing seats as I'd like to replace the ones in my '96.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #1539
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy2kcoupe View Post
Rich, I admire your patience! By now, I would be into MAJOR body work from beating
on the car with a hammer out of frustration! On a GOOD note, the engine bay looks
awesome, and the rest of the car shows the attention to detail that you have been
putting into the restoration/modification rebuild of the C5Z. All in all, I think that when
you're done with the work the C5Z will be a blast to drive, and will totally surprise
most people. I like this thread, not for the purpose of showing how others screwed up,
but for the purpose of documenting how things should be done right! Your attention
to detail and desire to "do it right" should serve you well down the road!

Andy Anderson
Actually, I've been reading over sections of this thread in the past, and this is certainly an exercise in insanity, to say the least.

Heck, I have ALWAYS been of the mind that if you are going to do something, just do it right. I might not have always understood what is the most "right" way to do something, but I gave it my best shot to try to figure it out. I guess what astonishes me about all this is that this sort of trait is not as commonly found as I would have hoped. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten into the mess I have with this car. Heck, did the people who worked on my car think I wouldn't notice what they did (or didn't do), or did they just not give a crap whether I noticed or not? Or in their minds was this really their BEST effort? It truly, TRULY does baffle me, and I suppose I will never understand it.

But that is all really behind me now. I made mistakes in who I chose to work on my car, and those are mistakes that I have to live with now and make the best of it myself. Hopefully the car is TRULY nearly done now and I won't find yet another layer of the onion of things that were done incorrectly that I will need to correct.
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #1540
Curacao
Island in the Caribbean.

Name : Timothy Halley
Curacao is on a distinguished road

The throttle body seal is a rubber/silicone reusable seal so if there is no rips, nicks or stretched its fine to reuse.

-----
Curacao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, aaron scott, chris harwood, rhs block, south georgia corvette, xtrememotorsports