The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 08-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #21
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Man, I have heard LOTS of horror stories about those cheap Chinese knockoff headers concerning fitment. I wouldn't even consider them, even if they were for free. When you are talking about performance enhancements for your pride and joy, the LAST thing you want to do is go the cheapest route you can find.

Get stainless steel, get them ceramic coated, and get them installed by someone who knows what they are doing and then have the car tuned to get the most out of their potential.

I have NEVER heard anyone complain after doing something right the first time.
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
C5 Bearsfan

Name :
C5 Bearsfan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
Whats funny is when I google "obx corvette headers", the first link is to the corvette forum c5 tech section, and its nothing but complaints and links to other threads of horror stories.

Theyre cheap chinese ebay headers. Sure pay 600 now, but when they fault on you an you cant get a hold of their customer service, you gonna drop another 600 or so on another set?

Your money is better spent on a company who put money into R+D, engineering an the actual finished product.

I beg to differ on the OBX headers. I have them perosnally and love them. The install was a breeze. Only issue was the tunnel plate and the passenger AIR tube because i have a 99 and the 01 to 04 cars are what the ehaders are designed for.

For the people who want to spend 650.00 on headers its a great deal. OBX has ALOT more stuff in the works.
C5 Bearsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #23
C5 Bearsfan

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou G View Post
I checked their website and they don't list C6s.
I agree with the comments about buying cheap, getting cheap.
Don't want to mess with that. When I am ready, it will probably be Melrose.
Its because OBX has not upgraded the websit ein over a year.
The C6 headers will fit LS2 or LS3 motors. LS7 is on the way
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #24
C5 Bearsfan

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Man, I have heard LOTS of horror stories about those cheap Chinese knockoff headers concerning fitment. I wouldn't even consider them, even if they were for free. When you are talking about performance enhancements for your pride and joy, the LAST thing you want to do is go the cheapest route you can find.

Get stainless steel, get them ceramic coated, and get them installed by someone who knows what they are doing and then have the car tuned to get the most out of their potential.

I have NEVER heard anyone complain after doing something right the first time.
they are stainless, they can be coated and will have options for catted or resonators in the near future.

AGAIN these are for the people who do not want to spend the money on the awesome products that LG, ARH, and the others sell. They make great products its jus tsome people cant and dont want to spend that much.
Unread 08-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #25
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Bearsfan View Post
Its because OBX has not upgraded the websit ein over a year.
The C6 headers will fit LS2 or LS3 motors. LS7 is on the way
Is there really that much of a difference in a 99 to a 01-04 corvette to make headers not sit flush cause of a tunnel plate and passenger air tube?

I just tried to find headers for a 04 Corvette (this is 5 years of time to work on the site), and all they showed me were fart cannon style mufflers. If a company is to lazy to update their site with parts, then Id say they're pretty lazy on the rest.

People think of corvettes as being awesome, especially the ones who make it a life dream or cant afford one. So why have an awesome car, and not an awesome exhaust? Why settle for second best? (if OBX can be classified for that) If you expose those headers to everyday elements on a car like mine that's daily driven, those EBay headers will rust and crack. They might be good for the type of vette owner who garages his 24/7 an only takes it out to car shows or the casual Sunday drive to the market .

Are you the type of owner who loves America, so you bought an American car? Type of person who wants to support the American economy? Then why buy from some Chinese company, only helping them to own us in the future.

Honestly, why would a company offer an exhaust setup that not only consist of long tube headers, but a complete x-pipe and..and catalytic converters for a mere 649$$. If a single catalytic converter cost like 500 bucks, whats that say for this complete (minus rear muffler section of course) exhaust setup?

Think my dynamax superflow long tubes with x-pipe cost 1300 combined. They went on the car with 17k miles and currently at 34k miles. The pipes still look brand new, and the none coated headers don't even have a hint of heat bluing or rust. Ive even bottomed the headers out on a couple speed bumps..still no rust where they got minor dents and scrapes.

Its all apples an oranges, but to me when it comes to putting parts on my baby, my "awesome" ride...Im not gonna short change her with cheaper parts. Theres some things in life you gotta splurge on even if it means waiting an extra month to gather the funds.
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #26
C5 Bearsfan

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
Is there really that much of a difference in a 99 to a 01-04 corvette to make headers not sit flush cause of a tunnel plate and passenger air tube?

The C5 headers are designed for a 01 to 04 for the AIR setup on the passenger side. The airtube connects to the second tube on the 01 to 04 cars and the third on the 97 to 00. So in order to make this work you have to do a couple things. One either delete the air tube itself and use a block off plate or two buy the 01 to 04 airtub and reconnect. This requires more work in removal of the intake. The tunnel plate is because the rear o2 bung is off. I know these two problems were never really mentioned to OBX till this week by myself. I had a conversation with the guy who designs the products they make under the oBX brand name. The issue of the bungs will be changed in the future and the option for two different C5 sets will be a possibility as well. I just tried to find headers for a 04 Corvette (this is 5 years of time to work on the site), and all they showed me were fart cannon style mufflers. If a company is to lazy to update their site with parts, then Id say they're pretty lazy on the rest.
I guess i dont understand this as the mufflers are in the carback part of this system. Of which by the way OBX has a C5 catback exhaust that will be available next week for less than 500.00. The pieces i think your refferring to is the resonators. They are right now an off road setup. A catted option is coming soon.
People think of corvettes as being awesome, especially the ones who make it a life dream or cant afford one. So why have an awesome car, and not an awesome exhaust? Why settle for second best? (if OBX can be classified for that) If you expose those headers to everyday elements on a car like mine that's daily driven, those EBay headers will rust and crack. They might be good for the type of vette owner who garages his 24/7 an only takes it out to car shows or the casual Sunday drive to the market .

I fall into one of the garage queen owners personally and only drive my car on weekends and 6 months a year tops because of the winter. Are you the type of owner who loves America, so you bought an American car? Type of person who wants to support the American economy? Then why buy from some Chinese company, only helping them to own us in the future.

You would be surprised what parts are actually made in China that are of American branded name on them. OBX is actually an American company based in California that has the product produced in China because the cost is much less. I actually looked into a part to be made and the difference was huge. The peice i am lookig at still requires an injection mold setup and in the US would cost me $125,000 to $140,000 for the design and setup. In China it can be done for around $60,000 for the exact same peice.
Honestly, why would a company offer an exhaust setup that not only consist of long tube headers, but a complete x-pipe and..and catalytic converters for a mere 649$$. If a single catalytic converter cost like 500 bucks, whats that say for this complete (minus rear muffler section of course) exhaust setup?

The system they are selling right now does not come with cats. The cost of the stainless for the system is only around 100 to 150.00 for all peices. The future setup with cats will be more than the 649.99

Think my dynamax superflow long tubes with x-pipe cost 1300 combined. They went on the car with 17k miles and currently at 34k miles. The pipes still look brand new, and the none coated headers don't even have a hint of heat bluing or rust. Ive even bottomed the headers out on a couple speed bumps..still no rust where they got minor dents and scrapes.
you have a great setup and i have never said different about any of the brands of headers. I am only saying that for the bang for the buck for the people who do not want to or can not afford the brand name headers have an option now. With the C5 market dropping in price there is a younger crowd who might not be able to afford the high end stuff who still want to mod thier car. There are C5's out there for 14 to 15k right now and its a total different market than a few years ago when you couldnt find anything for less than 20k. So people budgets are different this is just an option for them in headers.

Its all apples an oranges, but to me when it comes to putting parts on my baby, my "awesome" ride...Im not gonna short change her with cheaper parts. Theres some things in life you gotta splurge on even if it means waiting an extra month to gather the funds.
I agree with you on this. There are other reasons I have them on my car and I am one who likes the best of the best. I am not trying to argue with anyone over whats bext for thier car. There just isnt alot of info out the on the less expensive headers like the oBX for people to be informed about is all.
Unread 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #27
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Loud mufflers cruising problems with my wife solved.
Thor gave me the idea of the GM NPP mufflers. I purchased a set for $1,380 plus tax and the NPP in the Box from Nakid Parts.
My best friend retired a couple of years ago but the fellow he sold his gas station and repair shop to, lets him use one of the lifts when the business is not too busy.
It took us three hours to replace the mufflers and install the NPP in a Box kit.
I love the muscle sound when the flap is open and it is quiet when closed.
I am very happy with the results.
Now I plan to sell the MidAmerica Quad Cruisers.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Did you add the Melrose headers too? Glad the NPP is working well for you. The M2W switch is simply awesome.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #29
MRS. XTREME

Name :
MRS. XTREME is on a distinguished road

AWESOME !!!!!!

Post some pics when you get everything done
MRS. XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #30
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR View Post
Did you add the Melrose headers too? Glad the NPP is working well for you. The M2W switch is simply awesome.
No. Did not get the Melrose headers yet. Wanted to hear the sound without them. My friend and I will install them and it will take a bit more time on the lift to do that. Don't want to over-extend our welcome on the lift.
We will probably do the Cold Air Induction and Throttle Body in a couple of months and the headers after the first of the year.
We take our time doing these things and being our age, we need to stop working every hour or so to take a pee.
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote