The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Dayumm... I'm in the market for a car cover for the C6 coming soon, so I decided to go to my favorite OTHER Corvette forum to seek out some info and advice. So I am reading along in a thread about car covers and people are making some good suggestions and giving advice from their experiences, and I am happily zipping along soaking in the info. But suddenly, the thread just comes to an abrupt end back in mid July after only running for a shade under a month. So I finally notice that it has been CLOSED! WTF? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1428898

Why in the world was that thread closed? Now I'll be the first to admit that I spend quite a bit of time on that site because of the sheer volume of information that is there, but this just boggles my mind. Is that now normal procedure over there? If so NOW I see what you are talking about, Gordon. Sheesh....

I don't know who the owner of the site is, but I think he/she had better start auditing the actions of the moderators there.
Unread 12-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
Gannet

Name :
Gannet is on a distinguished road

It wasn't closed due to some dastardly action of the moderators. All threads on CF that are in the Archives are closed. It keeps people from accidently or otherwise resurrecting very old threads. You could argue either way as to whether this is good policy, but CF is certainly not the only forum to do it that way.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
Rich Z

Well dang.... How can you tell that thread is in the archive? I just did a search and came up with it. And it's not really that old of a thread.....

So what am I missing here?
Unread 12-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #14
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Mekanic-it better had been Bacardi!

Capt. Morgan and I have an agreement
Feet up on the desk, reading the posts, VO on the rocks in hand and all is well...
Unread 12-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #15
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet
It wasn't closed due to some dastardly action of the moderators. All threads on CF that are in the Archives are closed. It keeps people from accidently or otherwise resurrecting very old threads. You could argue either way as to whether this is good policy, but CF is certainly not the only forum to do it that way.
You're correct; however, when do they decide to make a thread an archived thread and close it?

Do a search and you'll find plenty of threads that were last posted on in September but are still active.

Ive never seen another forum including the other oneI mod on lock an archived thread. I'm sure they are out there though.

They just locked another one because a guy asked a very touchy question. I think he could have worded it better, but none the less, it was still a valid question

Instead of the posters giving him some sort of a serious answer, they began to bash him. It;s sort of kneejerk, mob mentality that we normally see there on certain subjects

Instead of the MOD having the juevos to fix thr problem, he just locked the thread

Seems thats the way it goes there with certain people

Same thing with the CARFAX BS. It's apparently a to ask someone to run one for you. Seems the admins have determined that to be "theft of services", yet it;s ok for some members to provide DMV information to certain others gleaned from data bases that are not accessible to the public

Not only is that a ..IT's ILLEGAL!! But i guess that passed the admins simple thought process

I get more fed up there by the day!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 10:45 PM   #16
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Vettes
Feet up on the desk, reading the posts, VO on the rocks in hand and all is well...
No there ya go!
Unread 12-17-2006, 01:22 AM   #17
Rich Z

Quote:
Same thing with the CARFAX BS. It's apparently a to ask someone to run one for you. Seems the admins have determined that to be "theft of services", yet it;s ok for some members to provide DMV information to certain others gleaned from data bases that are not accessible to the public

Not only is that a ..IT's ILLEGAL!! But i guess that passed the admins simple thought process
Well, I have looked over the Terms and Conditions page on CarFax (http://www.carfax.com/cfm/legal_disclaimer.cfm) and wading through the legal mumbo jumbo, I really can't see any restriction against my running a CarFax for someone else, or even GIVING them my logon info as long as they are using it for personal uses, as am I. Anyone able to pick that out of the text?
Unread 12-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #18
Gannet

Name :

Quote:
I agree to pay a one-time charge of $24.99 (USD), plus applicable sales tax, according to my card issuer agreement. This 30 day Unlimited CARFAX Reports Plan is valid for 30 days from the date the first report is run, and is intended for my personal use only.
and

Quote:
CARFAX offers you access to the Site and to the Content available on the Site solely for your own personal and non-commercial use.
You can't buy one CARFAX personal account and then use it for 100 of your buddies on a chat board.

Really, I wish you guys would STOP with the Corvette Forum bashing. Yes, you have "free speech", within whatever boundaries this site's owner sets. Yes, I even agree with just about all of the complaints and sentiments expressed, and even have another set of my own. That's not the point. It is tacky, at best, to bitch about one online forum on another online forum. Don't like the place, don't go there. Disagree with the way it's run, complain to the site owners or mods. Don't bash them here. It's like talking behind someone's back.

You wonder why some forums are sensitive about links from other forums? Well, this sort of thing is one of the reasons why.

Just my opinion.
Unread 12-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #19
Gannet

Name :

Quote:
You're correct; however, when do they decide to make a thread an archived thread and close it?
They don't "decide". There's an algorithm running on the site software that ages threads automatically. Usually they work by age of newest post in the thread. If you go to the bottom-right of any of the post list pages you'll see the links for page "1 2 3 Last". Click Last and you will see the oldest posts that are still open. Right now in C5 General it's running at 9-17, so I assume they have it set to three months. Surely a thread that has not had any new posts in the last three months is ready for the archives?
Unread 12-17-2006, 10:22 AM   #20
Shadow

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet
and
You can't buy one CARFAX personal account and then use it for 100 of your buddies on a chat board.

As I see it, based upon what you just quoted, yes...you can. As long as you're not using it for "commercial gain", they are not paying for it or using it for personal gain (other than it's intended use-to purchase a clean car) then it's personal use. If I were charging members to run them, that'd be a different story. Someone is going to have to show me where CARFAX specifically articulates that one can't run a report for a friend without compensation. Otherswise I stand by my opinion on this one..

One thing I can tell you for a fact though is DMV information being supplied to another is illegal inthe State of Florida. As a LEO, I can't even release the information to the victim. A P.I. has to have a client and even then, it's a gray area as to whether they can release the information to other than an attorney or othe party representing the client. Try going into DMV ans just telling them that you want to run a tag. See how well that works
But this little diddy seems to be ignored by the mods. I personally could care less about it and feel it should under certain circumstances, be made available. But if you're going to cop a holier than though..."this is theft" attitude about CARFAX, then do the same for disallowing criminal actions on the other as well!!!
Right is right and wrong is wrong!

Really, I wish you guys would STOP with the Corvette Forum bashing. Yes, you have "free speech", within whatever boundaries this site's owner sets. Yes, I even agree with just about all of the complaints and sentiments expressed, and even have another set of my own. That's not the point. It is tacky, at best, to bitch about one online forum on another online forum. Don't like the place, don't go there. Disagree with the way it's run, complain to the site owners or mods. Don't bash them here. It's like talking behind someone's back.

I agree. Thats why I didn't mention the name of the forum or the moderator(s) involved in my initial post..
I'm not "bashing" CorvetteForum and I don't believe in talking about someone behind thier back. Unfortunately, you can't vent or voice theses opinions over there without retribution
I vented here, simply because you CAN"T vent there.

If I thought that it'd do any good, I'd have taken my gripe to the source. But having done so in the past, I found it a total waste of time! I don't expect them to agree with me or even change thier opinion. I do expect a level of decency and common courtesy among users and sometimes brothers in employment.
If someone asks me why I did something in a PM, I'll always give them my reason or rationale. If it doesn't sit well with them, I'm sorry, but I'll never ignore you or give you a kurt response! I've even reopened threads and apologized on another forum I mod for over a misunderstanding. Simply put, I made a mistake...imagine that? You live and learn...one hopes?

Complaining or talking to the site owner or a mod?

When you ask a question of an adminsitrator/owner, unless you're one of the choosen few, you "might" get an answer in a month or so. Thats not only rude, it's illogical as a business owner and YES, CF is a business.

I decided a while back to become a lifetime supporting member. Why? Because, just like here, I believed in what they were doing and it helped further the cause of the "brotherhood" of the corvette community. I hand carried (happened to be in the area) my payment to the "office."

I found it to be a UPS Box in Sarasota. The HQ is about 6"10"

Then it took them 2+ months to receive it, post it and get my sig in order

If you take a look in the "steering committe" section, there are a lot of great ideas put forth my members that go ignored for months if not permanantely by the site owner/administrators??

Sometimes the site owner won't even respond in a thread for months at a time to address an issue?

I've joked before that we're not a "steering committee" we're just drift and along for the ride.

Trying to talk with "some" (not all-we have some good one there too) of the mods there will usually net the same result It's a waste of time and typing skill.

Making a complaint, suggestion or noting a problem will simply get the poster locked down and either temporarily or permanantly banned

Overall if you stay out of OT, the sites ok. I go there form much the same reasons Rich and I'm sure many others do. Simply becasue of the wealth of information that is presented there. When you have thousands of users from all over the world, it's bound to have something we don't have on a local forum.

You wonder why some forums are sensitive about links from other forums? Well, this sort of thing is one of the reasons why.

Just my opinion.
I'm sorry Gannet if you thought I was bashing the other forum. There's no reason to do so. The 2 are totally different client bases with some overlap (for FLorida owners) and can and do quite cohesively co-exsist with each other

I was simply venting among friends over a wrong I felt had occurred and unfortunately, didn't feel that I couldn't vent there or to the party involved.

If I offended you, you have my apologies. And you opinion is ALWAYS welcomed